No announcement yet.

Coming to Facebook - music videos?

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coming to Facebook - music videos?

Yes, they're there now, but they are not supposed to be... but if Facebook has its way, they'll be paying hundreds of millions so that their members can post videos legally...

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...r-music-rights

Will they become a bigger streamer of music content than YouTube?

"Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."

- George Carlin

"It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."

- Sir George Martin, All You Need Is Ears

"The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."

- Bob Lefsetz, The Lefsetz Letter

Does anyone accurately understand what you've actually done if you post a video of your personally-created music to FB? Have you somehow given away some rights and/or ownership to FB by doing so?

FB is getting so cluttered with FB-bot postings of endless videos and "have you seen this?" postings from people I've never heard of. Maybe there's a way to turn all that junk off....FB maintenance however is not high on my priority to-do list. My go-to procedure has been to visit FB less often, much less. And when I do visit, I scroll and skim and scan, hardly paying attention, bored in under a minute.

Except for Ken Lee's posts about his photos - love those!

nat

Comment

I do not have Facebook, never have and never will.
      This and other Forums are the stop for me.

Hopefully , there are others like me.
      If you stand for nothing your life becomes meaningless. The world and everything you have today exist because people before you stood up, worked hard and died to provide us all the opportunity. Get involved!

Audio Icon

Comment

Originally posted by nat whilk II View Post
        Does anyone accurately understand what you've actually done if you post a video of your personally-created music to FB? Have you somehow given away some rights and/or ownership to FB by doing so?

FB is getting so cluttered with FB-bot postings of endless videos and "have you seen this?" postings from people I've never heard of. Maybe there's a way to turn all that junk off....FB maintenance however is not high on my priority to-do list. My go-to procedure has been to visit FB less often, much less. And when I do visit, I scroll and skim and scan, hardly paying attention, bored in under a minute.

nat

Why, thank you! Very kind of you. I love sharing my photos on Facebook and elsewhere.

I'll just generally respond to a few things here:

- I use F.B. Purity to clean up my newsfeed. It's really easy, only taking a few minutes. http://www.fbpurity.com/

- I enjoy Facebook, even without F.B. Purity, although that has greatly increased my enjoyment. I like it because I don't see a lot of the "have you see this?" garbage, I like it because my friends are fun, interesting, and entertaining, and I like it because I get a lot out of the groups. I believe I am a good photographer, and that I am a good photographer largely because of Facebook's groups. People are more than generous with their time and knowledge, and I love interacting with super talented, nice, people, and have made a lot of friends that way. I am one of the Admins for Long Exposure Photography and Long Exposure Creativity photography Facebook groups, and thoroughly enjoy my time in those and other groups.

If you (using "you" collectively, not specifically you) find that your newsfeed is full of garbage, you have to ask yourself whether you should be friends with a lot of these people. Why is it a waste of time? I love filters. I cut out the garbage, and do it with the snap of a finger. But I don't have too much garbage because my friends are funny, interesting, and entertaining. If you don't have friends that are funny, interesting, and entertaining, is that a Facebook problem?

- To the best of my knowledge, the stuff you post on FB is yours. But you may have just given them permission to use it for advertisement, etc. If you are genuinely concerned about this, read the fine print before posting anything. And remember, you don't always need to post things publicly. In fact, it's better if you don't.
        Ken Lee on 500px / Ken's Photo Store / Ken Lee Photography Facebook Website / Blueberry Buddha Studios / Ajanta Palace Houseboat - Kashmir / Hotel Green View - Kashmir / Eleven Shadows website / Ken Lee Photography Blog / Akai 12-track tape transfers / MY NEW ALBUM! The Mercury Seven

Comment

At any rate, I look forward to what will happen with this music video issue.

This may not be a bad thing. Certainly not for Facebook.

"The posting and viewing of video on Facebook has exploded in recent years, and many of the videos feature music to which Facebook doesn’t have the rights. Under current law, rights holders must ask Facebook to take down videos with infringing material.

Music owners have been negotiating with Facebook for months in search of a solution, and Facebook has promised to build a system to identify and tag music that infringes copyrights. Yet such a setup will take as long as two years to complete, which is too long for both sides to wait, said the people, who asked not to be named discussing details that aren’t public.

Facebook is eager to make a deal now so that it no longer frustrates users, by taking down their videos; partners, by hosting infringing material; or advertisers, with the prospect of legal headaches."
          Last edited by UstadKhanAli; 09-14-2017, 07:25 PM.
          Ken Lee on 500px / Ken's Photo Store / Ken Lee Photography Facebook Website / Blueberry Buddha Studios / Ajanta Palace Houseboat - Kashmir / Hotel Green View - Kashmir / Eleven Shadows website / Ken Lee Photography Blog / Akai 12-track tape transfers / MY NEW ALBUM! The Mercury Seven

Comment

Originally posted by nat whilk II View Post

nat
            +1 on Ken Lee's stuff!

Comment

Working...
            X