'Smoke' Vinyl LP Post-Unboxing Video

Mark L

• CMS Author

That's another thing to be proud of, Mark.

Interesting that the businesss model for having your own LP made hasn't changed (or has been resurrected) since the 1960s. Through the 80s at least, there were a number of companies that had offered stock photos and jacket designs - all you needed to do was send them a tape and jacket notes. The difference was that those were full pressing plants - they cut the lacquer, made the metal stampers, and pressed and packaged the disks. You could get just one (or a few test pressings) but most people ordered a few hundred. Some are probably still brand new, in a closet somewhere.

A friend of mine who runs Adelphi Records has just started re-issuing some of his more popular LPs as LPs and finding the procedure as it is today to be far more expensive than it used to be, but the good news is that just about every manufacturer he talked to really knew what they were doing and were very committed to producing a high quality product. What you got out of some of the chop shops from the '60s was pretty poor quality . . . . but it was a RECORD.

• Members

A friend of mine who runs Adelphi Records has just started re-issuing some of his more popular LPs as LPs and finding the procedure as it is today to be far more expensive than it used to be, but the good news is that just about every manufacturer he talked to really knew what they were doing and were very committed to producing a high quality product. What you got out of some of the chop shops from the '60s was pretty poor quality . . . . but it was a RECORD.

Our teen- aged Garage Band in the Mid-Sixties was lucky enough to have a Rich Manager who took a fancy to us, we became his hobby after we played at his daughters Bat Mitzvah, he bought us matching jackets, copywrited our original tunes, then took us to a local studio in Princeton, NJ and had us record three 45s one song , each side..25 copies of each.

.He gave us one of each, then took the rest to hand out as demos to people to book us for pool parties, graduation parties,Bar/Bat Mitzvahs, etc.

I think because of those records we had gigs every weekend and Holidays.

They were/ are of inferior quality but we didn't know that back then 😊

Like you said, Mike...it was a RECORD.

edit: I just checked one of the 45s...it was recorded at Hagen's Studio, Harrison Street, Princeton NJ...It was built with the help and advice of a friend of Mr. Hagen, Mr. Les Paul.

• Members

Indeed, Mike and Luke, it's all about having a record. You were lucky to have a rich patron, Luke. Well played! And props for the Les Paul connection :cool:

AJ, Dolly was on her best behaviour. As soon as I switched off the camera she started eating the table! smiley-wink

• Members
Didn't Deep Purple promote your album at one point in the song "Smoke on the Vinyl?"

Seriously...that does look cool to have your music on vinyl. And it's always good to hear your voice, even if it's not singing :)

However, your pun definitely deserves a :philpalm:;)

Archived