No announcement yet.

Releasing Your Music - What's Best?

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Releasing Your Music - What's Best?

Mark's thread got me thinking about this. First, I'm sure we can all agree that we're not going to make a significant living from music unless we devote ourselves to it full-time, or sell merch at live concerts. Second, we have music that we want to at least make available for people who like it.

So, I put my music on YouTube, Mark does SoundCloud, Ernest is doing a CD. Some people post music on their web sites. How do you get your music out into the world?

Also...album or singles? For both Neo- and Simplicity, I posted the complete albums and the individual songs. I figured if people didn't like the album but liked a particular song, they could just listen to the song. However, the albums are getting about 10x the clicks of the individual songs.

For my next project, I'm considering putting out the individual cuts as soon as they're done, and then when they're finished putting them together into an album. Or maybe I'll just wait.

Thoughts on any/all of the above?
    Simplicity, my new album project, is now streamable from my YouTube channel.

Subscribe, like, and share the links!

It depends. A CD is a must if you're sending it out to radio stations or podcasters.

If selling at shows, CDs, thumbdrives with your logo and vinyl all work.

CDs are probably the cheapest to manufacture, short of streaming with Spotify or Youtube. Thumbdrives carry an inherent risk of spreading viruses. Vinyl attracts certain folks but isn't for everyone...

I just released an album of original tunes ( cdbaby.com/philboking2 ) earlier this year, and printed 300 CDs. I have about 100 of those left. I've also sold some through the cdbaby online store; not sure how many off the top of my head.

It's gone better than I hoped - I've been getting radio & podcast play pretty regularly.
    Last edited by philboking; 09-29-2017, 11:54 AM.

Comment

I am under absolutely no illusions that anyone would actually pay to listen to my songs. Hence, I chose Soundcloud. It's free for me to upload my tunes and it's free for interested parties to listen to them

Also, I'm very familiar with Soundcloud. Which helps

If anyone wants to listen to individual songs, they can. And if anyone wants to listen to the whole album, they can. Songs on Soundcloud auto-play one after the other, you see. On a loop

I'm not entirely convinced that people need visuals to go with audio, which is why I didn't use Youtube. Soundcloud doesn't appear to mind how large an artist's MP3 files are. Unlike Reverbnation

I can't afford to have a load of CDs made, so Soundcloud is just fine for me
      smoke - new album
      the mirror - album
      storm - album
      the asylum - forum

Comment

I no longer buy CD's. I do not own a CD player, well except for in my car. It has to be Vinyl for me.
        Alternatively, I listen to YouTube, I have never listen to any other medium. Once in a while I may checkout SoundCloud but YouTube is where the action is.
        If you stand for nothing your life becomes meaningless. The world and everything you have today exist because people before you stood up, worked hard and died to provide us all the opportunity. Get involved!

Audio Icon

Comment

Originally posted by Mark L View Post
          I am under absolutely no illusions that anyone would actually pay to listen to my songs.
          WRONG! Mark L you are extremely talented and on of the great artist on these forums. I have listen to some of your songs from a blind prospective and I could not tell if I was listening to the Beatles or Mark L.

Don't underestimate yourself.

Do you have stuff on Vinyl? If so I can buy a record and you can sign it for me.
          If you stand for nothing your life becomes meaningless. The world and everything you have today exist because people before you stood up, worked hard and died to provide us all the opportunity. Get involved!

Audio Icon

Comment

That's very kind of you, audioicon!

I have nothing on vinyl. My stuff isn't really mixed and mastered (or recorded) properly, so if I had it done professionally AND had to fork out for vinyl pressing, it would cost me an absolute fortune

I'm just a hobbyist. My stuff really needs to be recorded by pros. Just haven't got that kind of dough
            smoke - new album
            the mirror - album
            storm - album
            the asylum - forum

Comment

I haven’t tried this but I think the model looks interesting.

https://www.songtradr.com
              Don Boomer

Comment

I have nothing on vinyl. My stuff isn't really mixed and mastered (or recorded) properly, so if I had it done professionally AND had to fork out for vinyl pressing, it would cost me an absolute fortune

I'm just a hobbyist. My stuff really needs to be recorded by pros. Just haven't got that kind of dough

But isn't that in the eye of the beholder?

There are many songs, some big hits that IMHO were not recorded professionally and still managed to have an impact.

To me it's about capturing your state of mind and what you are at the moment. The greatest musical ideas are never recorded "professionally" because most great ideas don't come when you are sitting in front of a Console with top engineers standing by. They simply happen.

I have decided that what's professional is the intent and the effort not so much the product.

For example:

"While Marl L was stranded on an airplane, he wrote and recorded a song on his Phone about the his experience"

Vs.

"While Marl L was in the studio he decided to quickly put some beats together to catch the Christmas sale."

If there is honesty and hard work, professionalism don't matter because as a Listener, I am trying to connect, I want to feel what you are feeling and get inside of your head.

It does not matter what and how you recorded your material at such point.

I which I had some of your talent.

Audio Icon

Comment

I've been lurking here lately and decided to respond to this, because it's a subject I've been wrestling with for some time. Now that I approach 40, and work a 9 to 5 with benefits and trying to plan for the future, I have no goals of making a career out of what is essentially a hobby. But that doesn't mean I would mind an audience, however small.

