Share a Pic of Your Creative Crib

• Members

Here's a recent photo from February... From left to right... MiniMoog over a Prophet 6. Mackie 1402 VLZ mixer with Lacie hard drives behind it... Apple iMac 27". Apollo Twin interface. Mackie Control Universal, a Mojave MA200 is barely visible but its hovering over the MCU. The synth on the right is a Juno 106. Those are Equator D5s monitors in the background. The blanket is handmade by my mom... a gift for my 18th birthday.

ab6f590ce6955286578d62243db7d303.thumb.jpg.08a51651bb3e7a55de69977ad4d08326.jpg

• Members

I do have a nice space where I'll be able to do some actual recording downstairs and I'll take a couple pictures but I haven't done anything creative in quite a while and it really sucks! Having moved a couple times in the last three years it's been difficult to get my {censored} together and I have a ridiculous amount of other crap still on my plate. In one room most of my guitars are sitting in their cases while the gear (keyboards/guitar/etc.) I use for gigs is currently packed in cases upstairs. More of my stuff is over at the house where the band rehearses and here at home the wife and I have some gear setup for practicing by the Steinway in the front room.

• Members

Here is my little work area. We moved here just about 18 months ago, so I can empathize with you on getting stuff set up in a new house.

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","data-tempid":"temp_135181_1524075572276_483"}[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-linktype":"2","data-size":"full","title":"DSC_0020s.jpg","data-attachmentid":32206583}[/ATTACH]

• Members
Here's a recent photo from February... From left to right... MiniMoog over a Prophet 6. Mackie 1402 VLZ mixer with Lacie hard drives behind it... Apple iMac 27". Apollo Twin interface. Mackie Control Universal' date=' a Mojave MA200 is barely visible but its hovering over the MCU. The synth on the right is a Juno 106. Those are Equator D5s monitors in the background. The blanket is handmade by my mom... a gift for my 18th birthday. [/quote']

I had a Juno 106 for several years...How many times have you had yours in the shop? Mine kept dropping voices...Had it repaired three times before I decided..."Hey...I'm really a guitar guy and this is getting expensive".

Cool space though E!!

• Members

I had a Juno 106 for several years...How many times have you had yours in the shop? Mine kept dropping voices...Had it repaired three times before I decided..."Hey...I'm really a guitar guy and this is getting expensive".

Cool space though E!!

Thanks Alamo,

I completely understand where you're coming from. I purchased the 106 last November for $600. I had my tech replace all 6 voice chips, the 3 filter chips, and the buttons at a total of $650... $1250 total after all was said and done. It looks and sounds brand new. I`m a keyboard/synth guy so for me, owning a classic is surely a luxury and worth the price of admission.

E

• Members
My old school project studio. The adats have been pulled and the HD24XR now sits where they were. All together it would have been 48 tracks' date=' but it just wasn't necessary and the adats were just too much trouble! [/quote']

Man oh man.. I purchased the ADAT XT Silver faced in 1996... it was a magical moment. Then a friend lent me his original ADAT and I had 16 tracks to record my band! I eventually purchased another ADAT XT and gave my friend back his...

Incredible... but yes, I remember having to clean those things and then taking them to repair shops... what a mess. 4 years later I sold both units for $250 a piece... once hard recording became affordable, all those machines died like dinosaurs.

• Members
Here's a recent picture of the studio setup when recording "Simplicity." The left side is controller-land - APC40 for Live, Maschine, Linnstrument, and you can also see a tiny corner of the Roli Seaboard. Toward the right you can see the Axiom 49 (about to be replaced by an NI controller), the wonderful Line 6 Helix, and a Korg M3 which is my main hardware synth. Behind me are the mics on stands, as far away as possible from the computer.

Noice!

Craig,

are they Gibson les Paul 8 reference monitors ?

what is the story with the wooden? guitar shaped thingies on the wall?

• Members

I used to have ADAT problems, but they disappeared when I put them on an uninterruptible power supply. I think the Chinese power supplies were underrated and ran too close to the edge.

