Can anybody post a sample of solo'd o well recorded electric guitar?

• Members

I did a small project, but guitars I recorded recently were rejected by the producer, due to being"flat and lifeless". They had to be low in the mix, among lots of other instruments in a pop tune. Here's a sample:

30-second sample of the "rejected" guitar track. Right-click and choose "Save As..."

so, any criticisms or suggestions are welcome, as well as examples of how it should be recorded.

Or, Can anybody post a sample of solo'd electric guitar? Just clean / crunch guitar track, whichever rhythm part it may happen to play, just a couple of seconds, solo (without the rest of the mix), so I can see how poor my recording is?

Edit: I just want to add, that the Great Judge Of Tone wasn't unhappy with what was played or how things were played. He didn't like the recording itself.

• Members

It sounds fine. It's recorded fine and played fine.

My guess is that the producer just wants a different sound. Try recording the part with slightly less "grind" in the amp. Also, leave out the tremolo and chorus effects when you give him the stem. Or give him two versions: one with FX, one without.

I did a small project, but guitars I recorded recently were rejected by the producer, due to being"flat and lifeless". They had to be low in the mix, among lots of other instruments in a pop tune. Here's a sample:

so, any criticisms or suggestions are welcome, as well as examples of how it should be recorded.

Or, Can anybody post a sample of solo'd electric guitar? Just clean / crunch guitar track, whichever rhythm part it may happen to play, just a couple of seconds, solo (without the rest of the mix), so I can see how poor my recording is?

Edit: I just want to add, that the Great Judge Of Tone wasn't unhappy with what was played or how things were played. He didn't like the
recording
itself.

• Members

It certainly doesnt sound bad to me.

At the risk of trying to get into his ears/head (which is practically impossible, but I may as well give it a shot) it may be because the sound tails off a lot at the top of the high mids, 4-5khz, and there isnt much above that in the 'air' and 'shimmer' parts of the spectrum, 6k+.

But thats just a guess. He may be after something totally different.

Also, I hope the effects arent printed - if a producer/AE is going to print effects, they're probably going to want to choose their settings, or be part of the choosing of settings. I'm sure he could hear/imagine what he wants to do with a dry track, so I'd send that.

• Members

well, guys, the singer spoke to him yesterday, and the producer said, that guitars are no good, and he has a different player to do that. so, i don't really know if it's the sound, the tone, or the actual part that iplayed that he doesn't like, he basically accepted everything, including a horn solo that was recorded with some digital clipping, but rejected guitars.

i know that the player that has to play instead of me is sort of a co-owner of the producers studio, and virtually every project that gets recorded there has that player, so, f*cking f*ck it. i don't care anymore.

edit: i'll post the entire tune, just for discussion's sake

• Members

Here's the entire mix, sans keyboards and vocals. It's not "mixed", just all the tracks without any processing / EQing, "all knobs at noon". Right-click and choose "Save As..."

feel free to voice your opinion on the fact if guitars are as bad as i was told. please be honest, because if they suck, i need to know why. otherwise, how do I make any progress:)

• Members

i know that the player that has to play instead of me is sort of a co-owner of the producers studio, and virtually every project that gets recorded there has that player, so, f*cking f*ck it. i don't care anymore.

edit: i'll post the entire tune, just for discussion's sake

I havent listened to the clip but whats up with that? Are you a temporary musician in the band or is it a solo project? If its a band why would the other members tolerate that? Ever band can have better musicians sit in but whats the point of that?

• Members

well.

i know a pretty good drummer locally, who won a couple of contests and finally got in a band, which had a contract with a major. After 2 yrs of being in that band, he dropped out - due to health reasons - and started a new band of his own, this time as a frontman. This dude is very success-oriented, and kind of pushing things towards the commercial way of making music. So he needed a band, and after going through like 4 or 5 guitar players settled on humble fiddle-playing me, finally. The task was to record 3 songs for radio / promo / video shoot. And yep, they're - the main dude, the boss and the rest of the band - kinda confident they won't find anyone better locally, but at the same thime, they so want to please the producer and finally sign the deal.

and yep, in this case i am a hired gun.

• Members

It sounds fine. It's recorded fine and played fine.

My guess is that the producer just wants a different sound. Try recording the part with slightly less "grind" in the amp. Also, leave out the tremolo and chorus effects when you give him the stem. Or give him two versions: one with FX, one without.

dude, OMG, i finally got it - you're Jon Finn? i have your Advanced Rock Improvisation somewhere, back from the 90s I think, i learnt a lot! some of what i learnt from it is probably in that sample, too ))

Archived