Running A DAW on Windows Server

audioicon

• Members

Have you or do you know anyone who runs a DAW on Windows Server OS?

Apart from my Music computer, everything else is run on Windows Server. It is a blessing for me because I can go as lean as possible in terms of what I use as a feature.

I would say about 80% of the issue I have on Windows regular OS do not exists on the Server Level.

The only issue I have had in the past is one of the Network Cards on a MOBO did not work on Windows Server 2012 and so I had to replace it.

On one of my dev machines, I run the entire Adobe Suite and there are no issues.

I am going to experiment with installing a DAW on a server OS and see what happens interns of performance. The objective is, given Windows Server runs very little services and is less susceptible to issues occurring in other OS, will my system sun smoother, most importantly when it comes to conflicts and other driver issues.

I am just curious.

• Members

I used to run stuff on NT Server and later Win 2000 Server back in the day because they were so light compared to any Windows desktop OS at the time. Since XP SP2 came along I could trim that down, disabling a lot of services and "features" to make it light and faster than any Windows OS before it.

I don't see why you couldn't run DAW programs on the latest Windows server, but I haven't tried it.

I still prefer XP for DAW use and I probably will until the last good motherboard that supports it dies.

• Members
I used to run stuff on NT Server and later Win 2000 Server back in the day because they were so light compared to any Windows desktop OS at the time. Since XP SP2 came along I could trim that down, disabling a lot of services and "features" to make it light and faster than any Windows OS before it.

I don't see why you couldn't run DAW programs on the latest Windows server, but I haven't tried it.

I still prefer XP for DAW use and I probably will until the last good motherboard that supports it dies.

Very interesting.

I no longer use XP but have the Box Disc, if you are ever interested.

I run almost everything on Windows server for the very reason you described. I get less errors and it is so light on resources.

My only concern is driver support but, I am just going to install it on a different drive and see what happens.

Nice to know I am not thinking crazy. :cool:

• 1 month later...
  • Members

UPDATE:

I decided to go ahead and turn one of my Servers into a DAW and so I installed Cakewalk Sonar Platinum, Sound Forge, CD Architect and all drivers needed for Hardware on Windows Server 2012 R2 64.

So far there have been no compatibility issues.

I am getting the best and most reliable performance.

In case anyone wanted to make this jump.

Archived