Roland Edirol UA-25 or Focusrite Scarlett 2i2

• Members

I'm new to home recording and have the opportunity to pick up an older (but mint) Roland Edirol UA-25 or brand new Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 recording interface.

Considerations of cost aside, which would folks recommend. Is one clearly better than the other? Pros and cons of each?

Thanks!
Michael

• Moderators

I'm not familiar with the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 one, but I've used the Edirol UA-25ex in the past (almost identical to the UA-25, but with built-in compressor), which has the advantage of MIDI ports. However a disadvantage for the Edirol would be the lack of full-duplex audio at 96khz (can record or playback at 96khz, but not at the same time), which is fine if you're only intending to record/playback at 44.1/48khz. Whereas the Focusrite can do full-duplex at 96khz. But in my opinion, it all boils down to whichever interface has the better mic preamps.

• Moderators

They say that the UA-25EX has improved mic preamps over the UA-25, which are similar to the ones in the UA-101 (the interface I'm currently using). So I'm not sure how good are the preamps in the UA-25. Sometimes sound quality is subjective. I also compared the specs for signal-to-noise ratio, and apparently the UA-25 should have a cleaner gain.

If it were up to me I would go with the UA-25, since it has MIDI ports (I record with keyboards a lot). It all comes down to preference and may also depend on what you're recording.

Archived