Is it curtains for speaker cones?

• Members

How does it sound?

I remember reading something about it, probably in the manual that came with the bike. Packing stuff in the tour pak obviously has an effect but I can't honestly say that I know the difference, most of the time my wife is sitting on the back but even when she isn't most of what I get is from the fairing speakers and the wind. We do always have a stick of mp3's playing and I will say that Harley's Boom! Audio system is pretty kick ass for a motorcycle!

• Members

I (faintly) remember these small limpet drivers designed to be bolted or otherwise coupled to ceilings or walls. I seem to think they were close to hemispherical in form and maybe around 4" across. Obviously, they were not intended as hi fi. I really can't remember all the details, I'm afraid.

• Members

Interesting stuff. It has been happening by accident for many years. Some cars just sounded better than others... ideally those which the interior was resonating cleaning and not buzzing like some kind of giant insect. Those giant insects with curb feelers came a bit after my time.

When I was a teen my cars were optimized for drag racing. I had a Mustang Mach I that I put some Jensen 6x9 triaxials in. I was already playing piano and guitar then, but I didn't know much about treating a room, much less a car. I just fell bassakwards into getting those into some kind off sweet spot and you could hear the car and sound system cooperating.

I had two street racing buddies with the same model Mustangs and also with the same Jensen speakers because those were a thing then. They installed theirs different ways in different places and nothing sounded right.

So yeah, if my 17-year-old kid self could accidentally get it right I could certainly see it being a science that uses various parts of a car's interior to even replace the cones altogether. Especially knowing what I know now about all things audio that I didn't know then of course.

• Members

To take the OP literally? Curtains would not be stiff enough to make speaker cones. ☺

I also remember those bolt-on drivers. I had a friend who attached one to the middle of a 3/4" plywood sheet. And then, there also were those 'butt-thumper' things they used to sell for drummer thrones.

Archived