Midi controllers?

• Members

I'm primarily a guitarist/singer/songwriter. I use Logic Express for recording. I'd like a basic midi controller for occasional piano, organ, strings and horn ideas for my original recordings. Could anybody recommend a good quality basic midi controller? I don't have much midi knowledge. I'd like something better than my computer keyboard for midi sounds. Thanks

If you have a MIDI interface on your computer, then any MIDI keyboard can serve as a "controller" for you. If not, I'd recommend looking for a controller keyboard with a USB / MIDI interface on it; if for no other reason than to save yourself a few bucks by not having to purchase a MIDI interface for your computer.

The next questions would be the ones nerol1st asked. What kind of budget are we talking about? How many keys do you want / need? Weighted, semi-weighted or unweighted action? Any other features you want / need, such as drum pads or faders and rotary controls that transmit MIDI controller commands and can be used as controllers for your DAW / plugin / virtual instrument software?

On a tight budget, I would recommend checking out something like the M-Audio Oxygen 49. They have multi-use sliders, four octaves of full sized unweighted ("synth action") velocity sensitive keys, pitch and modulation wheels, a USB MIDI interface and can be bus powered for mobile use. They also make versions with 25 and 61 keys.

http://www.m-audio.com/index.php?do=products.main&ID=ffd1ae78da2bfd6bbc80180f03c27d56&INTCMP=MA-BN-OX3

They sell for about $160 new.

• Members

If you have a MIDI interface on your computer, then any MIDI keyboard can serve as a "controller" for you. If not, I'd recommend looking for a controller keyboard with a USB / MIDI interface on it; if for no other reason than to save yourself a few bucks by not having to purchase a MIDI interface for your computer.

The next questions would be the ones nerol1st asked. What kind of budget are we talking about? How many keys do you want / need? Weighted, semi-weighted or unweighted action? Any other features you want / need, such as drum pads or faders and rotary controls that transmit MIDI controller commands and can be used as controllers for your DAW / plugin / virtual instrument software?

On a tight budget, I would recommend checking out something like the M-Audio Oxygen 49. They have multi-use sliders, four octaves of full sized unweighted ("synth action") velocity sensitive keys, pitch and modulation wheels, a USB MIDI interface and can be bus powered for mobile use. They also make versions with 25 and 61 keys.

They sell for

Thanks! A friend recommended a 49 key m-audio Key station. Too basic?

Archived