Room Correction systems (JBL, IK, KRK, etc.)

So I was having a conversation regarding control room acoustics over on (of all places) the Poli Forum with redEL24, gubu, Red Ant and a few other people, and the subject of room correction systems came up. I have never really tried any of them, and was wondering if any of you have... amd if you have, what your impressions and opinions are.

I'm talking about things like the JBL MSC1 (something similar is built into some of their nearfields, such as the 4326p's that Red Ant uses), the IK Multimedia ARC 2, and the KRK Ergo. If any of you are using any of these, or something similar, I'd love to hear what you think - good and bad. :)

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

I have the JBL MSC-1. And while it took a bit to get it set-up it does seem to help. I have a semi-treated bedroom mixing room. And it helped smooth out some of the low end humps/holes. I was having trouble with some sub-100 content being overwhelming. So since it has sub output and would help set up it's levels and what not I added a cerwin vega sub I had setting around also. However the MSC 1 took care of some humps/holes and really made the sub unnecessary. I do check mixes with the sub still, just to make sure, but haven't really had any issues since adding the MSC-1. Can't think of any problems it added. Other than some flaky switches I'm tempted to replace.

I read Craig Anderton's Pro Review of the JBL MSC1 the other night, and it sounds like you're not the only one who had difficulties getting it set up. That makes me a bit wary actually... but from what I read, Craig seems to think the results are more than worth the effort. Frankly, I've always been a bit skeptical about this kind of thing - I'm a big believer in the importance of the room, and in proper treatment - but when people I respect (such as yourself, Anton, and Craig) are extolling the virtues of something, there's usually something there to back it up and I should probably consider having a look at it. :)

• Members

I guess I did word some of that poorly. I didn't have any troubles setting it up. Before I bought the msc-1 I was having trouble hearing the sub 100 hz content in my room and my 20/20's should have adequate low end for the music I do (rock type stuff).

So I bought the MSC-1 to try and combat that. It also has the ability to dial in a sub to match your mains. I had a cerwin vega sub that wasn't being used. So I took the time to hook it up and calibrate it with the rest of my system just to make sure I could have plenty of low end.

However the MSC-1 did such a good job of fixing my mains that the sub is pretty much unnecessary. I still turn it on every now and then to make sure I'm now missing something super low. But so far so good. No more issues with the low end translating.

The quality of the switches is my only issue. They're simple push button switches that don't always make the best contact. But I've already looked at it and it would be easy enough to replace them with better toggle switches. Just haven't taken the time.

• Members

And I'll add. I wouldn't do this in lieu of treating a room. I have some, but not as much as I'd like, and will add more later. But this is like the icing on the cake. It would probably make a difference in most room a. As there is almost always some sort of compromise acoustically, but I guess somewhere along the way there will be a point of diminishing returns. Anyways if you do get something I'd def be interested in your thoughts.

Archived