Helix + EV ZLX-15P, tips on best configuration

CB3874

• Members

Hello,

I just picked up 2 EV ZLX-15P monitors to go with my Line 6 Helix and was wondering if someone can provide some tips to get the most out of the setup. I was previously using 2 Emotiva Airmotiv 6 monitors with and a KRK Rokit 10" Subwoofer. I plan on using it for bass and guitar.

Also, how would the EV ZLX-15Ps handle a jam with a Roland VDrums Kit, Helix, and bass simultaneously? Everything will be plug into a Mackie mixer.

Thanks!

• Members

Obviously a lot depends on what you use it for. If you are doing small shows with it, the volume might be limited. If it is a studio monitoring setup it should be fine.

I run Roland Edrums, bass, guitars and keyboards through my Tannoy monitors using a 225W/channel power amp for small jams all the time, but if there are more than 6 or 8 listeners and I need more volume, I turn off the monitors and use a pair of JBL Eons on tripods instead. Those are 400W apiece, so the pair is more than adequate for venues up to small or medium size clubs.

To get the most out of it, set up the gain staging correctly. With the EQ set flat, feed a 0 dB pink noise test tone through the system (with speakers off!) and set gain trim, channel faders, submix bus faders and master faders so the meters indicate 0 dB at each fader point. Once done, pull the master fader down by 20 or 30 dB, run some music through ,then turn on the speakers and bring it back up to the desired listening level. Thats about all that can or needs to be done.

Archived