Cheap "RECORDING" Sign

• Members

OK, I always wanted one of those little signs that lights up and says "RECORDING" that I could put on the wall outside the music room. I had even gone through and found several "DIY" implementations that I had saved for "a later date." Today I was in Target and in the home decor section they had two styles of battery powered light boards - one that had three rows and one that was a single row. I picked up the single row sign. It is about 12.5 inches long, 3.5 inches high, and about 2.25 inches deep. It comes with black slide-in letters. It is just big enough to spell out "RECORDING". It use 3 AA batteries and even has mounting holes in the back. Best of all it was only $9.95. They also had a three row light which might be perfect for the podcaster who wants an "ON THE AIR" lighted message board. Here is a link to the 3-row light (can't find the single row light on their web site) - https://www.target.com/p/diy-light-box-led-room-essentials-153/-/A-52007695#lnk=newtab

• CMS Author

American Recorder (that's a company) sells Recording, On The Air, and a couple of other red illuminated signs. They had some on display at their booth at the NAMM show. I remember someone selling on years ago that had a MIDI input that triggered the light when it received a MIDI command.

American Recorder (that's a company) sells Recording' date=' On The Air, and a couple of other red illuminated signs. They had some on display at their booth at the NAMM show. I remember someone selling on years ago that had a MIDI input that triggered the light when it received a MIDI command.[/quote']

Thanks for the tip Mike. Looks like they have a few different ones, although theirs are more expensive.

https://www.americanrecorder.com/search?type=product&q=recording+sign

• Members

• Members

• CMS Author
It'd be cool if the sign connected to the DAW via wifi so it would light every time you armed a track to record... I suppose the DAW itself would have to support this.

It would probably be through MIDI. Most DAWs can send MMC (MIDI Machine Control) Record Arm and Record messages, so all you'd need is a MIDI OUT and a MIDI-to-Contact Closure box like the ones offered by MIDI Solutions.

If you set it up to turn on the light whenever a track is armed, it would probably be on all day for a busy session and you might as well just flip a switch or hang a "do not enter" sign on the door. What might be more useful is if the sign was visible to the musicians so they'd know when you were recording so they wouldn't have to say "Oh? Am I supposed to be playing now?"

Archived