I wanna bite the hand that feeds me - the best songs about the music industry?

I read an article about the best songs about the music industry. Here's the link:

http://www.msn.com/en-us/music/gallery/the-20-best-songs-about-the-music-industry/ss-AAoVUTv?li=BBnb7Kz

What do you think of their selections? Is there anything you'd add to the list?

Personally, I always thought that Richard Marx had a very good "industry song" with Don't Mean Nothing, and would have added it to the list.

[video=youtube;k8E_dkESwzg]

So... what's your favorite song about the music industry?

• Members

Two songs come to mind immediately, both related to country music.

The first is "Murder on Music Row" by Larry Cordle and Lonesome Standard Time (later to be recorded by Alan Jackson, George Jones and others). Pretty much sums up how country music changed over the years until it was no longer country.

[video=youtube;03AUqXUQDrc]

The second song is "16th Avenue" by Lacy J. Dalton. A song that describes how hard it is to really make it in the business.

[video=youtube;OdwzSXHrZmI]

Ben Folds had a great one with Rockin' The Suburbs, which is as much a commentary about the bands as it is the industry...

[video=youtube;t9uZpbkpESs]

I used to quote that in my sig: "I'm rockin' the suburbs - I take the checks and face the facts, that some producer with computers fixes all my #^&* tracks... " :lol:

This one is about a songwriter who has to meet a publisher's deadline. One Down... and 3.6 to go to meet the 4.6 song requirement he had to hit in order to get paid...

[video=youtube;M2FUY7mTYW8]

John Fogerty's long fight with Fantasy Records was pretty legendary... he wrote this one in "honor" of the label owner, Saul Zaentz...

[video=youtube;wjpAYfCFmJ4]

Fogerty lost a lawsuit filed by Zaentz over the line "Zanz can't dance... but he'll steal your money..." and had to change the name of the song to Vanz Can't Dance.

I don't think the Sex Pistols were particularly happy with EMI when they wrote this one...

[video=youtube;QlFcrtVnfXg]

And staying on the far side of the pond, does anyone else think Nick Lowe was being ever so slightly sarcastic when he said "I Love My Label?"

[video=youtube;sAunCCRtPjM]

• Members

I don't think this one can be beat: Hit Factory/Business is Business by Godley & Crème.

[video=youtube;8sH9Cqmkwcg]

We're all working in a hit

Factory

We're all working

Keep it simple

Keep it neat

Aim your hook

At the man in the street

Throw him the bones

But freeze the meat

'Cos the meat goes off

But the beat goes on

Business is business

Business is business

Business is business

And only the tough survive

Radio fallout

In an open prison

Jazz-based soul tinged

Watered down rhythm

Too many pretty sleeves

With Nothing in 'em

Johnny be good or bad

But not indifferent

Hard-core bland-out

Stocking filler

Soft-sell overkill

Tee-shirts given

Everybody's wearing them

See you at the party tonight

M. O.R. Is good

M. O.R. Is safe

M. O.R. Is here

Just give it to 'em

Never think about it

Force fed

On half dead melodies

Dragged up from the archives

Playing on your sympathies

I'm being brain-washed

And don't know how to block it

'Cos something in the chorus

Burns a hole in my pocket

And I can't feel the pain

When my finger's in the socket

And only the numb survive

Only the numb survive

Only the numb survive

Business is business

Business is business

Business is business

Everyone was doing it

You weren't at the party last night

M. O.R. Is good

M. O.R. Is safe

M. O.R. Is here

Where

Relax, Relax

Relax, Relax

Relax, Relax

Relax, Relax

Maybe you can think of a way

To turn me on

• Members

"Blood Sucking Leeches" by The Dregs. (The Dixie Dregs)

It's an instrumental, so, I suppose it's possible it might actually be about leeches of the type you find in lakes. But then it's from the album Industry Standard, the cover of which shows the band shirtless with their mouths erased.

I saw the violinist, Allen Sloan, in a music store in Columbia, SC in the late 80's-he'd found a new line of work.

Saint Cecilia is the patron saint of musicians...

From Wiki: Simon has suggested that the "Cecilia" of the title refers to St. Cecilia, patron saint of music in the Catholic tradition, and thus the song might refer to the frustration of fleeting inspiration in songwriting, the vagaries of musical fame or in a wider sense the absurdity of pop culture.[1]

• Members

Last night at the VFW, the band played 'Kay'. No one requested it. But I walked up and thanked them when it was over.

2018 will be the 50th anniversary of 'Kay'. I hope Nashville observes it somehow. It's about music, stardom and living in an America racing past our ability to understand. It's about living and dying staring out at Nashville from the window of a cab.

Nobody for my money, not Dylan, L.Cohen or even Mercer and Cole Porter ever topped Kay. It's the earliest and (IMO) by far the greatest cab driver song ever.

---

"Kay, I showed some drunk your picture and he made a smart remark,

So I hit him in the mouth, boy was I mad; Kay, I'm living yet I'm dying

Staring out at Music City from my cab, "

Top that

6Mn7380Q6f0

Archived