Pro Tools/Mixer question

• Members

I have the 002 Rack and I use a Yamaha MG 12/4 to gain 4 extra XLR inputs. It does what I need it to do but, I'm just curious to know if there is more I can use the mixer for(more inputs, faders control, ect.). I feel I'm not using it to it's full potential.

Also, any recommendations on a low cost mic pre as a replacement for the Yamaha?

Thanks

• Members

Lot's of pre choices out there. And low cost is relative. I had a Grace 101 and liked it, but didn't love it. The RNP is well regarded, and I now have a pair of Summit 2BA-221 pres that I love. What's your budget, intended use, and how many channels do you need?

• Members

If the inserts can function as direct outputs, you could use the mixer for four extra mic pres when connected to the line inputs of the 002R. Other potential uses:

Submix multiple live inputs down to stereo or mono when tracking.
Set up no latency monitoring in case the low latency monitoring mode isn't doing it for you.
Set up an alternate headphone mix.
Use it to control the levels of your monitors.

Not very exciting. I had a compact mixer that I used for all of these functions with my PT system. It's gone now, all replaced with other equipment.

You could definitely use it to sub-mix up to six microphones and record them to a stereo pair of tracks. The mic preamps have insert jacks, and so you can probably do the "1/4" TS plug inserted to the first click" trick to tap into those as direct outputs, thus allowing you to use the first four preamps with your 002's line inputs, thus giving you 8 mic preamps total, including the four on the 002. You could use Aux 2 as an effect send, and then route the stereo output from the hardware effects unit back into a pair of line inputs on the 002. That would allow you to record the processing to a separate pair of tracks. Zooey's other suggestions were also quite good - you can use it as a low latency monitoring tool, or as a control room monitor controller too.

• Members

For mixing:-

If you've got any outboard processors/fx, you could submix 4 stereo stems (or 8 mono tracks) in PT, and route those thru the 8 outputs on the 002 to the mixer, taking advantage of the 4 channel inserts, as well as the mixer EQs, AUX s/r etc.
Then, just route the main outs from the mixer back into a pair of line inputs on the 002, and mixdown to a stereo track in PT.

It puts the audio thru the converters 2x, but you don't have to send everything to the mixer either. Aux returns within PT, along with any other PT track can all be routed to a single stereo track within PT, along with the 2 track mix from the mixer. So it's the best of both worlds, in a way.

It's someting I'd definitely have to try..

Archived