Pro Tools v. Logic

• Members

I've been using Garageband for a year now with a line 6 UX2 interface and looking for better software to step my sound quality up. I know protools seems to be the music standard however I know a few people using cubase and cakewalk.

Which platform would you recommend for a newb to recording?

Should I change the interface too?

Ease of use and great quality?

• Members

GB is a simplified version of Logic, everything you've learned can be applied in Logic.

Logic can open your GB projects, with all instuments and Apple Loops intact.

LPX eases the transition from GB, by first presenting a GB look and feel, as you get more comfortable you can turn on the advanced tools for the tradiitional Logic interface.

PT|HD  is the standard in commercial studios, don't confuse it with the native versions in cost and functionality.

Eric Von Kimble wrote:

I've been using Garageband for a year now with a line 6 UX2 interface and looking for better software to step my sound quality up. I know protools seems to be the music standard however I know a few people using cubase and cakewalk.

Which platform would you recommend for a newb to recording?

Should I change the interface too?

Ease of use and great quality?

A seasoned and savvy musician / engineer can do good work on any of the modern DAW programs, including Cubase, Sonar, Reaper, Logic, Pro Tools, Digital Performer, etc.

Which platform? It depends on the circumstances. If you need compatability with the widest range of other studios and musicians, I'd suggest Pro Tools. If you have a friend or musical partner who is using one program or another that you will be working closely with, then consider using the same program they are.

I'd also generally recommend sticking with the same type of computer system you're comfortable with and already using. So if you're using a PC for everyday computing, or a Mac, stick with that for your musical needs too. Ideally it's best if you can dedicate a computer to just DAW and music related tasks, but some folks get away with doing it on the same computer they use for everything else.

Pretty much all of the DAW programs have good instructional support from their makers, as well as third party providers, but Pro Tools is probably the best supported in that respect. I also find it very easy to use - the paradigm and layout of the program makes a lot of sense to me. I was a longtime Logic user, and switched to Pro Tools as my main DAW after Apple purchased Emagic (Logic's original developer). Logic is great if you're already using GarageBand, and there are a lot of good reasons to stick with that, as has already been pointed out. It's probably also the most powerful app in terms of MIDI sequencing capabilities, although I don't think it records / edits / mixes audio with as much ease and power as Pro Tools. Again, it kind of depends on what you're using computer-wise, and what sorts of musical tasks you're planning on doing the majority of the time.

As far as your interface, I would stick with what you have for the time being unless there's a compelling need to upgrade it for some reason. If you only need a couple of inputs at once, it should serve your needs as you're learning how to record just fine. If you want to record a drum kit with more than two mics, then you might want to consider a new interface - otherwise, just stick with that to learn on. Right now, it's not the limiting factor - you are! No offense intended by that, but you really are - at least until you learn the ropes a bit. :)

• Members

My only caution with Logic would be around concerns with Apple's stewardship of it as a product.

I love/hate Apple and have used a Mac platform for music for decades.  But they are clearly moving toward consumer products over professional and it's not clear how that will play out.  Final Cut Pro was pulled into the Apple family and video professionals are very concerned with recent releases that are more consumer oriented.  The price of Logic has fallen drastically, which is good cost wise, but portends a move toward unsupported, consumer based useage.

All this having been said, Logic is one of several DAWs fully capable of producing amazing recordings.  

Just don't look at your decision as a two horse race.

Archived