Presenting Princess Shaw

electrow

• Members

This is a documentary well worth seeing. Youtube may showcase a lot of talent but also very unique producers too. The film really illustrates just how Youtube is a game changer for the music industry.....

By day, Samantha Montgomery cares for the elderly in New Orleans. By night, she writes and sings her own songs as Princess Shaw on her confessional YouTube channel. Little does she know that her fiery-red hair and soulful voice have captured the attention of a video artist 7,000 miles away on an Israeli kibbutz.

In an unexpected musical mash-up, Princess Shaw finds herself at the center of a viral video hit by Israeli producer Ophir Kutiel, known as Kutiman on YouTube, whose video mixes of amateur YouTube performers have graced the halls of New York's Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum.

Montgomery's bubbly, can-do spirit and Kutiman's quiet genius come together in Presenting Princess Shaw, which offers a heartwarming look at the power of music, both as therapy and as a magnetic force bringing together wholly different personalities and worlds. Directed by Ido Haar, the film follows the pair's parallel stories, as it cuts between Montgomery's struggle to make it big in music and Kutiman's secret plans to make that happen.

More here and cab stream it till end of July on thisPBS site:

• Members

Saw the movie, and it was entertaining.

I think Kuti is the amazing one, and she is lucky that he found her.

She has a decent voice, and writes half-good songs. I think if she collaborated with a good songwriter to bring them to the next level she would have something that could work for me.

But a lot of modern music doesn't work for me because with no release from the tonic key I eventually get bored with it.

I think the movie was worth a Netflix rental.

Insights and incites by Notes

Archived