Am I Wasting My Time With This Recording Interface?

• Members

I have a Presonus Firepod and a PC with the latest Sonar Pro.

The setup in question is: I also have a Soundcraft Delta 200 mixing board with 16 faders. The Delta 200 is apparently the last analog board they made before going digital.

So I am wanting to use the Delta into the Presonus. I am going out of the Delta channel strip into the Firepod. I don't think I will want to record too many tracks at once. Maybe but for now just single or stereo tracks. I find the Delta very warm and rich sounding for vocals VS the Presonus on it's own. But I am a complete novice as far as recording goes. So am I wasting my time using the Delta or will it give me a better quality recording than the cheapy Presonus on it's own? Is there a way to get that rich warm quality sound through the use of the Sonar software eqing?

Comments and suggestions appreciated.

Firepod (FP10):

presonus_firepod_fp10.jpg

Delta Board:

a207919137324fb13bf716_m.jpg

Back Of Board (this is not mine)

soundcraft-delta-200-24-4-251869.jpg

Delta Separate Power Supply:

b516858064.jpg

• Members

Thanks for replying Phil. I didn't think you would reply for a day or two.

Is it going to be better than just the presonus and some software eq?

It is huge and seems to ad a slight hiss. But it does sound nicer straight through than just the presonus.

I don't personally see a huge advantage to using the Soundcraft, although if you wanted to do submixes or things of that nature, it would make sense to use it. Also, if you like the sound of the mic preamps, you can use those and send a line level signal out of each Soundcraft channel straight into line inputs on the Presonus. It really comes down to what you like the sound of best. I have a digital board (a Yamaha) that I sometimes use instead of, or in conjunction with my outboard preamps.

Archived