No announcement yet.

Sgt Pepper 50th anniversary edition

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by guido61 View Post

Yeah, I guess the idea is that there can only effectively be one version available for streaming. We wouldn't want to confuse Alexa.

As far as availability goes, there are already 8 gazillion copies of the original mix in print between the 1987 and 2009 CDs, So it's not like it will completely disappear. Should be easily available to those who want it and if, for some reason, they don't already have it.

And for future generations, for whom this new mix is mostly intended, they won't know the difference and certainly won't be missing anything if they never hear the original. Just like those of us who grew up completely unfamiliar with the original mono never felt like we missed out on anything even though the mono mix is generally hailed as "definitive".

For me, it's always about the music and reaching with it. If this new version helps to reach new listeners who otherwise might not bother, then its all good. Which I'm sure is exactly what the Beatles are hoping for. They don't really need to impress the people who already think the album was perfect.

I grew up with the stereo LP and then later the stereo CD. I heard the mono version for the 1st time a few years ago when they came out with the boxed sets. I was less than blown-away by the mono version. I found the mono version to be a bit punchier than the stereo version, but the lack of stereo content made it boring. I owed a lot of my disappointment to be due to over familiarity with the stereo version. But this new version is different. The songs feel more like a band playing together than the series of overdubs that they were. Here are some of my thoughts upon further listening:

Ringo shines through the most. The drums were well played and well recorded, but they were buried under over-dub haze. You can hear variations in his playing that were hazy before. Never knew there was a strong kick drum on the Lucy in the Sky verses.
    My least favorite song, Within you Without You has new life, not only the Indian and classical instruments, but George's voice is mixed better than the original.
    Guitar solos all sound substantially better, from the opening solo of Sgt Pepper, to the long Fixing a Hole solo, to Paul's blazing Good Morning Good Morning solo.

Maybe we can all just agree that Bush was stupid and Cheney was lying and call it a day. - guitarcapo

Originally posted by Grumpy_Polecat View Post
    For the record: Hitler using gas to exterminate his presumed enemies does not equal the use of chemical weapons.
    Reprehensible as it was, gassing was a conventional and accepted method for execution at the time. It is a stretch to equivocate the two.

Comment

Alexa can't find the limited edition 2009 sgt. pepper or the deluxe edition 2017. Both editions are available for unlimited streaming. But she will play the album sgt pepper by the beatles.
      I'm not a rookie

Comment

• guido61
        guido61 commented
        Editing a comment
        what's the limited edition? I know they remastered the original mono and stereo mixes in 2009, but was there another version?

• ohmygod
        ohmygod commented
        Editing a comment
        You are right the limited edition has the mini documentary. So yeah i was confused too It looks like they are streaming the original 1967 and the new 2017 deluxe edition

The 5.1 mix of "Love" is AMAZING. But it was created to be a soundtrack for a circus performance, so all of that makes sense.

I recently heard a demonstration of a 22.1 mix of "A Day in the Life" at an experimental facility at Stanford.

I don't know what they used for source tracks. It was amazing, but the drums were still panned mostly on the left hand side so it sounded familiar.

Comment

Originally posted by Zooey View Post

I recently heard a demonstration of a 22.1 mix of "A Day in the Life" at an experimental facility at Stanford.

I don't know what they used for source tracks. It was amazing, but the drums were still panned mostly on the left hand side so it sounded familiar.

That must have been cool! But yeah....how do you get a 22 channel mix out of "A Day in The Life"?
        Last edited by guido61; 05-30-2017, 11:18 AM.

Comment

That must have been cool! But yeah....how do you get a 22 channel mix out of "A Day in The Life"?
          Single tracks or more likely stems must have been spread over multiple speakers. The control room is in the shape of a sphere with speakers on all sides, including directly above and beneath the listener.

Comment

Single tracks or more likely stems must have been spread over multiple speakers. The control room is in the shape of a sphere with speakers on all sides, including directly above and beneath the listener.

Well yeah, but there aren't 22 single tracks or stems to that song. If you break down all the tracks that eventually were all bounced down to the final 4 tracks, I believe there were at most 11 tracks used.

