Harmony Central Forums
Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cakewalk Lives - Acquired by BandLab Technologies

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Cakewalk Lives - Acquired by BandLab Technologies

    https://www.soundonsound.com/news/cakewalk-sonar-lives

    BandLab acquires Cakewalk.

    Keeping the Harmony at Harmony Central

  • #2
    Glad to hear it - that's going to make a lot of people very happy!
    **********

    "Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."

    - George Carlin

    "It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."

    - Sir George Martin, All You Need Is Ears

    "The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."

    - Bob Lefsetz, The Lefsetz Letter

    Comment


    • #3
      Maybe they'll make a Mac port!
      http://www.crazydeliciousband.com/

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by ggm1960 View Post
        Maybe they'll make a Mac port!
        Well.. wouldn't that be something . Just as I am preparing for the real possibility I may not be able to afford a new Mac.... oh well. I'll be watching in interest for things like those of us who bought 'lifetime' ownership .... yeah.

        Comment


        • #5
          Noel Borthwick is pretty stoked
          CHECK IT OUT: Lilianna!, my latest song, is now streamable from YouTube.

          Subscribe, like, and share the links!

          Comment


          • #6
            Sonar users be like...

            Elson TrinidadSinger, Songwriter, Keyboardist, BassistElson and the Soul BarkadaWeb: www.elsongs.comMySpace: www.myspace.com/elsongsFacebook: Facebook PageTwitter: twitter.com/elsongs

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by ggm1960 View Post
              Maybe they'll make a Mac port!
              .

              music and social links | recent listening

              Comment


              • #8
                ....I have the "Subscription" version of Sonar...Wonder if they b comin after me for some mo' bank now?

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by AlamoJoe View Post
                  ....I have the "Subscription" version of Sonar...Wonder if they b comin after me for some mo' bank now?
                  Apparently not, they made it clear you're not going to have to buy Sonar again if you already bought it. Don't know if they'll go to a different update process in the future, though.
                  CHECK IT OUT: Lilianna!, my latest song, is now streamable from YouTube.

                  Subscribe, like, and share the links!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    This is good news - just wish it had happened a bit sooner. Most Sonar users I know have already bailed to Reaper or Presonus, etc.

                    If you read through the BandLab postings, note that they make a point that they did not buy the company, only the intellectual property. So, legally, the old Cakewalk subscription accounts are still with the old, defunct company. BandLab will of course do some things to try and retain the user base, but it's all totally at their discretion.

                    I suspect the chunk of change I slapped down for the lifetime updates is lost. But I'm willing to be pleasantly surprised. Can't really blame BandLab if they don't extend the deal to us lifers. And this will be a very different future than Cakewalk envisioned, I'm sure.

                    The big question is - what will they do to the core program? They are heavily into a hybrid social media/sharing/collab sort of vibe - will the (probably older) Sonar customer base take to the new context?

                    Oh, if they can only fix the eternal bugs in Sonar - the disappearing metronome click, the envelopes that get confused, the frozen plugins, the crashes, etc. And the whole cluttered, crammed, clumsy feel of the interface overall.

                    Not that I don't love Sonar - I do In spite of.....

                    nat


                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Something tells me this wouldn't have happened had the bakers not been working on Momentum. Looking at the BandLab web site, it is clear that they are seeking out the younger generation that lives, plays and does everything through their phone. Momentum (as I understood it) was seeking out the same group, to provide a bridge through Momentum to SONAR.

                      Just have a feeling that this may be the angle BandLab will take. Incorporate code from Momentum into the current BandLab iPhone and Android software that links back to SONAR. While the standard BandLab free software on the phone is good, when these young musicians are ready to go to a more 'Professional' level you can bring SONAR up and pull everything in and work on your music in a professional atmosphere.

