Gibson buys TEAC

• 1 month later...

I am not privvy to all the details of the deal, but my understanding is that Gibson purchased a controlling interest in Teac - a bit over 50% if I recall correctly... but it's not 100%. I seriously doubt they purchased it with the intention of making TEAC go away. In fact, I suspect it was part of Gibson's plan to broaden their reach into music and audio product areas beyond just guitars.

• Members

Gibson bought my old Opcode music software program from the 90's, Vision. What I remember most about it was that it didn't have much in the way of plug-ins and it had an off set for time to compensate for your computer speed. But back then, that was how people like me got started with DAW. The program subsequently disappeared and nothing tangible seemed to have come out of that deal. Maybe it was a backroom manuever to pave the way for another program like Pro Tools. At the time I moved on to Cakewalk Home Studio and then eventually Pro Tools like most everyone else. The advantage of Gibson buying Teac would be in the assets or maybe a backend deal that's part of another deal. Probably patents or licensing, but I'm not an expert, just my casual speculation. All I know is I have lots of old Teac casettes in boxes that I may or may not get around to archiving someday. My Vision software is in a box somewhere in the garage. I'm working with new tools and new ideas. The past is all but forgotten unless I need to make room for more storage. In the meantime, puppet masters use shell companies like Gibson to play their corporate chess games. It doesn't concern me, I'm glad to be using today's technology, no matter which way it comes about. It forces people to stay current and creates a churn to keep things fresh. Someday we'll have a museum to rival the Guggenheim that will display old music technology, computer hardware and software. We can visit and feel nostalgic for the endless time we spent on 4 track cassette decks, drum machines, learning how to configure midi and getting digital audio to work for the first time on a Mac Quadra.

Archived