• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pro-Tools Plug-ins/External device suggestions/questions

I run Pro Tools LE 7 w/ the 002 rack, it
    www.soundcloud.com/lombardy-black
    http://lombardyblack.com/

It's just that demon life has got me in its sway

Good Deals with:aporcelainskyx2,Echoes22,OttoMatic,downer01x4 , chuckmoose,Feinberger,Dr.Picklebottom, jeremylp,kbledsoe,I Tell You What,Nateral,benagain, ck3 x2,stratballa,Primakurtzx2,aaronl,LoFiBrian,TomCra y, Jibbs, lfrz93, 9-Pin-Phoenix, RitalinCupcake, JonnyFranchi$e, it's_me_again, theManfromAlabam, tinypants and many, many more!

Quote Originally Posted by MickTaylorFan
    View Post

I run Pro Tools LE 7 w/ the 002 rack, it

Comment

Well, I suppose rather than purchasing several external units, I could get one at a higher price point. Comp/Limiter would be first on my list. Suggestions for something with a slightly higher price point?

Good Deals with:aporcelainskyx2,Echoes22,OttoMatic,downer01x4 , chuckmoose,Feinberger,Dr.Picklebottom, jeremylp,kbledsoe,I Tell You What,Nateral,benagain, ck3 x2,stratballa,Primakurtzx2,aaronl,LoFiBrian,TomCra y, Jibbs, lfrz93, 9-Pin-Phoenix, RitalinCupcake, JonnyFranchi$e, it's_me_again, theManfromAlabam, tinypants and many, many more!

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by MickTaylorFan
        View Post

Well, I suppose rather than purchasing several external units, I could get one at a higher price point. Comp/Limiter would be first on my list. Suggestions for something with a slightly higher price point?

Again, plugins will likely outperform lower priced outboard gear. In addition, plugins provide features that outboard gear does not have. I would suggest you fully experiment with the dozens and dozens of plugin compressors and limiters available for free trial from the various plugin makers. Borrow a few outboard units and insert them into your ProTools sessions. Compare.

A rather good outboard compressor/limiter is a used Drawmer DL241. There are many many more.

Comment

The FMR RNLA and RNC are both very nice sounding, but budget priced outboard compressors. You'd need an external mic preamp to use with either one though, since the Digi 002 doesn't have insert points for the four onboard mic preamps. The signal path would be mic -> ext preamp -> FMR -> line in on the Digi 002.

FMR also makes a nice two channel mic preamp called the RNMP. It typically streets for about $475 new. The RNLA and RNC each are in the ~$200 range, give or take.

"Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."

- George Carlin

"It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."

- Sir George Martin, All You Need Is Ears

"The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."

- Bob Lefsetz, The Lefsetz Letter

Comment

Thanks, Phil. I will check those out.

Comment

What is it you want to fix most in your recordings? That will help with what direction to go. Without knowing the answer I'll say a nice preamp might be what I'd look at next. I have a pair of Summit 2BA-221 pres that I love, and used with my 002 when I still had it. I kept the Summit pres and moved on to a new interface. I'll probably keep those pres for a long time. They just sound great and are very versatile. That said there are lots of other pres and options to look at.
              ∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆ Metric Halo 2882 Expanded +DSP, Event 20/20 bas, Etymotic ER4-PT and HF3, MacBook Pro 15" (early 2011 w/2.2 ghz i7 quad, 8GB Ram, 480 GB SSD), Pro Tools 11, Harrison Mixbus, and Reaper. Godin Progression, Godin LGSP-90 (NAMM ed.), Godin LGX-SA into an 11 Rack controlled by a FCB1010 with an Eureka Prom. A bunch of other stuff lying around.

Comment

Working...
              X