question about hooking up a hardware comp and eq to the mix buss

• Members

hi.. i'm sure there's a simple answer to this.. i hope so anyway

i recently bought a Midas Venice F24 firewire mixer... i'm loving being able to use my small amount of hardware comps on the inserts

the thing with the venice f series, is the master inserts don't go post firewire... so to get around this, i route everything to groups 1 and 2, and use the inserts there to be able to use a stereo compressor for the mix

anyway, all i've tried so far is my rnc, it's my only stereo comp... my next step is to really step up to some nice hardware (just bought a used La2a.. loving it for tracking) ... i'm looking at the A designs Nail compressor and the A designs hammer eq... i would like to use both of these on the mix buss.. (or in my case... groups 1 and 2)... comp first , then eq

so my question really is.... how do i hook up multiple stereo hardware units into 1 set (left and right) of inserts?

is there a simple way to do this eg via a patchbay etc, or do i need to look at a workaround?

would appreciate any advice

cheers

• Members

Simply daisychaining the units would work fine, and is pretty much the same as running plugins on your mains ITB.

So, you'd have the 'hot' jacks of the inserts plugged into the inputs of the comp (in the case you describe above, comp first, then EQ), the line outs of the comp feeding the inputs of the EQ unit, and the 'return' jacks of the inserts plugged into the outputs of the EQ unit.

No patchbay required!

• Members

gubu wrote:

Simply daisychaining the units would work fine, and is pretty much the same as running plugins on your mains ITB.

So, you'd have the 'hot' jacks of the inserts plugged into the inputs of the comp (in the case you describe above, comp first, then EQ), the line outs of the comp feeding the inputs of the EQ unit, and the 'return' jacks of the inserts plugged into the outputs of the EQ unit.

No patchbay required!

makes sense... thanks

i caved and bought a drawmer 1968 mkii for master bus compression... i like it a lot, and can always use it on the drum bus if i get the A Designs nail later

Archived