Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse

Announcement

Harmony Central has “soft launched” our new mobile experience this past week. While we have done extensive testing, we know that with a community as large as HC that there will be items that surface that will still need to be addressed. We are asking that you utilize the thread belowto report any challenges you may encounter. Here are the things we request you provide: A brief description of the issue, the device and operating system version you were using, the browser and version, screen resolution, and a screen shot of the display.
Thanks for your patience as we work towards the best experience we can provide to our community.

http://www.harmonycentral.com/forum/...ablet-feedback
See more
See less

So... what are you using for small diaphragm condensers?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PS Speaking of Irish Trad players, I'd love to go to Ireland sometime and record some.

They're great fun, and with the better groups/sessions, it can often be a case of just sitting them in the right places, putting 1 or 2 mics up and saying 'go!'. An hour later, you'll have yourself an album.

The biggest problem can often be to get the musicians comfortable in an environment that isn't a pub
    flip the phase

Comment

I've always considered myself pretty good at the "getting the musicians relaxed and comfortable" thing... although the people to ask about that would be the musicians I suppose.

"Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."

- George Carlin

"It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."

- Sir George Martin, All You Need Is Ears

"The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."

- Bob Lefsetz, The Lefsetz Letter

Comment

I've got a pair of M-Audio Pulsar II's I use for my home stuff. The church has a pair of NT5's we use as overheads. The drummer also has pair of SM81's that I sometimes borrow. However aside from overheads I don't use any of them much.

I will add I use the NT5's in a "recordman" style technique. Man do these things work well for that. We also have some CAD M179's we ordered for the toms. I haven't bothered to set them up yet. I get a really good "picture" with the NT5's overhead, a Heil PR48 on kick, and PR20ut on snare.
        ∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆ Metric Halo 2882 Expanded +DSP, Event 20/20 bas, Etymotic ER4-PT and HF3, MacBook Pro 15" (early 2011 w/2.2 ghz i7 quad, 8GB Ram, 480 GB SSD), Pro Tools 11, Harrison Mixbus, and Reaper. Godin Progression, Godin LGSP-90 (NAMM ed.), Godin LGX-SA into an 11 Rack controlled by a FCB1010 with an Eureka Prom. A bunch of other stuff lying around.

Comment

Pair of Audio-Technica AT3031's. I don't do a lot of micing of things these days, pretty much just occasional acoustic guitar. I've used them in the past as drum overheads, and single cymbal and drum sample recording. Never in a decent acoustic environment, but I haven't been displeased with them on anything.

I own a pair that I used for several seasons of Orchestral recordings. They worked really well!

I began using Heil PR30s for overheads,

Wow, I've been using the PR40 as a mono overhead, while recording band rehearsal. I'm pretty happy with the results.

I've been using the SM137 as a utility mic and been very pleased.

Speaking of 421s, I'm in love with it again!

Comment

I own a pair that I used for several seasons of Orchestral recordings. They worked really well!

Wow, I've been using the PR40 as a mono overhead, while recording band rehearsal. I'm pretty happy with the results.

I've had a few people tell me that they really like the Heil PR30 and PR40s as overheads. I really need to give a pair a try sometime.

I've been using the SM137 as a utility mic and been very pleased.

I'd also really like to try a pair of KSM141s or KSM137s - I've heard good reports about them too. What sorts of things do you like to use the 137 on? Any overall comments / impressions?

I recently finished doing a major mic roundup article for EM - it should be in the August issue if anyone wants to check it out. I was really blown away by the DPA 2011Cs that I reviewed as part of that. Really good stuff - 80% (or better) of the sound of the DPA 4011 for about half the price - $799 "street." I suspect that they're going to be a big seller for DPA.

"Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."

- George Carlin

"It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."

"The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."

Comment

I'd also really like to try a pair of KSM141s or KSM137s - I've heard good reports about them too. What sorts of things do you like to use the 137 on? Any overall comments / impressions?

I've used the SM137 on High-Hats, Overheads, Uke, and when traveling on Harmonica and Vox. I'm happy with all of the results, so far. You should really try one!

I recently finished doing a major mic roundup article for EM - it should be in the August issue if anyone wants to check it out. I was really blown away by the DPA 2011Cs that I reviewed as part of that. Really good stuff - 80% (or better) of the sound of the DPA 4011 for about half the price - $799 "street." I suspect that they're going to be a big seller for DPA.

