Sgt Pepper 50th anniversary edition

• Members

Listening to the 50th anniversary remix of one of my favorite albums on Amazon Prime right now; pretty damn impressive.

Do yourself a favor and give it a listen, best Beatles' stereo mix I've ever heard.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Was cranking the new 5.1 surround mix of the album yesterday. Pretty damn cool!

Lucy in the Sky sounds like a different song.

Everything is so clear and present, more like a real band playing than the original mono and stereo mixes.

• Members

Was never my favorite Beatles album. I like it much more now than ever before.

I liked it a lot as a kid, but outgrew it in favor of the one before it (Revolver) and the one after it (White Album).

I'm floored by what they were able to do and hope they consider doing it to a few more of their albums.

• Members

I liked it a lot as a kid, but outgrew it in favor of the one before it (Revolver) and the one after it (White Album).

I'm floored by what they were able to do and hope they consider doing it to a few more of their albums.

Rumors are that there will be a similar set for the White Album next year.

• Members

To give people a bit of background who may not already know this stuff, back in the day the mono mixes were preferred and the stereo mixes were a quick afterthought they didn't spend much time doing. The mono "Sgt Pepper's" is quite a bit different including things like "She's Leaving Home" plays at a different speed. But the mono mix has largely been forgotten in favor of the stereo releases over the years.

This new stereo mix is, among other things, an attempt to create a stereo version of the original mono mix.

Also, while the album has been remastered a couple of times over the years, this is the first time anyone has gone back to the original multi-tracks, including those that were "bounced". (It was recorded using two four-track machines). So it is quite fresh and clean sounding as a result.

I imagine it's controversial among many purists, but I think the results are pretty amazing.

• Members

I like to think of them as Pete Best's failed project.

I think McCartney played bass after Stu Sutcliffe ran off to get married.

Paul's one of those guys that can play anything good...and he knows it:lol:.

Stu was never good enough anyway.

Pete was just the wrong person for that band.

I wish I could time travel to Hamburg.

• Members

I'd like to see that kind of quality improvement applied to old concert video. For me, that's what's missing in the record of rock and roll - high quality video of old performances.

• Members
I'd like to see that kind of quality improvement applied to old concert video. For me, that's what's missing in the record of rock and roll - high quality video of old performances.

Technology can do a lot, but the problem is that source material is usually so awful. In the case of remixing this album, it can be done because the original multi-tracks were recorded great and are still in good shape.

Old concert footage is what it is.

• Members
To give people a bit of background who may not already know this stuff, back in the day the mono mixes were preferred and the stereo mixes were a quick afterthought they didn't spend much time doing. The mono "Sgt Pepper's" is quite a bit different including things like "She's Leaving Home" plays at a different speed. But the mono mix has largely been forgotten in favor of the stereo releases over the years.

This new stereo mix is, among other things, an attempt to create a stereo version of the original mono mix.

Also, while the album has been remastered a couple of times over the years, this is the first time anyone has gone back to the original multi-tracks, including those that were "bounced". (It was recorded using two four-track machines). So it is quite fresh and clean sounding as a result.

I imagine it's controversial among many purists, but I think the results are pretty amazing.

I thought sgt pepper was their first official stereo release.

I agree about the latest one sounding great. The seperation is really apparent and the vocals sit in the mix a bit differently. Sounds like more reverb on a couple vocal tracks too. Some of the background harmonies are more pronounced. The counting on day in the life has been brought forward too.

• Members
I'm a Stones guy.

But, I might give it a listen on Spotify.

Not to stray from topic, but I didn't gain a full appreciation for the Stones until later in life.

Sirius had a dedicated Stones channel, and listening to it really made me appreciate the depth, breadth, and consistency of their catalog.

I filled the holes in my collection, and now I listen to them much more than the Beatles.

I'll always consider myself a 'Beatle Guy,' but sort of in the same way that my sister, who moved to Tennessee right after College in Virginia, considers herself a 'Jersey Girl.'

Looking forward to setting aside some time to listen to the remix.

• Members

I thought sgt pepper was their first official stereo release.

All their albums came out in mono and stereo simultaneously. Even going back to those very early ones which were recorded twin-track and so therefore "stereo" was simply putting the vocals in one channel and the music in another.

But all through The White Album, they took much more care with the mono mixes. The Beatles themselves were in studio for the mono mixdown of Sgt Pepper's but left when the stereo was being done. Stereo was much more an American thing at the time.

By the time of Abbey Road though, there was no mono mix for that one.

I agree about the latest one sounding great. The seperation is really apparent and the vocals sit in the mix a bit differently. Sounds like more reverb on a couple vocal tracks too. Some of the background harmonies are more pronounced. The counting on day in the life has been brought forward too.

Yeah, Giles did a good job and I think would have made the old man proud. For those of you who like surround sound, he could have been a bit more adventurous with the mix just for the fun of it. (Loved what he did with the "Love" soundtrack) but it's still really cool to hear so much separation with the vocals and guitars. It's like being in the studio with them.

• Members

Not to stray from topic, but I didn't gain a full appreciation for the Stones until later in life.

Sirius had a dedicated Stones channel, and listening to it really made me appreciate the depth, breadth, and consistency of their catalog.

I filled the holes in my collection, and now I listen to them much more than the Beatles.

I'll always consider myself a 'Beatle Guy,' but sort of in the same way that my sister, who moved to Tennessee right after College in Virginia, considers herself a 'Jersey Girl.'

Looking forward to setting aside some time to listen to the remix.

I was too young to ever have it be an either/or thing. Love both the Beatles and Stones.

• Members

I really like the Beatles, but the Stones have a blues based foundation that the Beatles don't. They're more visceral. And, they were also cooler, for what that's worth.

There has never been a better run of albums than Beggar's Banquet to Exile on Main Street, IMO.

Except that Exile is way overrated. :lol:

Archived