Harmony Central Forums
Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Summer NAMM 2017

Collapse



X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by MikeRivers View Post
    I have tried that approach with exception to looking for parking on neighborhood streets. I think that as a relatively local resident, you probably have a better idea of where to go and what you can get away with. As one who comes there once a year, I can't depend on finding a nearby legal parking space. Where I live, more and more residential streets are becoming "parking for zone # only." I'm sure that will eventually catch on in neighborhoods within walking distance of the convention center and disneyland.
    Yes, the neighborhood sidestreets off any of the major east/west streets..ie.. Orangewood spinoffs and south. It's not a matter of getting away with anything as these streets are all legal and marked by the city as a-okay parking. Spots are plentiful day after day. It may be that Saturdays are a bit more crowded for spots.... I don't go to Namm on Saturdays...but I know how many neighborhood streets are clumped back in there beyond the main drag and parking is definitely do-able.

    You'll easily see anything that resembles streetsweeping day limitations. I personally don't think some of the inner streets have been swept since 1958. Tract-only parking limitation signage is not a feature of the offshoot neighborhoods, but you do see those on West, Orangewood, etc..

    Comment


    • #17
      Dan - it was great seeing you at NAMM - how did your finals go?

      Keeping the Harmony at Harmony Central

      Comment


      • #18
        Please check out the final Summer NAMM 2017 Report:

        http://www.harmonycentral.com/articl...---show-report
        Keeping the Harmony at Harmony Central

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by Dendy Jarrett View Post
          Please check out the final Summer NAMM 2017 Report:

          http://www.harmonycentral.com/articl...---show-report
          Yeah!!!!! A TUBE TESTER was there!!!! I remember those. In fact, now that Craig posted a reminder photo, I'm sorta in the mood for a big fat VST meter with a green/red area like on old tube testers where the needle only points to Good or Bad. Can someone whip one up?

          Comment


          • #20
            I think they should change their name to IAMM.
            Originally posted by Unconfigured Static HTML Widget...







            Write Something, or Drag and Drop Images Here...

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by bookumdano4 View Post

              Yeah!!!!! A TUBE TESTER was there!!!! I remember those. In fact, now that Craig posted a reminder photo, I'm sorta in the mood for a big fat VST meter with a green/red area like on old tube testers where the needle only points to Good or Bad. Can someone whip one up?
              I must have missed that photo. Is this a new product, or just part of someone's exhibit? Last time I remember a tube tester at a NAMM show was when Aspen Pittman had bought the dregs of a Sylvania tube factory and planned to start making tubes again in the US. He had their hand built research lab tube tester on display in his booth that year. It (the tube tester) was bigger than many of the booths at this year's Summer NAMM. He eventually gave up on the project because it was too expensive to deal with all of the environmental protection requirements.

              I remember seeing, not a full-out tube tester, but a gadget specifically for matching power tubes commonly used in guitar amplifiers. And then there was the custom built tube tester to match up pairs of tubes for a modern version variable-mu compressor (Tube Equipment Corporation, of course). It had 24 or 32 sockets, you filled it up with tubes, and it gave you a listing of the socket numbers with the most closely matched pairs of the lot.

              As far as a tube-tester-like VST meter, that would make a good gag "mastering" plug-in.
              Last edited by MikeRivers; 07-18-2017, 04:40 PM. Reason: I remembered who made the lots of tubes matcher
              --
              "Today's production equipment is IT-based and cannot be operated without a passing knowledge of computing, although it seems that it can be operated without a passing knowledge of audio." - John Watkinson, Resolution Magazine, October 2006
              Drop by http://mikeriversaudio.wordpress.com now and then

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by 1001gear View Post
                I think they should change their name to IAMM.
                As in "International" rather than "National?" They tried something like that a few years back, telling the press to call it "The International Music Marketplace" or something like that rather than "NAMM" but it didn't work. Nobody ever called it anything but "NAMM" so that's what it remains.

                Same thing happened with CES only the other way around. Media often expanded the acronym at least once in their articles, and last year the organization tried to make it clear that it wasn't "The Consumer Electronics Show," they wanted it to be known as just plain "CES."
                --
                "Today's production equipment is IT-based and cannot be operated without a passing knowledge of computing, although it seems that it can be operated without a passing knowledge of audio." - John Watkinson, Resolution Magazine, October 2006
                Drop by http://mikeriversaudio.wordpress.com now and then

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by MikeRivers View Post

                  As in "International" rather than "National?" They tried something like that a few years back, telling the press to call it "The International Music Marketplace" or something like that rather than "NAMM" but it didn't work. Nobody ever called it anything but "NAMM" so that's what it remains.

                  Same thing happened with CES only the other way around. Media often expanded the acronym at least once in their articles, and last year the organization tried to make it clear that it wasn't "The Consumer Electronics Show," they wanted it to be known as just plain "CES."
                  Sounds too much like that other association that starts with NAM. And they can call it NAMM if they want. It should be re-registered as IAMM for every non US member. Must be tons of them.
                  Originally posted by Unconfigured Static HTML Widget...







                  Write Something, or Drag and Drop Images Here...

                  Comment













                  Working...
                  X