My Adat problems disappeared shortly after the HD24XR arrived. smiley-wink Before that I had everything hooked up to an APC upc and still had Adat troubles though. Maybe it was some bad tapes that infiltrated the ranks but I was always getting that interpolation thingy or some other error message and having to have them serviced or open them up myself to clean them. I had a used Meridian for a short time and wound up sending it back.

Nowadays everything is plugged into a Furman AR1215 line voltage regulator.

• Members

Man oh man.. I purchased the ADAT XT Silver faced in 1996... it was a magical moment. Then a friend lent me his original ADAT and I had 16 tracks to record my band! I eventually purchased another ADAT XT and gave my friend back his...

Incredible... but yes, I remember having to clean those things and then taking them to repair shops... what a mess. 4 years later I sold both units for $250 a piece... once hard recording became affordable, all those machines died like dinosaurs.

Yup. I did manage to put some music together with them that couldn't have affordably happened any other way from home. I'm one of those never sell it guys though and I still have my 2 XT20's and XT, just in case. I still have my HR16 and Roland GP8 which I still use too, purchased new back in '88. The Fostex 4 trk that got it all started came apart at the seams though. :lol:

• Members

Y I'm one of those never sell it guys though and I still have my 2 XT20's and XT, just in case. I still have my HR16 and Roland GP8 which I still use too, purchased new back in '88. The Fostex 4 trk that got it all started came apart at the seams though. :lol:

With you..

on NEVER selling any gear..not only have I kept every piece gear, (guitar in my Avatar is my first electric from 1963) I keep the boxes and manuals too.

( I did give some stuff away to my daughter, nieces and nephews.)

As far as your Fostex (I still have my 8 track Fostex from 2002 with CD burner) I'm sure Beck who posts here could bring it back to life for you.👍

• Members

This Grasshopper just got two (gratis) tidbits of useful info from the ^Master^

1. NOT to use 8 inch Monitors in a small designated music room, (mine is 8x11 ft.

2. That foam acoustic treatment can be utile and indeed be pleasing to the eye.

Thanks Craig.👏

I just ordered (Friday) a set of the Gibson LP 4" reference monitors..My decision was almost solely made by the price factor..I'm so glad I got them..because from what you say the 8s sound like they would be definite overkill.

Along with the monitors, ( replacing some Beringhers) I finally bought myself a proper Bass guitar to supplement 2 'meh' ones.

I got an Arctic White MIA Fender Jazz bass...

Monitors/Bass were an early Father's Day/ Birthday gift.

Waiting on the UPS man.😍

• Members

Thanks again Craig..if you didn't tell me that, I would have kept them, but not have used them..besides not selling anything, I rarely send anything back either 😐

Actually, I find the look esthetically pleasing, they have a vintage appeal to me....I ordered the cherry burst,

• Members

With you..

on NEVER selling any gear..not only have I kept every piece gear, (guitar in my Avatar is my first electric from 1963) I keep the boxes and manuals too.

( I did give some stuff away to my daughter, nieces and nephews.)

As far as your Fostex (I still have my 8 track Fostex from 2002 with CD burner) I'm sure Beck who posts here could bring it back to life for you.👍

I was born in 63 and you were already playing guitar. Woah, good to know who my elders are.

The only thing I've sold from my studio was an electric violin that didn't pass muster, and the disappointment was such that I wanted it out of my sight and off the premises. The $$$$ from that went straight to the doctor that brought my son into the world. Money well turned around. The Adat I sent back was an M20 actually, (same thing as Meridian) and it didn't work properly at any point for any amount of time. So I bailed on it and sprang for the HD24XR and I'm continuously glad I did.

I've given away some things too. An Arion chorus pedal. The one that goes for 4 or 5 times what I paid for it now. I was pretty much done with chorus and the guitar player I was working with at the time seemed like he needed some gear.

