Looking to buy a Condenser mic

• Members

Hello everyone I'm looking to buy a condenser mic over the next couple of weeks for recording vocals and acoustic guitar. I have PT LE 8 and an Mbox 2 that I'd be hooking the mic up to. I'd be willing to spend up to $550. The mics I've looked at are the Blue Baby Bottle, Shure KSM32 and Rode NT2A. If anyone has any thoughts on these or another recommendations I'd appreciate it a lot.

-Eric

• Members

HI xtratorque,

There are plenty of affordable and decent condenser mics around these days.

Apart from consulting reviews, the best advice is make listening tests if at all possible, i.e. if you have a pro audio store in your area.

All the ones you mentioned have good reputations, but all have different sound character and it depends on what sound you're after. Another brand to consider is SE microphones.

Good luck :)

T

• Members

i'd recommend at least looking into SE electronics' se2200a and z3300a. i think the se2200a is sometimes compared to the ones you're looking at, and it gets me a nice acoustic guitar sound and i'm pleased with how it handles my vocals. i haven't used a z3300a but it seems like it's the same idea with some extra bells and whistles.

disclaimer - the only other microphone i've used to record acoustic guitar is an sm57, so my knowledge is limited! that's why i say "look into their range", not "rush out and buy".

• Members

Hello everyone I'm looking to buy a condenser mic over the next couple of weeks for recording vocals and acoustic guitar. I have PT LE 8 and an Mbox 2 that I'd be hooking the mic up to. I'd be willing to spend up to $550. The mics I've looked at are the Blue Baby Bottle, Shure KSM32 and Rode NT2A. If anyone has any thoughts on these or another recommendations I'd appreciate it a lot.

-Eric

I've got an NT2 and a Blue Baby bottle. Very different mics. The bottle is quite dark. Very honest mid range. A really good mic on wood and the right acoustic instrument. Hit and miss for vocals but when it works it's a really definite sound that can sit right in to a mix. The bottle is probably the only mic I own that I rarely Eq at all.

I also recommend SE mics. I haven't experienced all of them but the ones I have used (5600 and 5600MkII, 2200, Gemini) are very accomplished sounding mics. The 2200 is under rated in my opinion.

The 2200 is under rated in my opinion.

I reviewed the 3300 a few years ago, and I really liked it a lot - in some ways, even better than the original version of the Gemini - which by comparison, seemed a bit too bright to me. But the 3300 is very nicely balanced, and is a good "multi-purpose" mic that would work well on a variety of instruments and vocalists.

I also totally agree with Rimmer regarding the Blue Baby Bottle. It's an under-appreciated mic IMO. It's not right for a lot of vocalists (it tends to work better on female singers IMO), but when it is, it can sound stellar. I don't know that it would be the first thing I'd reach for on acoustic guitar though - unless the guitar is pretty bright, it might be a bit too dark sounding for that application.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

The 2200 is under rated in my opinion.

I reviewed the 3300 a few years ago, and I really liked it a lot - in some ways, even better than the original version of the Gemini - which by comparison, seemed a bit too bright to me. But the 3300 is very nicely balanced, and is a good "multi-purpose" mic that would work well on a variety of instruments and vocalists.

A strange thing happened. I was looking for a Fig.8 mic for Blumlein, MS stuff and came across a Z3300a in the local paper.. Just went and bought it (after a good testing).

If I ever get home from working away, i'll have a good chance to run it through it's paces (as well as my Mojave MA-200 that I haven't used properly yet..!!).

The tests results with the 3300 were pretty impressive.. Very clean and hardly sibilant, which I was surprised at considering it's somewhat bright edge. Nice and crispy but not too much to make it appear brash. Very clean and full on the acoustic guitar we had there.

I didn't detect anything specifically coloured about it which is why I wanted it. If someone is looking for a mic with an off beat character then this is probably not what your looking for. A solid, clean and big FET sound? then this seems pretty capable.. Good price for a semi-multi pattern mic as well..:thu:

• Members

KEL

http://www.kelaudio.com/

Nice...Hm7u,,,most of their mics are voiced without the harshness associated with cheaper LDC's. I find them useful for quite a many things..vox, guitar cabs, acoustic guitar, the sounds that women make when they don't want anything to do with me...mostly cussing.

All of these mics are nice, my buddy has a pair of HM2D's..great value, smooth and big, rich voicing

All of these mics take eQ very well.

Im hab no association with KEL

(edited for more detail)

Archived