Caig Labs G5 ProGold Spray Cleaner

• Members

I was just informed that this was not the best thing to use for my Neutrik nys-spp-l patch panel. I have had several failures with this unit. It is easy to swap the individual patch points with less used points they are modular, just 2 screws and you can just pull them out. So the kind salesman at Redco Audio informed me that this product leaves a residue and that it may problematic. The coating is a magnet for dust and crud. he recommended Techspray Eco-Line Contact Cleaner.

• Members

I was on the Caig web site and it appears the Deoxit-d is the prefered stuff according to Caig: DeoxIT7 D-Series contact cleaner dissolves oxides and

suldes that form on metal surfaces. This restores the contact

• Members

Thanks,WRGKMC,

The funny thing is i thought i could take advantage of a smallish room and wired several runs of 4 channel cable so all channels go directly from microphone connector to a patch-bay. I put 15ft of individual nylon mesh protectorate on the mic side. I also had a veteran studio friend tell me not to go the "hard wire to the patch bay route" when i was building the setup. He said you will go crazy after several hours of tedious soldiering. The answer is "we will solder till we die"!!! integrity shmegrity

• Members

^^ I soldered for a living for a good 35 years on my day job as a tech.

Its not so bad if you have good jacks and plugs. its a nightmare when you have

cheezy low temp plastic crap that melts before the solder liquifies. Just heating those jacks up will

cause them to fail. You have to use hemostats as heat sincs so you dont melt the things internally and

many of the connections can be hard to get to. Once they are overheated and the internal connections

shift, the things are toast. no cleaner will fix them because dirty contacts are the problem.

If you have to use a patchbay with long runs, and your patch bay doesnt have XLR jacks, then switching your cables over to TRS jacks

is the way you should do it. You can get adaptors for about $4 or buy stereo jacks for about the same.

I go the easy route and just use the adaptors and be done with it. Unless your patchbay is a pro unit designed to be hard wired

you shouldnt be in there with a soldering iron.

Archived