Gender-Neutral Songs

Mark L

• Members

As we all know there's a move toward gender-neutrality. There will be no more boys, girls, men or women. Everyone will be described as a 'person of neutral gender', or some other such term will be applied

Therefore, I'm assuming that non-gender-neutral song titles will have to be changed to comply with this progression in human-kind

So what have you got? I'll start with the Thin Lizzy classic - The Young Persons of Neutral Gender are Back in Town. Might be a bit of a mouthful to sing, though...

By the way, we'll be discussing this at The Asylum, too. By all means pop along: http://amusicforum.createaforum.com/the-asylum/

• Members
I weighed in at The Asylum this morning when I went for my weekly shock treatment.

The Doors; I'm a Back door gender nuetral entity.

Paul's Dad didn't like the 'Yeah, yeah, yeah' refrain, did he? He thought it was 'too American'. He said he preferred 'Yes, yes, yes' :D

• Members

I'm a Bee of Royal Lineage, whose Title cannot be specified at this time due to certain criteria/constraints placed upon this thread by the Original Poster, ..

.Buzzin' around your hive.

King Bee: Muddy Waters/Slim Harpo

• Members

If gender stereotypes hinder or hurt someone, I'll all for avoiding the stereotypes.

But the notion that the very idea of gender IS a stereotype at all times....not even the bulk of gender scholars and sociologists take that route to my knowledge. It's a quandry, 'tho, because gender is fundamentally a social construct, but some factions of the leading edge seem to think you should invent or mix and match or simply choose your own gender as another form of self-expression.

And there's the paradox that, to be gender-neutral, you have to position yourself right in that tiny ambiguous space between the socially-accepted standard genders. So your gender-neutral position is totally defined by the gender lines. It's a neat trick, but it's no way to find yourself, as you're really defining yourself in reaction to practically everyone else.

I don't think there's any other issue going where the conversation is more confusing, contradictory, uninformed, conflated, and touchy. Maybe a lot more science and a few more generations and massively better education will be needed to really sort this one out. I suspect this current fascination with the topic will burn itself out before long, as all the conversations lead to quagmires and hopelessly confused politics. I have no solution, that's for sure.

nat

• Members
so...does all THAT ^ mean you aren't going to share a song?

I'm betting you must be a 'hoot' at parties...:-)

Yeah, I know, I can be too serious.

It's just that I'm around millenials quite a bit, and man, I can tell you, they would totally freeze at the idea of having a round of jokes at the expense of some side of the gender debate. So since they are the future and I'm not...it's my go-to response to think of how they feel about things as opposed to how my generation feels about things.

I'll be funny later :)

nat

• Members

"You're once, twice, three times a person" - Lionel Richie

"I'm Your Boogie Human" - K.C. & The Sunshine Band

"Altitude Challenged People" - Randy Newman

"Long Tall Homo Sapien In Black Attire" - The Hollies

"Child, You'll Be An Adult Soon" - Neil Diamond

"Person Of Unspecified Race And Gender Pain" - Talib Kwell

• Members

I recall TRYING to learn the feminine and masculine and neuter nouns of Deutch im hoch schule :philpalm::).

I wouldn't want to learn English as a second language either.

What does the word 'wind' mean, and how is it pronounced?

teh wind cries mary

or wind teh fishing reel?

Archived