And 1 perfectly good Mustang Cobra with 62,000 miles on it was practically given away, which is of course not a studio item. Pretty sure I did the wrong thing there. But, I rate as generous with somebody...who still thinks the world owes him something. Anyway, I'm up to the challenge of earning myself another or rather something else that suits me now.

So, it's not so much that it's mine, and I'm keeping it because it's mine. Or that I'm a hoarder, or stingy. In my type of studio stuff has potential uses and that's worth more than hassle of selling it for the most part.

As for the Fostex. It's service is greatly appreciated. I could see getting it refurbed and some possible uses. (I still have some very good unopened Fuji Z II tapes.) It sits where I can see it for now, and remember how far I've come.

• Members

I was born in 63 and you were already playing guitar. Woah, good to know who my elders are.

The only thing I've sold from my studio was an electric violin that didn't pass muster, and the disappointment was such that I wanted it out of my sight and off the premises. The $$$$ from that went straight to the doctor that brought my son into the world. Money well turned around. The Adat I sent back was an M20 actually, (same thing as Meridian) and it didn't work properly at any point for any amount of time. So I bailed on it and sprang for the HD24XR and I'm continuously glad I did.

I've given away some things too. An Arion chorus pedal. The one that goes for 4 or 5 times what I paid for it now. I was pretty much done with chorus and the guitar player I was working with at the time seemed like he needed some gear.

And 1 perfectly good Mustang Cobra with 62,000 miles on it was practically given away, which is of course not a studio item. Pretty sure I did the wrong thing there. But, I rate as generous with somebody...who still thinks the world owes him something. Anyway, I'm up to the challenge of earning myself another or rather something else that suits me now.

So, it's not so much that it's mine, and I'm keeping it because it's mine. Or that I'm a hoarder, or stingy. In my type of studio stuff has potential uses and that's worth more than hassle of selling it for the most part.

As for the Fostex. It's service is greatly appreciated. I could see getting it refurbed and some possible uses. (I still have some very good unopened Fuji Z II tapes.) It sits where I can see it for now, and remember how far I've come.

great narrative, and you have a interesting and very likeable ( at least by me) take and philosophy on generosity, materialism, and hell, just regular,ordinary, get through the day life.

Yup, I'm up there age wise, I'm Beatlemania age...I like to tell everyone 'I'm so old, my Mother was a waitress at 'The Last Supper'

Oh, man!

Sad about that Mustang Cobra...mojo sent. 😕

• Members

So I did take a couple photos yesterday afternoon of our place.....

The wife and I do our practicing in the front room with her 1920 Steinway Model O, flute, Akai EWI 5000, my Kawai CE220 digital piano, Takamine EF341SC and the newest addition, a JBL Eon One Pro.

Downstairs I'm trying to get things set up to do some recording......someday! Although I have newer MBP's with thunderbolt and MOTU interfaces that I use for gigs, I still cling to the last version of MBP that was 17", mostly because it has that UAD Solo Laptop thingie that slides into an expresscard slot on the side. There's the early firewire model of the Presonus SL16.4.2 that's still a good unit I think and although I've sold off most of the rack gear I once had there are still a few units I might like to use.

• Members
So I did take a couple photos yesterday afternoon of our place.....

The wife and I do our practicing in the front room with her 1920 Steinway Model O, my Kawai CE220 digital piano, Takamine EF341SC and the newest addition, a JBL Eon One Pro.

Downstairs I'm trying to get things set up to do some recording......someday! Although I have newer MBP's with thunderbolt and MOTU interfaces that I use for gigs, I still cling to the last version of MBP that was 17", mostly because it has that UAD Solo Laptop thingie that slides into an expresscard slot on the side. There's the early firewire model of the Presonus SL16.4.2 that's still a good unit I think and although I've sold off most of the rack gear I once had there are still a few units I might like to use.

Sweet!

• Members

Right! It's completely freakin' awesome that the wife and I share a passion for playing music. She also plays flute and for her recent birthday I bought her the Akai EWI 5000, it's a game changer for wind instrument sounds and she just loves it!

Archived