Why vinyl is not going to save the music industry...

I just read an interesting article about vinyl, and I thought I'd share it... it's a really good read, and I think it's right on the money in terms of the significance in the increased numbers for vinyl sales. I'd love to hear what you guys think. :)

http://www.trustmeimascientist.com/2013/08/08/why-vinyl-is-not-going-to-save-the-music-industry/?goback=.gde_105184_member_276271229#!

• Members

It's a really niche thing that the White Stripes and a few other bands tried to bring back, but digital is just too big to stop now. And I think the CD will be gone in at max 10 years too. It's a lot easier to have it downloaded to your laptop then getting in the car and driving to FYE.

One of the coolest music documentaries I've everseen is a movie called Sound City which is partly about the effect that digital tools like CDs and Pro Tools had on the analog recording and music industries. There's a segment from an interview with Neil Young where he says there's "a mistake" in the algorithms that take audio data and store it digitally. It could've been old crotchity rock star talk and all he meant was that digital doesn't sound as good as analog, but on the other hand his understanding of that process could be better then mine, I don't know.

I have a weird feeling that at some point, in the race for higher bit rates and resolutions, someone is going to come up with a way to have digital equal analog in terms of fidelity. I don't think it'll be reaching a new resolution level or anything, it'll be someone out of left field. But that seems to me to be the next logical step.

Archived