I'm envious. I repped Earthworks and own a Periscope(Great Mic, but brutality honest), but have never had a chance to use a DPA. To me, those companies are so similar! I'll have to read the review!

Comment

My 'best' SDCs here are a pair of AT4049s which I try to use when appropriate. I purchased them for recording choirs and they work quite nicely in that role but I've also pointed them at instruments with success. Work well on a piano. Omni only; I've considered getting the cardioid or hyper capsules for them but reckon I don't really need them (or to spend that much money).

I actually get more use, though, from my pair of sE2s. They're the utility small condenser. There are some Cad GXL 1200s around here, too, just in case I need an extra for something. They are...adequate.

Recently, on something of a whim, I picked up a pair of Behringer C3s. A multi-pattern side-address small diaphragm condenser (though the adverts say they are LDCs). Surprising little mikes and very cheap. A bit noisy, to be sure. I've somewhat liked what I've heard from them in figure-8 mode on a guitar.

Comment

I actually get more use, though, from my pair of sE2s. They're the utility small condenser. There are some Cad GXL 1200s around here, too, just in case I need an extra for something. They are...adequate.

I use the SE3600 large diaphragm for my vocals at times, very pleased with results! I hear good things about the SD CADs, but haven't used them.

Off topic, Peanutroad it looks like we're neighbors. I'm in Panama City. Just a hop, skip and jump down 77.

Comment

I hear good things about the SD CADs, but haven't used them.

For all intents and purposes, the GXL1200 is the same microphone as the MXL 603. The only reason I have them is because CAD keeps sticking them in as freebies with their other mikes!

Comment

Pairs of Gefell M295, Gefell M296, Schoeps M221B and 3 Zigma CHI.

Comment

AKG 391B's, Michael Joly 603's and stock 603's

Comment

i do lots of chamber music and classical recordings, so SDCs are my bread and butter. i have owned pairs of schoeps CMC64s, DPA 4011s, 4006s, 4061s, 4090s, neumann km140s, km184s, AT4051s, 4041s, 4022 (omnis), akg c481s, 391s and 461s, royer r-121 ribbons, coles 4038s, rode nt5s, gefell m300s, and many others.

almost all those mics are quite useable, with the DPA 4011s being the most accurate and transparent. the schoeps are perhaps the warmest, and make an excellent main ORTF pair, though i found them a tad boomy in close situations in the studio. the AKG C480/ck61's are very very good, with a similar timbre to the DPA 4011. the AT4051s are perhaps the best mid-priced SDCs out there.

however, of all the mics i have onwed and used, i keep coming back to the neumanns, because i just seem to like the color they put on things. the km140 and km184 sound literally identical, and they both make outstanding main ORTF pairs for chamber work.
                          <div class="signaturecontainer">jnorman<br />
                          sunridge studios<br />
                          salem, oregon</div>

Comment

Some years back I bought two used AKG C460's on e-bay based on a number of comments from pros on the net.

They are the warmest mics I own.
                            With that they serve an important role in extending my mic palette

I dont end up using them often.

However, ive had them in X/Y stereo on congas/bongos and acoustic geetar. Nice.

Its an out of production mic I'm glad I snagged at the time.
                            I dont see em around much for sale anymore.

An intersting point/question on SDC's.
                            I understand that, since the diaphram is smaller it can travel further without mechanically distorting yielding better low end.
                            However, when I use these warm SDC's the sound seems warm but smaller not bigger.
                            Not sure I understand how those points relate.
                            <div class="signaturecontainer">Psst... Wanna check out some free tunes? <a href="http://www.broadjam.com/artists/home.php?artistID=3448" target="_blank"><br />
                            http://www.broadjam.com/artists/home.php?artistID=3448</a></div>

Comment

I've had good luck with my AT4041's.
                              <div class="signaturecontainer"><font size="1">All information subject to change without notice or rationale.</font></div>

Comment

Pairs of Gefell M295, Gefell M296, Schoeps M221B and 3 Zigma CHI.

Aah, a man of taste - and means.

- George Carlin

Comment

Working...
                                X