For Video Soundtracks, Computers Are The New Composers

• Members

Is this more bad news for the music industry??

From NPR

"Tomas Villegas was looking for information about a product on YouTube, but couldn't find it. "So I thought, well, I'm sure there's other people looking for it. So I made a video." Four years later [he] has a side business doing product reviews on his YouTube channel. He found that adding a little music really improved his videos. But he hit a snag. Music is expensive. Villegas would either have to pay for rights or pay a composer. "I[F]or me to pay a composer for 52 separate custom songs ... wouldn't make sense in the return on investment for me." Then Villegas discovered Jukedeck, a company that creates and sells computer-generated music. Jukedeck charges as little as 99 cents a track for a small business and $21.99 for a large business.

"As Cope sees it, composers who write soundtracks and jingles may need to look for another job. "It's going to go that way eventually," he says. "It may be 20 years from now, it may be 50 years from now, it may be two years from now. But, no matter when it is, it's going to happen. Period.""

Full article at http://www.npr.org/sections/alltechconsidered/2017/05/29/530259126/for-video-soundtracks-computers-are-the-new-composers

• Members

What computers have enabled is "the look and feel of music" without the soul. When you listen to those AI-generated pieces of pop music, you get the same vibe...it's not music born of experience.

I'm really not sure what to make of this. Will being swamped with "music-like" music make us appreciate the real thing more, or numb us? I dunno. But sci-fi people have long thought that machines will take over from humans for a variety of reasons. In many ways, the process has already started...look at all the industrial jobs now handled by robots and machines. Now we have creative ones being handled as well. Once machines can replicate and repair each other and don't need us, it will be interesting to see how humans occupy their days :)

• Members

The original intent seems to be for background music - that fill music that adds something to a video, the viewer knows its there, but it is not the focus of attention. That being said, today folks seem to use music as nothing more than filler and background as it is. There seem to be fewer and fewer folks who really listen to music anymore (much less play music - and that group that plays seems to be the primary ones listening). Will anyone really care what the music is in the background?

In some ways it reminds me of the automobile. The autonomous car is supposed to be the next big thing. Listening to some of the folks pushing these vehicles, driving will become a thing of the past. Another activity we no longer engage in, but simply have something else do it for us. Much like streaming music I have heard the argument raised that within the next 20-30 years no one will own a vehicle, you will simply have one come by and take you where you want to go and you pay when you arrive - much like an automated Uber taxi service.

The prevailing theme through all of this is what you alluded to in your last line. What happens when we have machines doing all the work? How will a capitalist society continue to function? What will we do with the time? Do we become stagnant? Do we explore? Some great Sci-fi novels have been written on this subject alone!

• Members

I listened to Emmy Vivaldi. It's not good enough for featured music IMO. But it would serve its purpose as segue music or background music for a narration. Overall, I think this technology serves a useful purpose. It enables creators to produce more professional-sounding content. It also gives composers another tool to produce and get paid for creating music.

Archived