                      I would also expect SONAR to start to incorporate some of the social media/collaboration aspect of the current BandLab software. Given what BandLab is already doing, can you imagine a video conference link to the folks you are collaborating with, directly from within SONAR? They hear (and see) what you hear, can discuss how to improve the mix, etc in near real time. They are already looking at changing the Cakewalk forum software to what BandLab is currently using (a good move in my opinion). Incorporating direct links from SONAR to the forum for help and assistance could be another social media aspect. It sounds like BandLab wants to keep as many existing Cakewalk forum users around, as Meng (the owner of BandLab) has been interacting with them on the forum a lot in just the past 48-72 hours. That is a huge knowledge base of users, and most folks on the forum have shown a willingness in the past to help out the new folks.

                      Also I would not be surprised to see direct links to the BandLab online Mastering software from within SONAR. Wouldn't be surprised to see it come with a few more options available only with the 'SONAR Professional' version (the last version of SONAR has links to LANDR Mastering, so I would imagine that will go by the wayside).

                      I can see where having a group of users looking for the 'next step' or the 'next level' would be a prime target to upgrade to SONAR. Providing them an 'easy pathway' is a no-brainer. If this works out, it could place SONAR in a unique position in today's DAW market, and might force others to play catch-up. To me it seems the folks at BandLab are attempting to offer a musical 'cradle to grave' solution - from easy input on the phone, through their own hardware interfaces, collaboration, import into a professional level DAW, provide mastering options and direct uploading to the social media presence. Also wouldn't be surprised if they are looking at another level that helps musicians 'sell' their music, promote their career, etc.

                      That's my 2-cents, and probably not worth that much!
                      Last edited by Mandolin Picker; 02-25-2018, 03:32 PM.
                      The Mandolin Picker

                      "Bless your hearts... and all your vital organs" - John Duffy

                      "Got time to breath, got time for music!"- Briscoe Darling, Jr.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Mandolin Picker View Post
                        Something tells me this wouldn't have happened had the bakers not been working on Momentum. Looking at the BandLab web site, it is clear that they are seeking out the younger generation that lives, plays and does everything through their phone. Momentum (as I understood it) was seeking out the same group, to provide a bridge through Momentum to SONAR.

                        Just have a feeling that this may be the angle BandLab will take. Incorporate code from Momentum into the current BandLab iPhone and Android software that links back to SONAR. While the standard BandLab free software on the phone is good, when these young musicians are ready to go to a more 'Professional' level you can bring SONAR up and pull everything in and work on your music in a professional atmosphere.

                        I would also expect SONAR to start to incorporate some of the social media/collaboration aspect of the current BandLab software. Given what BandLab is already doing, can you imagine a video conference link to the folks you are collaborating with, directly from within SONAR? They hear (and see) what you hear, can discuss how to improve the mix, etc in near real time. They are already looking at changing the Cakewalk forum software to what BandLab is currently using (a good move in my opinion). Incorporating direct links from SONAR to the forum for help and assistance could be another social media aspect. It sounds like BandLab wants to keep as many existing Cakewalk forum users around, as Meng (the owner of BandLab) has been interacting with them on the forum a lot in just the past 48-72 hours. That is a huge knowledge base of users, and most folks on the forum have shown a willingness in the past to help out the new folks.

                        Also I would not be surprised to see direct links to the BandLab online Mastering software from within SONAR. Wouldn't be surprised to see it come with a few more options available only with the 'SONAR Professional' version (the last version of SONAR has links to LANDR Mastering, so I would imagine that will go by the wayside).

                        I can see where having a group of users looking for the 'next step' or the 'next level' would be a prime target to upgrade to SONAR. Providing them an 'easy pathway' is a no-brainer. If this works out, it could place SONAR in a unique position in today's DAW market, and might force others to play catch-up. To me it seems the folks at BandLab are attempting to offer a musical 'cradle to grave' solution - from easy input on the phone, through their own hardware interfaces, collaboration, import into a professional level DAW, provide mastering options and direct uploading to the social media presence. Also wouldn't be surprised if they are looking at another level that helps musicians 'sell' their music, promote their career, etc.

                        That's my 2-cents, and probably not worth that much!

                        You make very interesting and compelling point:

                        But from my side of the street, I think most of Cakewalk software user based are not people looking for drastic change, it's like a child who lives with his parents and never leaves home or the person who has never left his country.

