X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Check this out

What'd I Say. Ray Charles. Atlantic Records, 1959. Produced by Jerry Wexler, engineered by Tom Dowd, recorded at Atlantic's studio in New York on February 18, 1959 to eight track, with 3-4 takes, and no overdubs. Toss in a fantastic, killer opening riff, a tight, well-rehearsed band, a genius singer, a few carefully considered and expertly executed edits by Tom Dowd, and this is what you get:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPP8w0wMRgQ

For me, it really doesn't get any better than that. YMMV

"Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."

- George Carlin

"It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."

- Sir George Martin, All You Need Is Ears

"The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."

- Bob Lefsetz, The Lefsetz Letter

Was the original mixed in stereo this way, or was it originally mixed in mono?

-Dan.
    <div class="signaturecontainer"><i>Well, I've been to one world fair, a picnic, and a rodeo, and that's the stupidest thing I ever heard come over a set of earphones.</i></div>

Comment

Thanks for another inspiring video!

It sounds like the vocals are panned right, but the reverb is on both sides, or at least on the left side. Is this done with a reverb bus?

Comment

So cool...
        <div class="signaturecontainer">&quot;I'm a mur-diddly-urdler!&quot;<br />
        <a href="http://www.tbushrecording.com" target="_blank">www.tbushrecording.com</a></div>

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by IsildursBane
          View Post

Was the original mixed in stereo this way, or was it originally mixed in mono?

-Dan.

It was initially released as a single. The original 45 was mixed in mono.

However, Tom Dowd was an early adopter and proponent of stereo. With eight tracks, he could afford to be.

"Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."

- George Carlin

"It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."

"The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Thurston
            View Post

Thanks for another inspiring video!

It sounds like the vocals are panned right, but the reverb is on both sides, or at least on the left side. Is this done with a reverb bus?

I have no proof, but I suspect it was routed with an aux bus, and returned in mono, with the return center-panned.

- George Carlin

Comment

Working...
            X