S/PDIF Question

• Members

A friend gave me a Samson C-Valve preamp that I can run into my mbox 2 through S/PDIF. I know this is not top of the line gear but a 3rd simultaneous input is good (especially when the pre was free). The C-valve says the S/PDIF out says 48 kHz. Does the session need to be set at 48 the work with the Pre? If it does is there a way to change the session midway through from 44.1 to 48 in Protools LE 8?

If the Samson only outputs 48kHz via the S/PDIF jack, then yes, the Pro Tools session will need to be at 48kHz. Also, you'll need to set the word clock source for the Mbox to External so that it "locks" to the clock signals embedded in the S/PDIF data stream coming from the Samson. If you don't do this, you'll most likely get clicks and pops in your recordings.

As far as converting everything mid-session, that's a nightmare I'd rather not think about. However, if I absolutely HAD to do it, I'd create a copy of the session (including all audio data), then consolidate all my tracks on new playlists, then do SRC's on them individually in a 2 track editor (I use Sound Forge), then reconstruct the session. However, if you were recording that stuff coming from the Samson, it will probably need to be re-recorded due to the pops and clicks.

• Members

I will have to check the word clock settings. If i set it to external and do not have the Samson plugged in will that make a difference to houw the mbox works? I am new to the techinical computer side of recording. I have always been a record the insturment live no punch in and out kinda guy. I am starting to dive more into MIDI and the other aspects of technology.

• Members

I will have to check the word clock settings. If i set it to external and do not have the Samson plugged in will that make a difference to houw the mbox works? I am new to the techinical computer side of recording. I have always been a record the insturment live no punch in and out kinda guy. I am starting to dive more into MIDI and the other aspects of technology.

Yes it will affect it. Only set the Mbox to external with the Samson plugged in. If not you won't have a valid clock source. In fact the interface my default back to internal without the Samson connected. But it's always best to check and make sure.

Yes it will affect it. Only set the Mbox to external with the Samson plugged in. If not you won't have a valid clock source. In fact the interface my default back to internal without the Samson connected. But it's always best to check and make sure.

Perfect reply - thanks! :phil:

Archived