What I want to know is: will the chip be stylish?

electrow

• Members

Right. Get an implanted chip so you can buy crap food without having to go through the onerous task of pulling a card out of your wallet, or (God forbid!) using actual cash money.

Pass. It's just a matter of time before the chip has a GPS "to protect our employees."

• Members

Oh come on guys.... whats a chip here, a chip there:)..............

Seriously I always thought the coming chip implant phase of our society would be adopted by playing upon people's fears. Anyone remember the "dog tags" you wore in your childhood? As I recall it had your blood type indicated on it. If people are wiling to accept an implant for snacks (who'd ever thought) its not hard to imagine parents lining up to have their babies and children chipped all in the name of "security"...

• Members

Seems to me there's a good argument for such devices if all they do is relocate an ID-confirming object from the wallet/pocket/purse/etc. to an implant that you can't lose or forget to bring. You already have to have certain ID items on your person while driving, to enter secured areas, etc. And it would be a heck of a lot harder to buy a fake implant than a fake driver's license, no?

BUT - this assumes that the implant does exactly and only what they say it does. And that quality control is high enough to prevent infections or other bodily reactions.

I would think that body implants by employers and such should absolutely be a highly regulated procedure legally performable only by licensed outfits subject to inspection and a bunch of rules/regs. Which would drive up the cost, sure - fine with me. If the employer thinks it's so great, let them pay for it and bear the regulatory burden.

nat

• Members

The barrier of the body as an absolute domain of privacy.....will likely erode, friends, neighbors and countrymen. We can already be cavity-searched, right?

And if your body carries socially dangerous and destructive elements (diseases, hidden bombs, coded information, who knows what they'll come up with...) then society's right to invade the body will prevail.

We all recoil from these things - I do, too. But I see it coming...I see generations who will look back at us as luddites and primitives, afraid of the very advances that secure their future lives.....

Or we'll be right and the apocalypse will boom them all into prehensile goo.....let's see, how many apocalyptic predictions have come true so far?

nat

Archived