Mic Pre Suggestions

• Members

Hey guys. Got some questions for you. I have a Digi002 rig that has been modded by BLA and I'm very happy with. I recently got a Digimax FS to expand my I/O and again am impressed. However I'd still like to get to 16 mic pres and add a little flavor/options. I already have a Grace Designs 101 mic pre but still have 3 more line inputs. I had planned on adding a Groove Tubes Brick Pre and an FMR RNP to finish it out.

However if you were in my shoes which pres would you pick? and what would you mainly use them on (OH's, Acoustic Guitar, Vocals, Electric Guitar, ect)? So far I plan on using this rig to record my Dad's band (Southern Gospel), but I'm in to Rock stuff. But I'd like to be able to record whatever comes my way. I think the modded Digi pre's and Digimax already give me a solid "neutral" selection of pres. So I'm looking for "color". I'm even willing to get more than 3 once funds allow. My plan had been to someday get an Apogee Rosetta 200 and a Presonus ADL600 for a pair of "gold" channels. But for now let's keep the budget sub $2000. Oh and I've also been very tempted to pick up a lunch box and add some pres that way.

FWIW my mic collection includes: Audix D4 and D6, 4 x CAD M179's, M-Audio Pulsar (pair), Rode K2, SM57, Beta 57, Heil PR20UT, and a Nady RSM-5 ribbon (think that's all). So I could still use some work here to. But I do have access to a pair of SM81's, more 57's and 58's, and an AKG D112. Okay enough :blah:

Go. ;)

And thanks in advance.:thu:

• Members

I have never used the Grace Designs before, but own an RNP and really like it. That said, I can't help but think that you might want something different from a "clean" sort of sound that I think the Grace is supposed to have, and might want to go with The Brick for something different.

• Members

Thanks for the suggestions so far. Yeah Ken, the grace 101 is a super clean pre. I got it mainly to use with the nady ribbon, as it is the ribbon version with extra gain. However I've been able to get enough level out of my other pres when using, so I don't have to keep it. And my reasoning for the brick is that it should be almost the opposite pre, if that makes sense. I've also heard it's a great bass di.

Also the 610's have been on my radar. I just wasn't sure I wanted them and the brick. Seems they might be pretty similar. Guess I could get the 610's instead.

Redundancy is also my concern with the rnp. From what I've read, it's fairly neutral, no? I think I'd prefer something more along the lines of the Neve portico series. But that's pushing my budget. And really $2000 is more than I have now. But am always willing to save more if necessary. ;)

Oh and as far as a lunchbox goes. I'll pose a new question. If you were to get 4 channels of 500 series pres, which would they be?

And still listening to any other ideas suggestions. Thanks again. Matt.

• Members

I have four channels of 500-series preamps - two API 512c and two Great River MP-500NV modules. So far I've had no reason to regret my choices. :)

That said, I also have a Groove Tubes Brick and two FMR RNP units and they're solid. You'd most likely be better off buying a Brick and an RNP and putting the rest of the money into a better mic as opposed to going with more expensive preamps. That's my two cents on it, anyway. You can get really good results out of a Brick and an RNP.

• Members

The Brick is an excellent bass DI. One guy I was recording said "That's the sound I've always wanted and couldn't get!" I had him in the Brick, and had spun the gain knob to the right place. Great! Next.

I have a Summit Audio 2ba-221, which is more hi-fi sounding than the Brick, but still has a tube circuit. It's a tiny bit hissy (even afetr factory servicing) but really only noticeable under headphones at tracking volume. I like the variable input impedance, mics really open up when it's dialed right. The variable HPF is a plus, and the fact that mic and line ins can work simultaneously, along with both 1/4 and XLR outputs.

• Members

I recently purchased an ISA One and I've been VERY happy with it. The switchable impedance modes are fantastic with different mics and that thing has a ton of gain on tap... makes a solid DI too.

If I had the cash though I'd definitely start a 500 rack though!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

The Brick is an excellent bass DI. One guy I was recording said "That's the sound I've always wanted and couldn't get!" I had him in the Brick, and had spun the gain knob to the right place. Great! Next.

I have a Summit Audio 2ba-221, which is more hi-fi sounding than the Brick, but still has a tube circuit. It's a tiny bit hissy (even afetr factory servicing) but really only noticeable under headphones at tracking volume. I like the variable input impedance, mics really open up when it's dialed right. The variable HPF is a plus, and the fact that mic and line ins can work simultaneously, along with both 1/4 and XLR outputs.

Thanks for all the input. I have done a lot of thinking and "researching" on the subject. There are a lot of options for sure. Anywho I found a pair of the Summit Audio pres for a reasonable price and they should be here soon. I've decided I'll probably sell the 101 and buy a pair of Five Fish X-12 pres next. I'm hoping he runs the 500 series modules on sale again soon. If he does I'll pick up a pair and the A-Designs 2-space rack. If not I'll get his rack and two of the DIY kits. I've always enjoyed tinkering with electronics. Guess I'll try to build my own.

And when I decide to take my entire rig to the next level, I plan on getting a Seventh Circle DIY kit. Then I'll have to decide which modules to get. Right now I'm thinking 4 N72's, 2 A12's and 2 J99's. Anywho that is still a while away. Thanks again

Matt

• 2 weeks later...

Archived