How to Make Amp Sims Sound More "Analog"

• Members

I wrote an article with the above title several years ago, but it relied on audio examples that were "lost" during one of the various ill-fated platform changes. I found the audio examples, and created a YouTube video with them to accompany a revised version of the article. Hope you find it useful...I'm going to start digging around for other articles that are missing audio examples, and create videos for those as well.

[video=youtube;dHdSr8UrSZI]

• Members

Thanks a ton - very useful stuff. I tread this circle where I'm saying, "I'm just going to give up on direct-recording electric guitar through the DAW" but the massive convenience of direct recording tempts me back until I get disgusted with the tone all over again and ostensibly swear it off again.

I was impressed with your tips the first time around but Iost track of the article - so again thx...

nat

• Members

I think it takes more effort to get good tone with an amp, no question about it. But the sims are getting better, and figuring out how to get the most out of them is becoming clearer. De-esser in front of sim is another technique that can make a big difference - it's like rolling off the tone control to get a creamier tone, but more responsive because it interacts with your guitar.

• CMS Author

Why not just get a simulator that sounds like an amplifier? Is that what "sounds more analog" means? If simulators aren't up to the task, why fight them?

Oh, I know, you want to record your guitar at home while the wife or baby is sleeping, or the dog is howls out of tune every time you hit a certain chord.

Never mind.

• Members

No...I want to have a zillion different amps and effects, with tubes that never wear out and multiple speaker cabinets I could never afford. But there's there little thing that stands in way...the "digital fizz." Once that's gone, life becomes beautiful :)

Direct recording also has the advantage of allowing you to record multiple people simultaneously without having to be too worried about bleed - which can be a significant issue when recording at home, whether it's outside noises you're worried about or bleed from other musicians. Not that I mind a bit of bleed from other musicians, but again, most homes lack any significant isolation short of putting things in opposite ends of the house... and even when you do that you still have the potential for outside sounds to bleed in and ruin a take.

• Members

Nice informative video Craig, I just wish you would have shown the actual DAW/plugin window instead of that mid 1990s screen...

If we had this conversation 10 years ago, I would have had a few choice words for guitar amp simulators. As a matter of fact, I threw out my POD XT in 2007. I could have sold it but the thought that someone would have used it to make crappy sounding records with that really bothered me... one less POD XT in the world made perfect sense to me at the time.

Now in 2017, the technology is so damn good, I hardly use a real amp anymore for myself. The only time I prefer to use an amp is if the player is more comfortable using his tried and true live rig. Aside from that, I`m plugging straight into the interface and working ITB.

Just off the top of my head, the guitar amp simulators from Waves, NI, and UAD give me all the flexibility I need. I honestly cannot hear the difference in a mix anymore.

• Members
Nice informative video Craig' date=' I just wish you would have shown the actual DAW/plugin window instead of that mid 1990s screen...[/quote']

Yeah...there never was video footage, just the audio. Better than nothing, eh?

Just off the top of my head, the guitar amp simulators from Waves, NI, and UAD give me all the flexibility I need. I honestly cannot hear the difference in a mix anymore.

I really don't think most other people can, either. And with a decent FRFR system, they feel "right" for me live.

• Members

I'm such a neophyte at this DAW thing...I'm working at it but the thing that bugs me is that I seem to have to record my instrument dry, then apply the amp sim software, effects etc. It's daunting at the least. I keep at it though. I've only been using a real DAW software for 6 months so far so I've barely scratched the surface I guess. I'm glad there's guys like Craig to sort of shine a light in the vast tunnel for guys like me.

• Members

If you lived next door, give me one evening and you'd have it nailed :)

Your DAW will record it dry, but that doesn't mean you can't monitor it through the sim itself while you're playing. Think of it like re-amping, except you don't have to do all kinds of patching and stuff. Whether the latency is acceptable or not when you do this depends mostly on your computer, and also, the audio interface drivers; there will be a little bit of delay when monitoring through a sim.

The advantage to this kind of system is that you can change the amp sound later if needed. Or, you can just use a Kemper, Helix, AxeFx, DigiTech multieffects, etc. to process your guitar, and record the processed sound. This are very effective solutions, but pricier than the typical amp sim.

• Members

I'm doing less and less dry tracking any more. It seems like the effects that inspire my playing while tracking also fit well with the song.

However, I don't use plugin amp sims for this. My secret weapon is my $99 Fender Champ which has built in overdrive, amp/cab emulation, and a great selection of effects. It is amazingly versatile.

I run a 1/8" to 1/4" plug from the headphone out to a direct box, then use an XLR to get it to the console. (The 8" chinese speaker is pretty horrible, but the sound of the electronics is very good).