I did complete an album in '12, which was recorded in my basement, and had it professionally mastered. I had 50 physical copies printed, and made it available for streaming on iTunes and YouTube. I thought I might start gigging locally and just start getting more involved in the local music scene. But that idea lost steam, and I didn't really stick with it.

Been working on a 2nd album since then, but I don't know whether or not it's worth doing something like that again...unless I decide to start playing live again and making it available at gigs, which, as I approach 40, I've come to realize that even though I don't completely hate performing live, I never really enjoyed it all that much. I'm much more a studio guy. That's where I feel the most creative.

But that does leave very few options in getting people interested enough to listen, and that isn't a complaint necessarily. It would be unrealistic to expect them to care about some random guy's music on the internet. So for now, when I finish a track, I simply throw it on Soundcloud and Bandcamp, and if by some chance, someone might want to hear it, it's there. I may post a link to it on Facebook, for friends and family to see, but even there, I get very few responses. Even my girlfriend doesn't care. Lol

I do still ask myself, if my music isn't reaching people in any way, what's the point of continuing to do it? But music has played such a big role in my life for so long that it's difficult for me to imagine not doing it. I feel like it's a part of who I am. So I guess I'll keep writing and creating, and hopefully figure it out one day.
                  Last edited by kurdy; 10-03-2017, 05:33 PM.

Comment

• AlamoJoe
                    AlamoJoe commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Sounds to me like you have it all figured out, and for all the right reasons....Play on!

methinks there is too much to ever listen to now..compared to 50 years ago or so.

Comment

Originally posted by kurdy View Post
                    I do still ask myself, if my music isn't reaching people in any way, what's the point of continuing to do it? But music has played such a big role in my life for so long that it's difficult for me to imagine not doing it. I feel like it's a part of who I am. So I guess I'll keep writing and creating, and hopefully figure it out one day.
                    I think you've answered your own question here. It's worth doing if you enjoy it. It's good that you consider it a hobby, and the reason to have a hobby is the enjoyment and satisfaction you get from working it.
                    --
                    "Today's production equipment is IT-based and cannot be operated without a passing knowledge of computing, although it seems that it can be operated without a passing knowledge of audio." - John Watkinson, Resolution Magazine, October 2006
                    Drop by http://mikeriversaudio.wordpress.com now and then

Comment

Originally posted by MikeRivers View Post

I think you've answered your own question here. It's worth doing if you enjoy it. It's good that you consider it a hobby, and the reason to have a hobby is the enjoyment and satisfaction you get from working it.
                      It's true that may be the best outlook to have. Unfortunately, a big driver for me is imagining someone listening, enjoying, singing along.

I don't know if anyone creates art purely for themselves. Artists desire an audience of some sort. Writers want people to read their stories. Painters want people to see their paintings. Otherwise nobody would bother doing it. Everyone would just throw all of their stuff in the closet never to be seen.

I suppose a better question would be how to reduce the pangs of frustration when no one is listening. That may be a more useful aim than seeking an audience that doesn't exist.

Comment

The $$$$ you are thinking about spending on that lovely guitar could probably get you to Phil's and back. He was willing to record you for points iirc. The pressure would be on a bit - but I get the feeling you don't need many takes, for the vocals anyway. I also think that your music would benefit from some players being involved, that's a fair bit more to get rolling with though.

But maybe the next time your creative juices aren't flowing it might be worthwhile to get a few of your best and do them up right. Regardless of what you may or may not have in mind for them, they'll have the professional touch. And if it seems like too much trouble...

...I knew a violinist once who went into his violin lesson and before he could play a thing he'd prepared his teacher plopped some music he'd never heard or seen on the stand in front of him and said, "Play some of this for me." And he did. It was Schubert btw. After a phrase of 16 bars the teacher stopped him and said, "You have something that very few people have. You know how music should go."

I share that with you because I think it's true of you, Mark. You are 'musical', and in a world full of home spun music-ish finger paintings and wall paper you and your music actually have the right to be in a recording studio. I don't know that it will get you into a new tax bracket, but it might increase your chances - not to mention the the size of your audience.

Comment

Originally posted by kurdy View Post
                          I do still ask myself, if my music isn't reaching people in any way, what's the point of continuing to do it?
                          I would make music even if I was the only person who heard it. A lot of the reason I make music is because it's the kind of music I want to hear, so I listen to my own music quite a bit. Fortunately, some other people want to listen to it as well, so I make it available for anyone who can find it.

I have thought about releasing my music on a USB memory stick with the samples I used, projects people can remix, photos, art etc. but that seems too much like work for now
                          Simplicity, my new album project, is now streamable from my YouTube channel.

Subscribe, like, and share the links!

Comment

Originally posted by Anderton View Post
                            For my next project, I'm considering putting out the individual cuts as soon as they're done, and then when they're finished putting them together into an album. Or maybe I'll just wait.
                            I think that is currently the "best practice" - get the singles out there right away (don't make your fans have to wait long periods of time between releases), and then compile the album once you have enough cuts finished.

"Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."

- George Carlin

"It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."

- Sir George Martin, All You Need Is Ears

"The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."

- Bob Lefsetz, The Lefsetz Letter

Comment

Working...
                            X