Firefox 55.0.3

1001gear

• Members

Any Firefox users? 55 breaks old addons and labels many popular ones as Legacy items which means they will cease to work as of ver 57. :eek: Some may be updated into compliance but others will simply die off. One temp fix is Firefox ESR

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/organizations/

DL here

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo...nizations/all/

• Members

More info.

https://www.ghacks.net/2017/08/08/firefox-your-options-to-run-legacy-add-ons/

Current version is 52.3.0 which I installed to a folder separate from the current 55.0.3 and I did get back addon functionality although some buttons and all bookmark icons are gone or while still functional, simply greyed.

The two versions won't run simultaneously; 55 commandeering the show. Even separate shortcuts are redirected and any instance of ver.55 ambushes the bookmark icons in ver 52 back to identical grey circles.

One site issue, 55 posts funny here. The page will freeze on the "working" spinner thing although reopening the thread in a separate tab shows the successfully completed post.

• CMS Author
Any Firefox users? 55 breaks old addons and labels many popular ones as Legacy items which means they will cease to work as of ver 57. :eek: Some may be updated into compliance but others will simply die off. One temp fix is Firefox ESR

I've been on the ESR schedule for a few years now. They still break things now and then, but at least you don't get bugged to update every couple of weeks. I rarely notice any changes with an update (as long as something hasn't broken) but I guess programmers need to eat, too.

Like DAW programs and word processors, web browsers are capable of doing many things that I don't care about and wouldn't do even if I knew what they were. But rust never sleeps.

• Members

I'm still at Firefox 46, more like I rolled back to that. I was a fan of Firefox for years, but as Anderton said... and they're about to lose me to Chrome as well. At the risk of sounding conspiratorial, Firefox updates just get better at delivering ads and pop-ups that I don't want. Just when I get a version of Firefox to work as I want it to a new version undoes all the work I did to make it less bloated. Fast, light and unbloated was its selling point at one time. Now it's anything but.

• CMS Author
Just when I get a version of Firefox to work as I want it to a new version undoes all the work I did to make it less bloated. Fast' date=' light and unbloated was its selling point at one time. Now it's anything but.[/quote']

But is Chrome really any better? I have a copy of Chrome, along with Firefox, installed on my workshop computer, which is running Win7, because there are a few web sites that just don't work right with Firefox, but unless I can find an old copy on an archive somewhere, I can't get a copy of Chrome for my XP computers.

• Members

But is Chrome really any better?

That I don't know. Good question. I've been in IT long enough to see companies go from begging for our business to calling the shots and seeing us as expendable.

Everything is getting out of control as far as I'm concerned. However, I'll be fine. I don't just play a rebel and nonconformist on TV, I always have been since high school.

I'll drop out of all this... facebook, web forums, online anything and everything... if/when it crosses my line in the sand.

It's pretty Orwellian as it is. Cameras everywhere, our every move tracked via our online activity and mobile phones. I could go into the long version, but here's the short one.

9/11/2001 the world changed. We lost! We won the initial bombs and bullets war, but we lost the long protracted war of attrition... the psychological war.

We gave up all those rights we were fighting for, our sense of personal space and privacy in exchange for perceived safety and security. Terrorism works!

Well anyway, for now I'll keep messing with all the old versions of Firefox I collected until I find one that works for most things I need and doesn't drive me crazy.

I've got a couple old versions of Chrome for XP as well, but I also have Windows 7 for non-studio use. I can try the latest Chrome offering and see what they're up to these days.

Oh, and by the way, if you start hearing news reports of someone shooting drones out of the sky, that will be me. If they’re low enough #4 buckshot in 12 gauge should do it. But if they’re waaay up there I’ll have to whip out my Remington 700 in 308 Winchester/7.62 NATO. (Shhhh... don’t tell anyone) ;)

Archived