A Eulogy for the Headphone Jack

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Eulogy for the Headphone Jack

Interesting comments. I like voltages too
    CHECK IT OUT: Lilianna!, my latest song, is now streamable from YouTube.

Subscribe, like, and share the links!

That is one of the most interesting articles I have read in the last few days.
    Ironically, I had a EKG yesterday before my routine colonoscopy.

Comment

Wi-fi is just not there yet, except at the careless, disposable, cheap end of entertainment delivery.

But the drive to get rid of wires and cables and jacks and plugs surely won't go away since these things are cluttery and tangly and subject to breakage and generally a pain.

Wireless signals simply have to become more robust, right? Less interruptible, interceptible, corruptible, all that.

No, I don't think I would miss the venerable phone jack IF wireless matched it for reliability and purity of the transmitted whatever. Wires and jacks also have their interference issues, degradation of signal issues, too.

No, I don't need the actual connection sending the actual signal across metallic threads and casings and such. Just like I don't need the same physical dollar back when I withdraw money from the bank that I deposited a month ago.

Wichita Lineman is a great song, and there's great romance in the notion of all that signal flowing all that distance from a voice in Houston to a loved one in Vancouver. But there's no magic in that method that other methods can't duplicate IMHO.

nat

Comment

So it's the creeps with the licensing. It'll be drinking water before you know it.
        Originally posted by Unconfigured Static HTML Widget...

Write Something, or Drag and Drop Images Here...

Comment

Originally posted by nat whilk II View Post

Wireless signals simply have to become more robust, right? Less interruptible, interceptible, corruptible, all that.
          Nope. The problem is available wireless spectrum. There is only so much available, and with all the new stuff coming out there is less and less available. Technology is getting better at making the frequencies your wireless stuff uses narrower and less prone to interference, but it can't eliminate it.

Right now there are tons of folks in the live music business, theaters, civic halls and churches who have to replace perfectly good wireless mics and accessories - all because they are in the 600 MHz frequency spectrum. If you are old like I am, you will remember that we use to have 800 MHz mics, but lost that spectrum for 'public safety' (BTW, I am retired public safety and at the time we went to 800 MHz radios we were not happy. It was new technology and we couldn't get a signal once we went inside a building. We ended up installing a boatload of repeaters all across the city, and still had to have repeaters installed in apparatus. This was also a factor to the loss of firefighters in New York on 9-11. A lot of them couldn't get radio signals inside the towers. If you watch old footage from that day, you will hear their radio's "honking out" - an audible signal to let you know you cannot send or receive radio transmissions). However, the wireless carriers wanted that spectrum, so we lost it and went to 700 MHz. Public Safety was also pushed off of 800 MHz and had to share with everyone else. They found that they needed dedicated spectrum (due to interference - just like we had when we were back in the 100 MHz band - along with Joe's Wrecker Service and the City Cab Company) and so the 700 MHz band was set aside for them, and everyone else moved to 600 MHz. Now the wireless carriers need the 600 MHz band so your toaster can talk to your refrigerator, so we are getting pushed out again. Sooner or later, we run out of spectrum. And you have to ask, does our toaster really need to talk to the fridge?
          Last edited by Mandolin Picker; 01-23-2018, 10:49 PM.
          The Mandolin Picker

"Bless your hearts... and all your vital organs" - John Duffy

"Got time to breath, got time for music!"- Briscoe Darling, Jr.

Comment

Duplicate - sorry
            Last edited by Mandolin Picker; 01-23-2018, 10:47 PM.
            The Mandolin Picker

Comment

Originally posted by nat whilk II View Post
              No, I don't think I would miss the venerable phone jack IF wireless matched it for reliability and purity of the transmitted whatever.
              I'm still not convinced that there are zero health effects from having RF radiation that close to your head - no inverse square law to buffer you. There are some studies that raise questions about the long-term effects of cell phones. The medical consensus is that we simply don't have enough data to know for sure about the long-term risks. For example heating of tissue is minimal, but what happens over 30 years? We don't know yet. We also don't know what the effects will be on children who were raised on cell phones while their brains were still developing.

I'm not an alarmist about this, but we're exposed to a lot of RF. Granted it's not on the same level as an X-ray, but still...

CHECK IT OUT: Lilianna!, my latest song, is now streamable from YouTube.

Subscribe, like, and share the links!

Comment

• nat whilk II
                nat whilk II commented
                Editing a comment
                Ah, that's something I know next to nothing about - it crops up in the media from time to time...I'll pay closer attention.

I don't think the RF threat is nearly as bad as it was maybe 10-15 years ago - simply because people no longer talk on their cell phones. Most everything is texting, checking facebook, etc. So the transmitter is no longer as close to the brain as it used to be. Given what I have been reading lately, social media (facebook, instagram, etc) may be a bigger health threat (mental health) than any RF issues.
              The Mandolin Picker

Comment

I don't call them headphone jacks unless they are for the headphones. They are mini phone jacks and plugs. But I'm not militant about this if someone else calls them a heaphone jack, I know what they mean.

If I was buying a phone, I would shy away from the wireless earbud types for as long as the mini phone jack was still available.

I can plug my phone into my car sound system, so when using GPS the voice comes strong enough for me to easily hear above traffic noise.

It's about universal standards. I know Apple and many other manufacturers want to give you some patented, proprietary devices to keep you in the 'ecosystem' and from straying to another manufacturer.

It's like the synths before MIDI. It reminds me of the days when saving the data from one computer on a floppy disk wouldn't load into any other brand of computer because the format and data were different.

Standards are good. Audio over a wire is audio over a wire. Pretty much the same as it was when my father worked on radios and black & white TV sets.

I go for the simple standard.

I don't use the phone much. I have a land-line at home, and I'm self-employed at home. When I'm in the car going to a gig or on the gig I have the 'bell' turned off so it won't get answered. But I do like having google in my pocket.

Notes
                Bob "Notes" Norton
                Owner, Norton Music http://www.nortonmusic.com
                Style and Fake disks for Band-in-a-Box
                The Sophisticats http://www.s-cats.com >^. .^< >^. .^<

Comment

Working...
                X