                        Unless BandLab is looking to entice new customers, the current customer base are too polarized when it comes to change.

                        When Cakewalk/Sonar was initially disbanded, people freaked out as if the world was ending, the reaction appeared to me as if people were just informed they will no longer be allowed to make music.

                        Assuming a person loves Cakewalk to death, I begun to asked myself, are people freaking out because they love Cakewalk or because they are too afraid to try other systems?

                        Personally I wont be going back to Cakewalk unless the software is moved from the Project Musician methodology to the mainstream. 1 in every 10 musicians I have asked do not use Cakewalk/Sonar.

                        Personally, I was really hoping a company like RME, Presonous or Focusrite would have acquired Cakewalk. Imagine what would happened if Sonar becomes integrated with RME or Focusrite.

                        Until Cakewalk/Sonar abandoned the Project musician mentality it will always be like the great musician who has never made a hit song.

                        I guarantee no one is going to miss me or care but I wont be going back. I stayed with Cakewalk because I was lazy, I did not want to leave my comfort zone, and I did not have the time to master other systems.

                        The entire Gibson/Cakewalk saga was a blessing because it forced me to move on to other things, and while Sonar is great in it's own right, deep down I always felt it was not a serious progressive platforms, and most NOT ALL of it's users were highly emotionally charged with pubescent like reactionary behavior.

                        I'll say Cakewalk is like Apple, Apple started in a Garage but moved out. Cakewalk Started as the same level but never really departed from the Stigma.

                        Hopefully ,this is the turning point and greater things are yet to come.


                        If you stand for nothing your life becomes meaningless. The world and everything you have today exist because people before you stood up, worked hard and died to provide us all the opportunity. Get involved!

                        Audio Icon

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by nat whilk II View Post
                          This is good news - just wish it had happened a bit sooner. Most Sonar users I know have already bailed to Reaper or Presonus, etc.

                          If you read through the BandLab postings, note that they make a point that they did not buy the company, only the intellectual property. So, legally, the old Cakewalk subscription accounts are still with the old, defunct company. BandLab will of course do some things to try and retain the user base, but it's all totally at their discretion.

                          I suspect the chunk of change I slapped down for the lifetime updates is lost. But I'm willing to be pleasantly surprised. Can't really blame BandLab if they don't extend the deal to us lifers. And this will be a very different future than Cakewalk envisioned, I'm sure.

                          The big question is - what will they do to the core program? They are heavily into a hybrid social media/sharing/collab sort of vibe - will the (probably older) Sonar customer base take to the new context?

                          Oh, if they can only fix the eternal bugs in Sonar - the disappearing metronome click, the envelopes that get confused, the frozen plugins, the crashes, etc. And the whole cluttered, crammed, clumsy feel of the interface overall.

                          Not that I don't love Sonar - I do In spite of.....

                          nat

                          I was really hoping a player Like Focusrite or RME would acquired Cakewalk.
                          I see a transformation coming but in a new direction.

                          If you stand for nothing your life becomes meaningless. The world and everything you have today exist because people before you stood up, worked hard and died to provide us all the opportunity. Get involved!

                          Audio Icon

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I've always used multiple programs. Sonar did what I needed it to do better than any other program, but it had "holes" that Live and Studio One filled.

                            I believe programs are going to diverge even further in the years ahead, and it will be worth becoming proficient on more than one of them. I am very, very glad Sonar will continue to exist. However, in the future I have no doubt that I'll be starting projects in Studio One, Sonar, and Live, depending on the nature of the project.
                            CHECK IT OUT: Lilianna!, my latest song, is now streamable from YouTube.

                            Subscribe, like, and share the links!

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Anderton View Post
                              I've always used multiple programs. Sonar did what I needed it to do better than any other program, but it had "holes" that Live and Studio One filled.

                              I believe programs are going to diverge even further in the years ahead, and it will be worth becoming proficient on more than one of them. I am very, very glad Sonar will continue to exist. However, in the future I have no doubt that I'll be starting projects in Studio One, Sonar, and Live, depending on the nature of the project.
                              Interesting comment - what types of projects go with which program in your own productions?

                              nat

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X