Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse

Announcement

Harmony Central has “soft launched” our new mobile experience this past week. While we have done extensive testing, we know that with a community as large as HC that there will be items that surface that will still need to be addressed. We are asking that you utilize the thread belowto report any challenges you may encounter. Here are the things we request you provide: A brief description of the issue, the device and operating system version you were using, the browser and version, screen resolution, and a screen shot of the display.
Thanks for your patience as we work towards the best experience we can provide to our community.

http://www.harmonycentral.com/forum/...ablet-feedback
See more
See less

Let's talk about reverb plugins - what are your favorites?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Let's talk about reverb plugins - what are your favorites?

There are a ton of reverb plugins out there. Which ones do you like best? What plugins are you using, and what do you like to use them on? Do you have preferences for different types of reverb? For example, maybe you like to use TrueVerb for small room simulations, and TL Space for halls, or maybe you prefer some other combinations. Tell me about them please!

Oh, and if your favorites are specific to one system or require DSP of some sort, please mention what platform you're running it on.

"Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."

- George Carlin

"It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."

- Sir George Martin, All You Need Is Ears

"The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."

- Bob Lefsetz, The Lefsetz Letter

#1 Altiverb - for 'real' room simulations. But some of the Lexicon and EMT plate algorithms are very very good. Does not like a huge amount of sources thru one buss tho. And of course, the lack of tweakability can mean that I need to go for....

#2 Trueverb - Great decays. I actually turn off the predelays on this one sometimes when the source already has some room sound on there.

#3 RVerb - Does dark plates well, and has all the tweakability of Trueverb. I prefer the overall flavour of Trueverb, but this one does get used a lot.

4# DVerb - Sssshhhh! It's supposed to be garbage, right? Sometimes it's the only one that works in a mix without getting all masked to death. I usually stick some tape saturation right after.

All of these are RTAS on PTLE 7.4

Now, show me a reverb plugin that sounds even half as good as a rack unit, and I'll trade you my granny for it!
    flip the phase

Comment

#1 Altiverb - for 'real' room simulations. But some of the Lexicon and EMT plate algorithms are very very good. Does not like a huge amount of sources thru one buss tho. And of course, the lack of tweakability can mean that I need to go for....

#2 Trueverb - Great decays. I actually turn off the predelays on this one sometimes when the source already has some room sound on there.

#3 RVerb - Does dark plates well, and has all the tweakability of Trueverb. I prefer the overall flavour of Trueverb, but this one does get used a lot.

4# DVerb - Sssshhhh! It's supposed to be garbage, right? Sometimes it's the only one that works in a mix without getting all masked to death. I usually stick some tape saturation right after.

All of these are RTAS on PTLE 7.4

Now, show me a reverb plugin that sounds even half as good as a rack unit, and I'll trade you my granny for it!
      flip the phase

Comment

I mostly default to Logic's space designer, usually with a plate setting for vocals and some sort of room for drum sounds. It's got a lot of parameters to tweak so you can get a lot of sounds with it. I do sometimes use Wave's renaissance verb as well, not for any particular reason, just to be different sometimes. I also have a lexicon hardware reverb that I've been meaning to hook up, but it's a lot more work than plugins.

Comment

I mostly default to Logic's space designer, usually with a plate setting for vocals and some sort of room for drum sounds. It's got a lot of parameters to tweak so you can get a lot of sounds with it. I do sometimes use Wave's renaissance verb as well, not for any particular reason, just to be different sometimes. I also have a lexicon hardware reverb that I've been meaning to hook up, but it's a lot more work than plugins.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by gubu
            View Post

DVerb - Sssshhhh! It's supposed to be garbage, right? Sometimes it's the only one that works in a mix without getting all masked to death. I usually stick some tape saturation right after.

Shhh! ^^^ I love the Ambience setting still.

I tend to use a IR room, pick an IR library. That becomes my performance room. 1.5 or shorter. That ties the band together. That is the Waves IR reverb.

Then I'll get a plate, 2.5 or shorter. The plate might be from either Breverb, RVerb, or the Waves IR verb.

And that DVerb frequently gets used on lead vocal in Ambience. Just a little to spread it. The vocal is going to get a little all all of them but mostly the plate and the timed, fed back and filtered delay going back into the plate.