They could have pulled out things that were put together on the same track, I suppose ( like a guitar bit that might have been recorded on an unused bit of a vocal track, if such a thing occurred) or added reverb/echo to new track for ambiance.

Odd that they would have chosen THAT song for a demo of a 22 channel system and not something that actually was recorded with at leasthat many tracks.t

Comment

Moved from HCPP to SSS with E-money's kind permission so we can share this popular, music-related thread with a wider HC audience.

Please feel free to continue the discussion...

"Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."

- George Carlin

"It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."

- Sir George Martin, All You Need Is Ears

"The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."

- Bob Lefsetz, The Lefsetz Letter

Comment

Odd that they would have chosen THAT song for a demo of a 22 channel system and not something that actually was recorded with at leasthat many tracks.t
                The main demo was a vocal choir performance recorded with what they call a "3D microphone array" and played back as if you were standing in a specific spot in the Hagia Sophia (completely with reflected sounds from the floor). I don't know the methodology for the Beatles demo.

Comment

The main demo was a vocal choir performance recorded with what they call a "3D microphone array" and played back as if you were standing in a specific spot in the Hagia Sophia (completely with reflected sounds from the floor). I don't know the methodology for the Beatles demo.
                  Sounds very cool. Wish I could have heard it!

Comment

Except that Exile is way overrated.
                    I always liked it for having such a muddy, chaotic, yet delightful mix. Gorgeous slop.

Simplicity, my new album project, is now streamable from my YouTube channel.

Subscribe, like, and share the links!

Comment

I have the deluxe set with the new stereo mix, the 5.1, and the original mono mixes of all of the songs. I bought this album in 1967 on the day it came out (stereo) and it confused the hell out of me, as did Revolver when I first heard it. Repeat listenings have lead me to uncover the beauty and creativity that I missed the first time through.

Last week, I listened to all three versions on the deluxe album and love them each. The 5.1 version was so beautiful and present that I felt like I could reach out and touch Lennon as he sang "Good Morning Good Morning."

I've lived with this album for 50 years and I absolutely love every iteration that I have heard. I hope they will do the same with "The Beatles" for the 50th of THAT album. And Abbey Road ...
                      Last edited by famouspatrick; 06-05-2017, 09:31 PM.

Comment

I'm in...I'll buy it
                        Simplicity, my new album project, is now streamable from my YouTube channel.

Subscribe, like, and share the links!

Comment

Originally posted by famouspatrick View Post

I've lived with this album for 50 years and I absolutely love every iteration that I have heard. I hope they will do the same with "The Beatles" for the 50th of THAT album. And Abbey Road ...
                          I'd love to hear an exceptionally well done 5.1 mix of Abbey Road. That would rock - and since it was waxed on an 8 track deck, there should be a lot more there for the mixer to work with.

"Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."

- George Carlin

"It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."

- Sir George Martin, All You Need Is Ears

"The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."

- Bob Lefsetz, The Lefsetz Letter

Comment

I was 13 when Sgt. Pepper came out. Had a mono record player that could play LPs and 45s. Listening endlessly to it pretty much defined the summer of 67.

I never had an actual stereo until 1970 - so that's when I first heard the stereo versions of the older Beatles material. And my immediate thought in was, "Oh, stereo was too new then. They didn't know what they were doing, putting the drums and such all on one side."

'Cause by 1970, the more modern treatment of stereo was developing towards something of a norm. Abbey Road was 1969 and it does not yet sound terribly dated (altho' it's not orthodox by modern standards, as the kick and vocal and bass are not always centered). That's an amazing thing, thinking about it....

So, being something of an historical artifact meself, I can truly say, the stereo Beatle mixes were mostly "second market" stuff, especially the earlier the material, not primary market stuff. And it showed.

So I'm a-ok with the Giles Martin remix. Shoulda been done a long time ago - but probably could not have been done when there were more Beatles around to argue about the details and the money and whether Paul is too much in control and all that depressing crap....

nat

Comment

Picked up a copy at Best Buy today and gave it a listen. It sounds so very crisp and clear. Everything, the vocals, the drums, the guitars...Everything sounds so much clearer and crisper. The bass is no longer muddy and Paul's talent really shines through even more than before on that instrument.

Great job Giles..Great job.
                              http://thebasement.createaforum.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X