Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If it's doing well with Final Cut Pro X, it should also do well with Pro Tools. Video is certainly quite demanding! How fast does it render?

As long as I don't use Compressor and render straight from FCPX, the times are pretty quick. I was rendering 5 minute training videos (mv4 for distribution on our internal website at work) and the total time was 17 minutes per video. I was also watching Season 15 on South Park on Netflix at the same time.

Pro Tools should scream on it. I need to install PT on that computer. I've have been able to edit the audio pretty well in Garageband and then kick it back over to FCPX, but everyone I work with knows proper mic technique and is used to doing voiceover work. PT10 would come in handy when I eventually have to use an inexperienced person.

I have PT and FCPX on my iMac at home, and PT is nowhere near the resource hog that FCPX is, so you should be happy with the performance you get out of that machine. I'm still running the last version of LE, but I can't imagine PT10 being that much more of strain.

Comment

Why not use a PC mouse?

-Dan.

I do! Well, sorta - it's a universal mouse - it's supposed to work with both Macs and PCs. Like me.

I'm currently using a Logitech M315 with my white MacBook. It's got the center button / scroll wheel, along with both left and right buttons. The problem is, Pro Tools 9 running on OS 10.6.8 doesn't recognize that center button and assign it to cycling through the cursor tools. On PTHD 8.1 running on Win XP SP3, it does. For some reason, they don't assign the center mouse scroll button to that function in Pro Tools under OSX.

I can still cycle through the editing tools... I just have to use my left hand to do it via the ESC key. I'm just more comfortable doing it with my right hand as I mouse around; which leaves my left hand free to do other things.

It's not a gigantic deal - just a personal annoyance.

"Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."

- George Carlin

"It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."

- Sir George Martin, All You Need Is Ears

"The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."

- Bob Lefsetz, The Lefsetz Letter

Comment

Here - I grabbed a couple of screen shots of the Pro Tools Keyboard Shortcut guides for both Mac and PC to show you (and hopefully Avid, if they're lurking) what I'm referring to.

Mac:

PC:

Why are they different? I have no idea.

"Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."

- George Carlin

"It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."

"The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."

Comment

Apple's refurbished computers are usually a good deal.

i got my refurbished macbook pro over 3 years ago and it's been flawless

Comment

i got my refurbished macbook pro over 3 years ago and it's been flawless

That's reassuring!

Looks like it's here in CA, and will probably land on my doorstep sometime tomorrow... :arg:

- George Carlin

Comment

Refurbs are the way to go, particularly if you use PT. Avid always takes a while to qualify computers, and buying the latest/greatest Mac always seems to give PT users fits (at least based on what I have read at DUC).

I often wonder how many people are out there still rocking Digi001s and old G4 towers. That particular interface was sort of like the Tascam PortaStudio of digital audio.

Sorry to take the thread off topic Phil. I was in a sentimental mood.

Comment

No, that's okay - I remember the Digi 001 of course. Like probably tens and tens (if not hundreds) of thousands of others, I had one myself for a while. The converters were pretty bad, and I never used the mic preamps for anything other than scratch parts, but it was one of the first affordable, multichannel Pro Tools interfaces. 24 bits, 44.1 / 48kHz, and a 24 audio track limit with the bundled PTLE 5.

Can you believe it's been over twelve years since it was first released?

- George Carlin

Comment

New MacBook Pro day - 2.2GHz quad-core i7. Woot!

It's here - I'm copying all my data over to it off of my Time Machine drive.

- George Carlin

Comment

Very nice.

I just returned from a two hour drive to the nearest Apple store. I am considering a Mac Pro tower. Loaded (three 1TB hard drives, two 27" monitors, 32 gb of ram) it runs north of 6K. Thankfully, the company is paying for it and not me. I was recently charged with creating the musical motif for our "branding" after the higher ups were displeased with what the vendors created. The head honcho wanted something identifiable, just like HBO, Microsoft, and THX, yet totally different from all of those (I felt like I was living in a chapter from mixerman's diaries). He liked what I put together and told me to buy what I needed to continue moving us away from external vendors and marketing companies for internal media productions.

Given a semi-blank check, I couldn't bring myself to tell him I did the entire project in Garageband on a MB just like the one you have. I'm incredibly rough on my MB, and it has traveled across the country many times. On my experience, I'm convinced it is one of the better machines Apple has built.

Comment

This was probably the simplest system migration I've ever done. I've got to say, I am really impressed with how easy Apple makes it to go to a new machine.

I did a Time Machine backup to an external drive on my old MacBook the night before the new machine got here. When I fired up the new one, it asked I wanted to migrate from another Mac. I pointed it to the Time Machine backup on the external drive, and it went to work. About an hour later, I had everything from my old Mac installed on the new one.