The snare can go into the room or the plate depending on the tune. Or a seperate Hall. That Hall wil be either the RVerb or the Waves IR. And once again, pick a library.
            Your god doesn't exist but my god does and he is all loving. If you disagree with me I'll kill you. - Prince Ea

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by gubu
              View Post

DVerb - Sssshhhh! It's supposed to be garbage, right? Sometimes it's the only one that works in a mix without getting all masked to death. I usually stick some tape saturation right after.

Shhh! ^^^ I love the Ambience setting still.

I tend to use a IR room, pick an IR library. That becomes my performance room. 1.5 or shorter. That ties the band together. That is the Waves IR reverb.

Then I'll get a plate, 2.5 or shorter. The plate might be from either Breverb, RVerb, or the Waves IR verb.

And that DVerb frequently gets used on lead vocal in Ambience. Just a little to spread it. The vocal is going to get a little all all of them but mostly the plate and the timed, fed back and filtered delay going back into the plate.

The snare can go into the room or the plate depending on the tune. Or a seperate Hall. That Hall wil be either the RVerb or the Waves IR. And once again, pick a library.
              Your god doesn't exist but my god does and he is all loving. If you disagree with me I'll kill you. - Prince Ea

Comment

Dverb for the ambiance and nonlinear sounds.

Revibe is good for plain vanilla reverb, nothing too remarkable but not offensive either

TL Space is great for chambers, springs, plates (I'm less impressed by the rooms and halls)

Softube TSAR is a just a great algorithmic reverb for both short and long reverbs. Great for the obvious, heavy reverb sounds in a way the rest aren't.

Using all in TDM except TSAR, which is RTAS only.

Comment

Dverb for the ambiance and nonlinear sounds.

Revibe is good for plain vanilla reverb, nothing too remarkable but not offensive either

TL Space is great for chambers, springs, plates (I'm less impressed by the rooms and halls)

Softube TSAR is a just a great algorithmic reverb for both short and long reverbs. Great for the obvious, heavy reverb sounds in a way the rest aren't.

Using all in TDM except TSAR, which is RTAS only.

Comment

I want a real stereo spring.

Comment

I want a real stereo spring.

Comment

I've used Altiverb for years (since version 2.0). It's consistently been an excellent convolution reverb, with an ever increasing impulse response library and reasonable solid improvements.

Aether and Lexicon are great algorithmic reverbs.

Comment

I've used Altiverb for years (since version 2.0). It's consistently been an excellent convolution reverb, with an ever increasing impulse response library and reasonable solid improvements.

Aether and Lexicon are great algorithmic reverbs.

Comment

I havent been using as much in the box reverbs as I used to

because I'm using stereo guitar preamp/effects units units to record more lately.

I do use some that came with Sonar like Perfect Space which is Impulse based

reverb. I have another Voxengo version too. I have buttloads of impulses loaded

and havent even tried yet so I've barely used many of them yet.

Sonar has another one thats just called Reverb FX. Its a good quick reverb for guitars.

Sonar also loads a Sonitus bundle and has another good reverb there. Its pretty easy

to manipulate graphically with a mouse.

I have dozens of others but I dont think any of them do what I want.

I did some recordings the other day from my Marshall amps speaker emulated line out

and used its spring reverb for some tracks. I wouldnt say its better than all plugins,

but theres no treaking involved. Simplicity is great and you can spend allot of time tweaking

parameters of a plugin and never find what you want.

Comment

I havent been using as much in the box reverbs as I used to

because I'm using stereo guitar preamp/effects units units to record more lately.

I do use some that came with Sonar like Perfect Space which is Impulse based

reverb. I have another Voxengo version too. I have buttloads of impulses loaded

and havent even tried yet so I've barely used many of them yet.

Sonar has another one thats just called Reverb FX. Its a good quick reverb for guitars.

Sonar also loads a Sonitus bundle and has another good reverb there. Its pretty easy

to manipulate graphically with a mouse.

I have dozens of others but I dont think any of them do what I want.

I did some recordings the other day from my Marshall amps speaker emulated line out

and used its spring reverb for some tracks. I wouldnt say its better than all plugins,

but theres no treaking involved. Simplicity is great and you can spend allot of time tweaking

parameters of a plugin and never find what you want.

Comment

Working...
                              X