Need help choosing a color to paint my small studio.

• Members

So, I have to choose a color soon.

30% of the room this nice thick wood slat wall stained walnut that i'm leaving as is and I want the paint to compliment that.

Here's a picture of it. You can also kinda see the color of the rug.

bass1.jpg

I know it isn't much to go on, but any ideas on what color I should paint the remaining sheet rock walls?

I really like antique colors. Was thinking antique turquoise or a surf green but it might be too happy.. even though i'm a pretty happy guy.

Also looking for ideas on what color to paint the trim/molding. Might go with a dark brown to go with that wall.

• Members

how about a cool rust color?

Not a bad idea for the trim, but i'd like more of a contrast to the stained slat wall.

Heres another shot to help you get more of an idea. the room is (almost) 14' x 7 1/2' with the wall inset in one side about 2 feet with a closet to the left of that.

So it's not a huge room.

100_8281.jpg

• Members

Yeah. While it's one of my least favorite condiments, mustard is an interesting hue.

If you can see in the last one, I actually painted the shelf above my pedalboard that holds the microkorg that nice yellow maize mustard color.

It's a warm color for sure. Might do well.

I was actually thinking of finding some kind of old wood paneling too.

I hear that it's "out of style" :idk:

• Members

Also, The ceilings are around 8' high. Theres a slight echo in the room. would be into some ideas on placement of:

WG-400673b9f2f924ffa68b8495fe1735af.jpg

I also have 2 larger, door sized pieces.

So, one for the door and another somewhere else.

But I already spray adhered it to another part of the room. Should have experimented, I guess.

Maybe some naphtha will get it off. Heat gun didn't work.

• Members

Good point. I do not want that.

The only blues I like are darker. Any light blue would make it look like a little boys room.

Probably go with a mustard or maybe a brighter olive green. I'll get some samples.

Thanks!

I was also gonna suggest blue. Large parts of my place, including my whole vocal booth is covered in dark-ish midnight blue, which seems to create a great vibe. Bands often comment that it's a very creative-feeling space. I spend lots of time in there and it seems to focus me but it's never made me feel depressed, if that's what's WRGKMC means by "the dingies". :) It is, however, contrasted by some reds and yellows (that I suppose you could call mustard-y) and I built everything to have as much natural light in there as possible.

Also, The ceilings are around 8' high. Theres a slight echo in the room. would be into some ideas on placement of:

WG-400673b9f2f924ffa68b8495fe1735af.jpg

I also have 2 larger, door sized pieces.

So, one for the door and another somewhere else.

But I already spray adhered it to another part of the room. Should have experimented, I guess.

Maybe some naphtha will get it off. Heat gun didn't work.

Putty knife, held flat against the wall (or as close as you can manage) and gently pry it off... if you used liquid nails or something like that, you may have some pretty serious remnants left on the wall... but if you used the Auralex adhesive or 3M adhesive spray, it should come off fairly easily.

As far as where to put the foam, I'd recommend the first reflection points - when you're seated at the mixing board, they're usually on the ceiling above and slightly in front of you, as well as on the side walls to either side (and again, slightly in front of you). You can try the mirror trick. Sit at the board and have an assistant hold a flat mirror against the wall at various locations around the front half of the room - whenever you can see one of the monitor speakers reflection in the mirror, that spot is a good candidate for some foam.

As far as the color of the room, you're not going to get much useful help from me - I'm not all that great as an interior decorator. :o I'd say maybe a white, off-white or tan shade. Matching the carpet AND the wood may be the tricky part.

• Members

I was also gonna suggest blue. Large parts of my place, including my whole vocal booth is covered in dark-ish midnight blue, which seems to create a great vibe. Bands often comment that it's a very creative-feeling space. I spend lots of time in there and it seems to focus me but it's never made me feel depressed, if that's what's WRGKMC means by "the dingies".
:)
It is, however, contrasted by some reds and yellows (that I suppose you could call mustard-y) and I built everything to have as much natural light in there as possible.

Yeah I painted my room that color ten yrs ago. Never again.

100_0866.jpg

My buddy also painted his studio midnight blue. And while it's a nicer shade than mine, it's still too dark.

I think I need something a bit less complex. I guess i'd like the right mix of dark and bright. hmm.. leaning away from olive greens and toward the mustard.

• Members

As far as where to put the foam, I'd recommend the first reflection points - when you're seated at the mixing board, they're usually on the ceiling above and slightly in front of you, as well as on the side walls to either side (and again, slightly in front of you). You can try the mirror trick. Sit at the board and have an assistant hold a flat mirror against the wall at various locations around the front half of the room - whenever you can see one of the monitor speakers reflection in the mirror, that spot is a good candidate for some foam.

Great trick!

Heres the thing. I do own a pair of BX5A's but I never completed the whole recording setup being there were just too many choices and variables presented.

I don't have much of a recording setup as of yet. Just trying to make it sound less lively, but not dead. It's not all that bad sounding in there though!

I'll be doing some more research on this as time passes. Thanks man!

• Members

Purple isn't bad, but i think i'm now leaning towards a pea or an asparagus green.

829F53.png

Been looking around at the "show me your studio" threads to get some ideas.

It's a nice idea to use 2 colors. One on the right and left walls and a contrasting one on the other 2.

I have 3 sides that i'll be painting.. Might paint that in-cove (where the lava lamps are) a separate color...

Probably buying the paint tonight at the depot.

• Members

Purple isn't bad, but i think i'm now leaning towards a pea or an asparagus green.

829F53.png

Been looking around at the "show me your studio" threads to get some ideas.

It's a nice idea to use 2 colors. One on the right and left walls and a contrasting one on the other 2.

I have 3 sides that i'll be painting.. Might paint that in-cove (where the lava lamps are) a separate color...

Probably buying the paint tonight at the depot.

go less OD green?

• 4 weeks later...

Archived