Reamping thru a mic preamp

• Members

I've got the use of a GAP 73 for the next month or so and will be using it to track some vocals and DI guitars.

Just wondering if there might be any point in reamping all the tracks in a session while I'm at it? I know it would be time consuming, but maybe it's worth my while giving everything the GAP treatment to get that same character across all the tracks, and possibly get it sounding a little more like it was all tracked/mixed thru a decent desk?

idn_smilie.gif

I like to mix and match mic preamps, and as much as I like the Neve type sound, it isn't always right for everything... but as long as you keep your original tracks and do the processing as new tracks / playlists, there's no reason not to try it. My only advice other than the new tracks / playlist comment would be to use a targeted approach when it comes to which tracks you use when you mix. If you're looking for coloration, and like the processed sound, use it - just be aware that you might not decide to use it on everything.

• Members

Thanks Phil,

Yes, there's no way I'm going to dump the original tracks. And, you're right of course - it probably won't suit everything. I guess I'm looking for some glue, or something approaching the type of transparent coherence that you get so naturally when you mix down thru an analogue board.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Phil O'Keefe View Post
Might be time to consider a new computer mate - that eMac must be - what? Seven or eight years old? Don't they use the G4 CPU?
Yes they do use the G4 CPU - it's a seriously underpowered machine, but very stable within its limits.

Anyway, I'm bidding on a dual 1.8GHz G5 with 1.5G RAM and 2 x 1TB drives right now - high bid of $40 biggrin.gif

I think that the 1G of memory I installed in the eMac should swap into the G5 no problem. If it's not compatible, extra memory is not that expensive, and then I will be drunk with power!! icon_lol.gif

I'll let you know how it goes..

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

A little report:-

It worked great on synths, vocals, and a drum buss. It seems to smoothen out the mids a lot, and make the transients more intelligible, but softer.

Not so much on bass and electric guitar. I just didn't like it on those, but I may go back and take another look at EQ. It seems that hi-freq cuts are the order of the day when you apply this particular preamp to some sources. Which is the opposite to the little treble boosts that you sometimes need on certain sources with the stock MBox preamps.

So, ya, it was a good idea. And well worth doing again.

Things seemed to mix down easier, as I was doing less processing ITB, on the vocals and synths especially.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by gubu View Post
Yes they do use the G4 CPU - it's a seriously underpowered machine, but very stable within its limits.

Anyway, I'm bidding on a dual 1.8GHz G5 with 1.5G RAM and 2 x 1TB drives right now - high bid of $40 biggrin.gif

I think that the 1G of memory I installed in the eMac should swap into the G5 no problem. If it's not compatible, extra memory is not that expensive, and then I will be drunk with power!! icon_lol.gif

I'll let you know how it goes..
If you get a chance try and find a Mac mini. Especially if you can find a quad-core i7 model. It will be worlds ahead of the g5 your looking at. wink.gif

And from personal experience a dual-core 2.0 G5 powermac is roughly equal to any Core 2 Duo intel Mac. And any C2D Mac is still compatible with osx 10.8.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by CME View Post
If you get a chance try and find a Mac mini. Especially if you can find a quad-core i7 model. It will be worlds ahead of the g5 your looking at. wink.gif

And from personal experience a dual-core 2.0 G5 powermac is roughly equal to any Core 2 Duo intel Mac. And any C2D Mac is still compatible with osx 10.8.
I would get a Mac Mini, or even a more modern Mac Pro, but the fact is that I'm trying to get more horsepower on a very small budget, and can't afford the major software upgrade that I'd need to do if I bought a Mini or otherwise.

With g5 Powermac, it may even be possible to just install the system drive from my eMac and use that to boot up the new machine. Or at least just do a software transfer by firewire between the 2 machines.

With an Intel Mac, I'd be looking at $$$$ to upgrade/replace all of my software.

Archived