The one exception to that was Pro Tools. However, there was a good reason for it. The version of PT9 I had installed on the Macbook had been running on Snow Leopard, and it needed an update to work with Lion. I went to the Avid site, downloaded the recommended update (9.0.6), installed 9.0 manually from the disks, then the update and hardware drivers, and it's working perfectly. Even most of my plugins and virtual instrument installations seem to be intact, although I imagine a few will need Lion related updates too...

All in all, this was soooo much easier than doing a OS9 or Win XP install, then installing your apps, etc. etc. I'm really impressed with just how well Apple's current Migration Assistant does. hil:

I went to Best Buy to get a fitted hard case (Speck) for it, but they were out of stock locally. I did get a Incase zippered neoprene sleeve for it. I still want the Speck too... and RAM. It's got 4GB, but as soon as I can get 16GB into it, I will. Again, the local Best Buy didn't have the 2x 8GB sticks of RAM in stock, so I'll have to get the cover / case and RAM online.

- George Carlin

Comment

I'm sure you probably already know but check out owc. I've had great experiences with them. Let us know what you think once you've player around with PT.
                        ∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆ Metric Halo 2882 Expanded +DSP, , HP Z600 (w/dual hexacore xeons at 2.66GHz, 12GB Ram, 480 GB SSD), OSX 10.10, Windows 10, Ubuntu Studio 14, Harrison Mixbus 3 , Pro Tools 12, and Reaper. Belmont Bigsby, Godin LGSP-90 (NAMM ed.), Godin LGX-SA into an 11 Rack controlled by a FCB1010 with an Eureka Prom. A bunch of other stuff lying around.

Did I mention that Harrison Mixbus 3 is out? If not check it out. It Is AWESOME!!!

Comment

So do all of the '11 mpb's technically handle up to 16GB? I remember seeing your post on the subject, Phil, but I don't remember which thread it was on. Do you have a judgement on where the extra RAM makes the biggest difference? I'm not one to use a ton of plugs, I will put compression and EQ on most tracks and run delay and reverb on busses. Most of my mixes so far have capped at around 30 tracks, assuming I'm doing a full band with overdubs. I've had my 2.5GHz quad i7 with 8GB of ram, but I haven't been able to get PT10 yet.
                          Capital letters were always the best way of dealing with things you didn't have a good answer to. - Douglas AdamsViolinist in a guitar worldIf you need some real live strings on your next song, send me a PM. Check out some of my demo clips here: SoundCloud

Comment

I checked with Crucial's site and used their system scanner to see if my particular machine could handle 16GB. They said it could, and I ordered a pair of 8GB SODIMMs.

Here's what I get when I run the scanner:

Memory Type: DDR3 PC3-10600, DDR3 (non-ECC)
                            Maximum Memory: 16GB
                            Currently Installed Memory: 16GB

You also get links to their recommended RAM and SSD offerings for your particular system. If it can handle 16GB, they'll tell you when you run the scanner. If not, you'll only see 8GB and smaller options on the results page.

- George Carlin

Comment

As far as the extra RAM, I have been running the Mac Activity Monitor app to keep tabs of how I'm doing with RAM use, and running things that would have killed my previous system's 4GB and sent it running to the hard drive to do a swap file are still well below the available RAM. I have not really pushed it with plugins yet, although I have done some that were pretty heavy and it hasn't blinked yet. Right now I have a 40+ track session in Pro Tools 9.0.6, and Firefox 14.0.1 (with about six separate windows and about 40-50 total tabs) open at the same time, and I've still got 10.28GB of RAM "free" according to Activity Monitor.

It's definitely faster when the system doesn't have to write things to the HDD. I am very tempted to get a SSD for the system drive... I imagine that would make the system "feel" even faster.

If you're running with 8GB, you're probably fine unless you're using a ton of virtual instruments or large sample libraries. I'm sure that 2.5GHz quad i7's a powerhouse! How do you like it?

- George Carlin

Comment

I will let you know as soon as I start running pt. I never thought a year ago that a $2k mac would be cheaper than the software and plugins loaded on it. It looks like my board will support 16GB as well, so I'll put that on my list for further down the line. Do you track directly to an external drive? I'm using a 7200 firewire 800 lacie for all tracking, but I'll have to try tracking to a thumbdrive one of these days, just for s&g.
                                Capital letters were always the best way of dealing with things you didn't have a good answer to. - Douglas AdamsViolinist in a guitar worldIf you need some real live strings on your next song, send me a PM. Check out some of my demo clips here: SoundCloud

Comment

Working...
                                X