Mobile Recording Interfaces

• Members

i used to have focusrite saffire (the original grey model), but i got rid of it when switching to a macbook air that does not have firewire.

now most of the time im travelling, so it's just me, a guitar fx, a preamp and a mic recording really shoddily into a macbook with ableton..

looking to get a proper interface, with the following:

minimum 2 ins.

midi in/out and thru if possible

usb2 or thunderbolt (not that its of any use)

bus-powered, no stuffing around with power supplies.

i've looked at focusrite's current range and nothing meets this.. the scarlet 8i6 looks good, but its not bus powered.

does anybody have any good suggestions?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Members

The "new" Mbox Pro looks really good - I heard from some people that the sound quality is Apogee "Duet" like.

You might want to check it out...

Best wishes,

Derk

If I wanted something smallish I'd look into both of these boxes. I've heard really good things about both. And fwiw there is a pro review of the new Mbox's on here. They are in a whole different league than the earlier ones.

• Members

And fwiw there is a pro review of the new Mbox's on here. They are in a whole different league than the earlier ones.

As the guy who's moderating the pro review, I think it may have been a mistake to call the new line "MBox" because the new ones are so much better.

I currently use the FireStudio Mobile with Ableton Live, it's the right combination of small size, rugged construction, good mic pres, and MIDI. I've heard good things about the M-Audio Fast Track C-series that was just introduced (and they have MIDI) but part of the price is you're paying for Pro Tools M-Powered that comes with it.

The need for MIDI takes a lot of interfaces out of the running, like the Mackie Blackjack and Focusrite Si2.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I guess it's not "smallish" is it? I use this for location recording of bands here in the Vero Beach, Fl. area. I sure wish I could get more projects in and around the area.
:)
You can check out some of my location recordings at my web site below.

132285103.jpg

nice rig! are you running 3 interfaces into 1 computer?

• Members

Yep, 3 interfaces into one computer on one cable from the three devices. Recording was done with one round of Reaper going. I've only needed two units so far, up to 18 channels. All of the recording on my site is live recording using the rig above, except, of course, the Michael Murphy recording from 1976 or so. That was 1/2" 8 track tape on a Tascam 80-8 w/DBX NR.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Archived