My New Album "Simplicity" Is Now Posted on YouTube

Anderton

• Members

Well I've had a listen to the album. I never judge an album after one listen - it takes several listens for the songs to become familiar but, as is always the case, some tracks seem to stand out immediately. In this case the tracks are 'Put Your Hand in Mine' (loved the guitar break), 'Kissed in the Summer Rain' (rather abrupt ending!), and 'Tell Me Something Nice'

Here endeth my initial brief review

• Members

I listened to the opener ''Radical Faith' so far..and as I am typing this listening to the beginning of the second tune with the uke chords...I don't know if you were in anyway influenced by the Philly band 'The Hooters' ?

more than likely, no..but they are one of my fave bands of the 1980s...

There is a remarkable resemblance in your vocals, phrasing, the reggae like drums, etc.

Eric Bazilian and Rob Hyman ..the .incredibly talented musicians and songwriters of The Hooters.

Thing I loved about 'The Hooters' was their choice to use organic sounds like the Mandolin and Melodica, like your choice with the uke and harmonica, when everyone else in the 80s was synth drums and cheesey chain saw sounding keyboards.

Nice Craig..looking forward to hearing the rest of the album.

• Members

Listened to the album all the way through, just taking notes as I did. It's another great effort Craig and as always, I'm pretty amazed at the production qualities throughout. I've some impressions to share...

Radical Faith Good song! Vocals are spot on, good lyric! Acoustic is too piezo-pickupy for me...But then you know my particular prejudice in that area so one comment about that should suffice for the album. The electric guitars are tight and really tasty tone! Great slide stuff!

The Gift Of Goodbye Really cool use of heavy and light dynamics.The almost theremin like parts are tre cool, dug that a lot. Great slidey stuff again!. Really good lyric!

To Say No Would be a Crime Love the harp here...Maybe my favorite all around lyric on this album

I'll Take You Higher Real "Gloria" vibe on this....Taste "Them" all through this one. Coulda been from the early sixties...Probably could be on an oldies station and none would question it's vintage. Absolutely heavenly harp work.

Play The Game Spygirl trippy, psychedelic flavor. love the uke break with the crunchy guitars underneath. Stellar guitar solo!

Our Independence Day A lot of these songs seem to deal with separations...More really great harp and uke work. Really, really dug the hard left, reverby backups in that one spot...was hoping for more of that...Great song!

Put Your Hand in Mine Really dug the groove on this one. Has a kind of Split Enz type flow and uniqueness to it. F'n great guitar break!11

Kissed in The Summer rain Trippy start, real summer of Love vibe to the whole piece. beautifully understated, toneful guitar underlayment. Great break. Really great vocals and lyric!

Lucky Weather Real whimsical to my ears...A delight.

Tell me Something Nice YEAH! LOVE THIS ONE! Great guitar tones and work! Love the Farfisa sounding organ parts! really stand out! GREAT lyrics and sung really well. Topical yet universal subject matter...Stand out tune....

Cool album Craig! ya dun it agin'!

Edit: Just noticed that my buddy Luke was posting here while I was writing my post. The first three people to comment on your new album are Brain Vomit guys...Mebbe you should drop by sometime!

• Members
Just noticed that my buddy Luke was posting here while I was writing my post. The first three people to comment on your new album are Brain Vomit guys...Mebbe you should drop by sometime!

Actually I did stop by awhile ago when you were being self-deprecating and I wanted to see if it was justified...IIRC I said you shouldn't be concerned about your voice :) I haven't stopped by recently but there's probably new stuff I should check out.

To give a bit of background...aside from the last cut, this album was started in September 2016, finished recording in April 2017, and mixed/mastered in May which is extremely fast for me. After "Neo-" I wanted to do something simple, kind of to cleanse the palate before starting on my next project "Joie de Vivre," which is going to take a long time and return to having videos.

Anyway since "Neo-" brought the 60s vibe up to date with modern technology, I wanted "Simplicity" to update a more 50s vibe. Simple song structures about love and loss, not a lot of chords, sentimental, using women's names and I even used the word "baby" in a song...a first for me :) Many, maybe most, of the tracks were one or two takes. Because everything was so simple, the album basically mixed itself - when there are only so many instruments in a song, there are only so many ways you can mix them.

The harmonica came about because I really liked it on "When the Grid Goes Down" and wanted to use it more. The ukulele was a fluke (geddit?). I didn't expect to use it as much as I did, but the higher/nylon timbre was a great balance to the guitars, and gave a novel sound. It was weird doing an album that had only two guitar solos (the one in "Spygirl" and the tribute to Wes Montgomery in "Put Your Hand in Mine") but sometimes the song tells you what it wants to do.

I'd played this for a few people and the first reaction was usually "Huh? Not what I expected." Then the second reaction was "This is growing on me." It sort of creates its own environment and either you want to be in it...or you don't :) Women seem to like it more than men.

The next project is getting back to EDM, but I want to go into the future of it. I have some ideas about how to do this, we'll see if they pan out. I feel dance music has gotten into a bit of a rut and I want to make some changes.

• 1 month later...
  • Members
It's completely different from "Neo-"...below is the link to the complete album, each song is also posted individually. Yes, those are ukuleles and harmonicas you're hearing...

Stumbled on this while looking for another thread.

Love the sound: Hand In Mine: Is the best, that delay at the end is ethereal.

Archived