Winter NAMM is around the corner - heard any rumors?

Well, have you? smile.gif

I'm wondering if Avid will announce or release Pro Tools 11. On my personal wish list would also be a Thunderbolt interface / DSP product from them - I don't see any reason why the DSP has to be on a PCI-e card anymore - not with Thunderbolt's speed. And of course, UA is already doing it with their Apollo...

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Phil O'Keefe View Post

I'm wondering if Avid will announce or release Pro Tools 11. On my personal wish list would also be a Thunderbolt interface / DSP product from them - I don't see any reason why the DSP has to be on a PCI-e card anymore - not with Thunderbolt's speed. And of course, UA is already doing it with their Apollo...
It's been my understanding that Thunderbolt basically IS PCI-e - it just extends it outside the computer chassis. So there shouldn't be any real reason not to have the DSP on the actual interface.

That said, an Omni with HDX built in would probably still cost ten or twelve grand. smile.gif

• Members

It's been my understanding that Thunderbolt basically IS PCI-e - it just extends it outside the computer chassis. So there shouldn't be any real reason not to have the DSP on the actual interface.

That said, an Omni with HDX built in would probably still cost ten or twelve grand. smile.gif

• Members

I have heard that Julian Storer (Jules) is working on software to be revealed at the show. He is the creator of J.U.C.E. and the daw Tracktion. Speculation is he has regained control over Tracktion and will be announcing a new version. He (Jules) has chimed in over at the KVR Tracktion forum asking questions and asking users of Tracktion to be patient. Mackie took over Tracktion and the support from Mackie have been lacking (no updates). Over at KVR the Tracktion forum use to be called Mackie Tracktion, know its just called Tracktion. Keeping my fingers crossed.

• Members

I have heard that Julian Storer (Jules) is working on software to be revealed at the show. He is the creator of J.U.C.E. and the daw Tracktion. Speculation is he has regained control over Tracktion and will be announcing a new version. He (Jules) has chimed in over at the KVR Tracktion forum asking questions and asking users of Tracktion to be patient. Mackie took over Tracktion and the support from Mackie have been lacking (no updates). Over at KVR the Tracktion forum use to be called Mackie Tracktion, know its just called Tracktion. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Quote Originally Posted by MrJoshua View Post

That's my understanding too - Thunderbolt is certainly speedy! But you're probably in the ballpark on the prices - I'm not sure it would be a cost savings thing, except for maybe the host computer - you could use an iMac or MacBook instead of a Mac Pro - and that would be big news. For myself, being able to take a HDX setup with me when I travel would be fantastic.

I was looking at the HDX stuff last night, and it's my understanding that a core HDX setup with one card is roughly like a HD|5 Accel setup in terms of DSP horsepower, so I imagine most of the people who are moving up from a HD|2 or HD|3 wouldn't need a two card HDX setup - at least not at first.

Quote Originally Posted by MrJoshua View Post

That's my understanding too - Thunderbolt is certainly speedy! But you're probably in the ballpark on the prices - I'm not sure it would be a cost savings thing, except for maybe the host computer - you could use an iMac or MacBook instead of a Mac Pro - and that would be big news. For myself, being able to take a HDX setup with me when I travel would be fantastic.

I was looking at the HDX stuff last night, and it's my understanding that a core HDX setup with one card is roughly like a HD|5 Accel setup in terms of DSP horsepower, so I imagine most of the people who are moving up from a HD|2 or HD|3 wouldn't need a two card HDX setup - at least not at first.

• Members

I believe one HDx card is suppose to be rought equal to an HD3-5. However I think some plug makers are still struggling to get their plugs running efficiently. So it just depends on what plugs you're using. No doubt it will get better in time.

That said, there is news coming from Waves about HDx and their plans for it. Who knows what, but it will be interesting to see what they say. It appears, at least on the DUC, as a lot of people are holding off upgrading until they know for sure what Waves plans are. And I believe all they've stated so far is they will eventually do AAX native, but don't have plans for DSP yet. So guessing they'll at least anounce their road map.

• Members

I believe one HDx card is suppose to be rought equal to an HD3-5. However I think some plug makers are still struggling to get their plugs running efficiently. So it just depends on what plugs you're using. No doubt it will get better in time.

That said, there is news coming from Waves about HDx and their plans for it. Who knows what, but it will be interesting to see what they say. It appears, at least on the DUC, as a lot of people are holding off upgrading until they know for sure what Waves plans are. And I believe all they've stated so far is they will eventually do AAX native, but don't have plans for DSP yet. So guessing they'll at least anounce their road map.

Archived