Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• saturn1
    started a topic Mixing - Too much bass for the car

Mixing - Too much bass for the car

My big frustration is this - I will get a mix in my 'studio' that sounds okay, take it to the home stereo and, while not as 'bright' as a comparison commercial mix, the levels are good, the volume and frequency balance is okay and I can hear all the parts.  Take it to the car, any car, and it fills up with mud.  The bass becomes predominate, and the lower frequencies of the bass at that.  I can't seem to take enough out to clean up the car sound and still retain a reasonable amount of bass on the other systems.  I have high pass filtering at 80Hz at least on all the other tracks besides the kick drum, even higher on cymbals, hand percussion and vocals.  Any hints at what I can focus on would be appreciated.

• CME
    replied
    And just to reiterate, don't overlook treating your room. Sounds to me like you got some modal problems. They can both boost and cut frequencies. And it's really hard to get an accurate super low-end (80hz and lower) in a small room. So you've probably got a dip down there and can't tell it in the room or most speakers. As they don't go that low very well. But a lot of car speakers these days do and it's showing up there and wreaking havoc. At least that's my guess.

But to the point of sending a ME a track early on is brilliant. I'll def have to use that sometime. Thanks.

Leave a comment:

• saturn1
    replied

Thank you Terry and Phil.  This is very helpful.  I have been poking around the Har-Bal site (appreciate the link) and it looks like it may be the better choice for my next software aquisition.  Their approach certainly makes sense to me.  I also get the point about having someone else do the mastering.  That is my plan.  I am at this point trying to get the mixes to the point that they are ready (read-'good enough') to make professional mastering worth the investment.  I mean, I know it is possible to polish a piece of dirt but is having a polished piece of dirt a viable objective?  I do have an acquaintance, actually he's the son of my business partner, who apprenticed as an ME at MasterDisk and now works out of Engine Room Audio in Manhatten.  He's building a pretty impressive resume, plus he's a good guy.  It may make sense to send him a track or two to do and use the results as you suggest.

Leave a comment:

• gdoubleyou
    replied

Probably the room you mix in, do you have any room treatment?

You can't make good decisions if you can't hear problems.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X