Another Eagle Has Landed -

• Members

I think I would like to see Timothy B. get together with some old Poco guys..Joe is thinking of a reunion of sorts with the James Gang..

I think a group featuring Joe W. and Timothy B. would garner my attention.

I have seen Vince Gill live, and really dug his show...

But to see this current line-up billed as 'The Eagles' doesn't seem right to me..

The Eagles as a band would have to include both Frey and Henley... otherwise it would not be The Eagles.

BTW Dendy..your allusions like 'lay an egg' and 'soar on the wings of change' are really trite and lame.

You should be able to do better than that.

• Moderators

Having followed the Eagles closely since 1972 [i bought the single of Take it Easy the day the song broke in NYC, and was playing it with my band three days later], the problem is that Don Henley is not the Eagles. I have been in a several 'heavily Eagles influenced' [not tribute] bands over the past forty+ years.

I was very fortunate to have been at the 'unveiling' for the 'Hell Freezes Over Tour' at Warners' back lot [i was producing at a major LA radio station at the time].

I really like Joe Walsh, but his stint with the Eagles never rang true for me. I also always liked Tim Schmitt; when he replaced Randy Meisner in Poco, I thought it was an excellent choice. I was a huge Poco fan as well. When Schmitt replaced Meisner again in the Eagles, I agreed it was still a good choice, but...losing the guy who wrote 'Take it to the Limit'? Never made sense to me until later.

Bernie Leadon, who had been a Flying Burrito Brother [with Rick Roberts] introduced Don Felder at a concert at the Santa Monica Civic [i was sitting front row...good connections ], and then announced he was done...I was deeply saddened by his departure, I had been aware of him since before the Linda Ronstadt era, like with the Dillards.

I was not surprised when the Felder departure happened....It had seemed to me that the bonds that once held that band together had been broken when they all walked off the first time.

So, frankly, the Eagles are not back, the Don Henley Band is touring as the Eagles. Not the Eagles, but a simulation...

They were once the pre-eminent American band...but with only one founding member left...it can't be the same.

• Members

This is a great matchup. I always loved the stuff Vince Gill did in Pure Prairie League, and though I haven't followed his subsequent work in country music much, what I have heard was always very tasty stuff.

For those who say 'it's not the Eagles' I can reply that the same could have been said when Randy Meisner, Bernie Leadon, and Don Felder left the group. Or when they stopped doing Jack Tempchin songs. You can't live in the past forever. As the song says "Get Over It".

• Moderators

Except that they left singly, each being replaced capably, and Frey, Henley, Meisner, Felder and Schmitt all wrote hit songs after the first two albums that really moved the Eagles out of the 'country' side of country rock and into the mainstream. The personnel changes did change the band, they were evolving, making the strengths of the new members work for the band, but there was always the Frey/Henley core, plus Don Felder [being the first replacement...40 years ago...].

This is not evolution, this is cashing in on four decades of group work by one remaining original member.

The Beatles analogy is apropos in the sense that this is going to be little more than a rehash of the old material, and any new material will undoubtedly be under Henley's control.

I have nothing against Vince Gill, either, but calling this the Eagles is like calling Roger Waters' band Pink Floyd.

But by all means, go see them when they tour in your area...I'll bet the renditions of the classics will be letter perfect...

I am so 'over it' and have been for well over a decade...

Archived