Clarksdale Mississippi - Rock and Blues Museum for sale

• Members

I recently spent a couple of nights in Clarksdale Mississippi. They promote themselves as the birthplace of the blues. My favorite museum there, the Rock and Blues Museum, has quite a collection of memorabilia. Talking to the lady who was working there I was told the owner lives in Memphis and wants to sell the whole collection. She told me the asking price, which includes the building housing the museum, is $499,000. The collection is quite impressive.

I hope someone with deep pockets and a deep interest in this period in American musical history buys and continues to exhibit it.

https://thefreshtoast.com/culture/for-sale-a-treasure-trove-of-music-memorabilia/

• Members
You don't suppose Gibson owns it???

This seems to be one of the ventures Gibson did not get into. Reportedly a Dutch attorney spent years amassing the collection. He's getting older and wants to sell.

• Members

This seems to be one of the ventures Gibson did not get into. Reportedly a Dutch attorney spent years amassing the collection. He's getting older and wants to sell.

I did go ahead and read the article but I just couldn't help but make the remark as the whole thing just seems so coincidental or ironic or something along those lines.

• Members

That's really odd... I just played at the Juke Joint Blues Fest there a few weeks ago, and the big news around town was that this place just got a 0.5 Mil grant from someplace... The dude must be looking to cash out in a big way. Seems a little sketchy.

• Members

That's really odd... I just played at the Juke Joint Blues Fest there a few weeks ago, and the big news around town was that this place just got a 0.5 Mil grant from someplace... The dude must be looking to cash out in a big way. Seems a little sketchy.

I just did a google on "half million dollar grant to Clarksdale MS" and got something about a $50 million grant for a sports complex along with a 120 room motel. The date is March 20th 2018, so it corresponds with you having just played there. The date of my posting about the sale of the museum is January 13, 2017.

https://mississippitoday.org/2018/03...llion-project/

I just hope someone buys the whole collection and displays it someplace. The thought has occurred to me that the thing a museum like this needs is wi-fi for visitors. Visitors could look up specific recordings (on YouTube) they see in display cases and listen on their phones with Bluetooth headphones. This would greatly enhance the experience.

Archived