• Members

The problem I have is latency. I can monitor it with the effect/amp sim running along in kind of sympathy to the dry signal, but there is that brief delay that throws me off. I probably need to go from 8 gigs of RAM to 16...Maybe also get a soundcard...Perhaps it's the interface slowing things down a bit. (Scarlett 212). I haven't yet figured out to make a minscule shift in tracks in Sonar yet either...So most of my problems are just my own shortcomings in using Sonar perhaps.

I ain't giving up though...Time is what I'm in short supply on...

• Members

RAM won't solve the latency...make sure you have the latest Scarlett drivers. The main determining factor will be how low you can set the latency (use SONAR's Preferences) without the audio breaking up or acting weird, which will depend more on your CPU speed than anything else. The fewer tracks, the lower you can set latency so if possible, record your guitar tracks early in the song...or create a premix of your tracks, open up a new project, load the two-track premix, record your guitar, then transfer the guitar part to your "big" project.

• Members
RAM won't solve the latency...make sure you have the latest Scarlett drivers. The main determining factor will be how low you can set the latency (use SONAR's Preferences) without the audio breaking up or acting weird' date=' which will depend more on your CPU speed than anything else. The fewer tracks, the lower you can set latency so if possible, record your guitar tracks early in the song...or create a premix of your tracks, open up a new project, load the two-track premix, record your guitar, then transfer the guitar part to your "big" project.[/quote']

At first i WAS having all kinds of janky things going on with the audio tracks...Crackles, drop outs etc., But I do have the latency issues fairly well under control in those respects. But that's a great idea about creating a pre-mix then putting it in a new project! Thanks for that one Craig!

Funny though...I don't do BIG projects..Lol...Those require big talent and big ideas...Lol...

• Members

I have a 64-bit Win10 laptop with 16GB RAM, i7 CPU, solid state hard drive....and I still have latency issues - Roland QuadCapture.

But really, with Sonar, if I want to track something with as little latency as possible I just bounce all the backing tracks down to one audio track, archive everything except the backing track and the new empty track I'm recording to. With quick grouping in Sonar, it takes no time to speak of - go get a drink of water while the tracks are bouncing down.

I just erase the bounced backing track when I'm done and un-archive all the original tracks to get back to normal.

nat

• Members
I have a 64-bit Win10 laptop with 16GB RAM, i7 CPU, solid state hard drive....and I still have latency issues - Roland QuadCapture.

But really, with Sonar, if I want to track something with as little latency as possible I just bounce all the backing tracks down to one audio track, archive everything except the backing track and the new empty track I'm recording to. With quick grouping in Sonar, it takes no time to speak of - go get a drink of water while the tracks are bouncing down.

I just erase the bounced backing track when I'm done and un-archive all the original tracks to get back to normal.

nat

Thanks Nat! Another good idea!

• Members
The problem I have is latency....Perhaps it's the interface slowing things down a bit. (Scarlett 212).
Not sure if you have the older or newer Scarlett (v2) but if you have the old one the newer drivers for v2 are much improved and work with the older units. If that's not good enough for you consider the Zoom UAC-2 or if you can afford it an RME Babyface Pro or an older used Babyface. If you have a big budget consider the Antelope Zen Tour which sports an FPGA chip that lets you run their guitar sims in 0 latency mode direct. UA Apollo Twin does the same thing. Those are 4 options on the hardware level that should improve things for you and of course Craig's article and video's.

• 1 month later...
  • Members
I've always felt if you can't say it in 8 tracks' date=' it may not be worth saying.[/quote']

If you can't get there on your bicycle, it's not worth going.

If you can't do it with an sm57, you don't know what you're doing (or variations on that)

If you would go out with someone like me, you're not worth going out with.

If you can't walk on the right side while texting, you certainly shouldn't be driving.

If you can't spell Murfreesboro, you have no business being in Tennessee.

If I have 8 tracks and fill them up, and someone says the tracks need more air, then I need more tracks.

If I believe people are basically good and I want to give 8 tips for an outstanding life, it's not worth saying because they'll get stolen and posted on youtube.

I've always felt that if God wanted me to practice more in 1969, she wouldn't have given me 8 tracks to overdub lead guitar comps on.

I've always felt that if you get a really good record deal on the basis of a crummy cassette demo, then you probably don't exist.

I've always felt that if my record company insists I be paired with David Foster for production, then the album's not worth doing.

Let's seeeeee.... I have a couple more minutes to kill.......

• Members

The operative word here is "may" not be worth doing. That doesn't preclude adding more tracks if it can be done in eight. IOW - it's similar in concept to "any song that sounds awesome with just an acoustic guitar and piano is probably a truly awesome song."

• Members

I have a kemper... i still found this video useful

I don't know if the "rogue frequencies" are a product of sampling, digital technology, or poltergeists, but it seems to be something that happens with digital. I've even encountered it in final two-track mixes...but don't know if it was a function of the mix, or a track or tracks within the mix.All I know is a notch makes it sound better :)

Archived