Gonna Be On Vinyl

Mark L

• Members

I've always wanted to have my songs on a vinyl LP, and thanks to Vinylify it will soon be a reality

Ten minutes per side (this seems to be standard), plus user-designed cover and labels

It's a bit steep at 99 Euros (£87 or $117) but it's a one-off and hey, it is Christmas ;)

Just thought I'd mention it. It's quite a big deal for me

• Members

Wow, 10 minutes a side... Sounds like the art of mastering vinyl has been lost to the ages. Or something. They used to get 15 to 22 minutes per side.

In any event, congratulations on your album release!

If you send me one of yours I'll send you one of mine. What do you think?

(mine is a CD though, released last May).

Here are some of the tracks CDBaby put on YouTube:

• Members

'This video is not available' :(

I'd love to send you one of mine, Philbo, but unfortunately at £87 a pop I can only really afford to have just the one LP cut. And that one is taking pride of place in my bookcase when it arrives

• Members

I'd love to send you one of mine, Philbo, but unfortunately at £87 a pop I can only really afford to have just the one LP cut. And that one is taking pride of place in my bookcase when it arrives

Gees, you just ruined my excitement. :)

I was going to tell you to consider one copy sold! I was ready to buy your album.

I wont buy CD's but I'll buy vinyl any day.

• Members

Gees, you just ruined my excitement. :)

I was going to tell you to consider one copy sold! I was ready to buy your album.

I wont buy CD's but I'll buy vinyl any day.

Having a vinyl album cut is an expensive business for the hobby songwriter, whereas you can do your own CDs and it costs next to nothing :(

The last vinyl album I bought was Innuendo by Queen back in 1991. It cost me £7.99, which at the time I thought was extortionate. At the moment on Amazon it's £27.99. Now that's extortionate! :eek2:

Vinyl is ridiculously expensive and record companies are taking advantage of its current 'cool retro' image. I reckon that in another decade or so CDs will be back in vogue....and will probably cost a fortune!

• Members

Disc Makers will do 200 copies of 12" vinyl for $10 each, including shipping in the US. If you're going to spend $117 for one, might as well spend 20x as much for 200x records! Shipping to England would probably be prohibitive, though...

In any event, congratulations! Hey, now that I'm moving more to Studio One, it would be a lot easier to do collaborations...just sayin.'

• Members
I'm looking forward to hearing your album, Ernest

It's been some time in preparation, hasn't it? Hopefully, a splendid time will be guaranteed for all :)

I doubt it it`ll be a "splendid time" for all... my writing is purely therapeutic so very few will relate to the lyrical content. Your song resonated with me... it helped me express an experience I had years ago that I could not put into words. I`m glad its part of the record and from my own artistic perspective, it fits in perfectly with the rest of the tunes.

As for the years of preparation... thats just me not knowing when to let go... my son said it best a few weeks back when he told me, "Dad, it`ll never be perfect. Just do the best you can and put it out this year."

I`m trying to take his advice but I just wrote a song the other day that I think completes the album so God knows how long it`ll take me to produce a track for it...

• Members

Oh, it doesn't have to be vinyl... especially if it will set you back that much money.

Just a CD or a link to a place I can download them would be fine. I enjoy hearing your stuff. Maybe I'll go to your SoundCloud page and stream them into my DAW. Is the new stuff there too?

By the way, this link should work. I don't have the entire album posted, but 6 of the 13 songs are up. I plan to add the rest after I retire from my day job next week... 8-)

www.soundclick.com/philboking

• Members

Thanks for the kind words, and for the link! I've always felt the British brought something unique to the blues, a higher energy level that had a broad influence on how us Yanks play as well.

I'll download the album this weekend. A valued addition to my collection.

Archived