It's time to play "name the mikes"

Correct on the Coles 4038 (it's on the far right), but I'm pretty sure that's not an E/V 635A. They look similar, but that particular mic (in the picture) is a cardioid, not an omni like the 635A, and for that matter, it's not an E/V - it was built in Europe somewhere... I don't want to say any more than that lest I give it away. ;)

• Members

#1 U87 or U67?

#2 Newman D01 U87 or Heil?

#3 Newman Tube mic CMV3? No idea on the model

#4 Pretty sure its an EV - maybe a 635A

#5 RCA 44A or 77DX?

#6 Newman M49?

#7 AKG C12 or other AKG?

Phil, Once all the models are identified, coming up with street value would be a good teaser.

You're really close Lee. :)

Number 1 is definitely a U67 (or a M269 - it's impossible to tell from this angle and with this resolution). A U87 doesn't have the Tuchel connector.

No, number four is not a Beyer.

The Neumann (sixth from the left) is correctly identified by brand, but I think you're very slightly off on the model number. Here's a hint: The jewel color in that picture appears to be white.

The one you had no idea about is probably the oldest and rarest mic in that picture.

And finally, I think the Neumann U47 is actually a U48. EMI / Abbey Road preferred the '48's cardioid / bi-directional polar patterns over the U47's cardioid / omni patterns, and even sent their 47's back to Neumann to be modded into U48 specs.

Phil, Once all the models are identified, coming up with street value would be a good teaser.

I think we could probably do a rough estimate, although Mic #8 in that picture would be very difficult to accurately evaluate in terms of "value" or "price" - mainly because there's only a handful of them known to exist, and they really don't sell on the vintage market. Historically, it has significant value - mainly because of who designed it and the pioneering work he did.

If I had to ballpark it, and based solely on their value as microphones (and ignoring any possible value-added due to their history from the studio association and the possible "famous users" in their past), I'd put the value of that collection in the ~$50K range.

Archived