Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They have a DVD audio version too.
    https://www.amazon.com/Anniversary-P...club+band+50th

I didn't see any audio samples.
    George Washington was the man who never told a lie. Richard Nixon was the man who never told the truth. Donald Trump is the man who doesn't know the difference.
    Venezuela is what happens when you have Trump without the Madison.

Comment

Wouldn't it technically be the 70th anniversary?
      gp

'Gentlemen, please. Rest your sphincters.' --Hedley Lamarr

The above is not to be taken too seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by Hoot Owl View Post
        I'd like to see that kind of quality improvement applied to old concert video. For me, that's what's missing in the record of rock and roll - high quality video of old performances.

Technology can do a lot, but the problem is that source material is usually so awful. In the case of remixing this album, it can be done because the original multi-tracks were recorded great and are still in good shape.

Old concert footage is what it is.

Comment

Originally posted by Hoot Owl View Post
          I wish I could time travel to Hamburg.
          We could go see the Monks!

Last edited by -Ed Phobes-; 05-29-2017, 10:43 AM.
          Originally posted by RobRoy
          There is an "honest grit" to his lying.

Comment

• Hoot Owl
            Hoot Owl commented
            Editing a comment
            Well now, that was entertaining. Dig the hair.

I'm a Stones guy.

But, I might give it a listen on Spotify.

Comment

Originally posted by guido61 View Post
            To give people a bit of background who may not already know this stuff, back in the day the mono mixes were preferred and the stereo mixes were a quick afterthought they didn't spend much time doing. The mono "Sgt Pepper's" is quite a bit different including things like "She's Leaving Home" plays at a different speed. But the mono mix has largely been forgotten in favor of the stereo releases over the years.

This new stereo mix is, among other things, an attempt to create a stereo version of the original mono mix.

Also, while the album has been remastered a couple of times over the years, this is the first time anyone has gone back to the original multi-tracks, including those that were "bounced". (It was recorded using two four-track machines). So it is quite fresh and clean sounding as a result.

I imagine it's controversial among many purists, but I think the results are pretty amazing.
            I thought sgt pepper was their first official stereo release.

I agree about the latest one sounding great. The seperation is really apparent and the vocals sit in the mix a bit differently. Sounds like more reverb on a couple vocal tracks too. Some of the background harmonies are more pronounced. The counting on day in the life has been brought forward too.

Comment

Originally posted by Grumpy_Polecat View Post
              Wouldn't it technically be the 70th anniversary?
              70 years since he taught them to play.

Comment

Originally posted by Daryl Flynn View Post
                I'm a Stones guy.

But, I might give it a listen on Spotify.
                Not to stray from topic, but I didn't gain a full appreciation for the Stones until later in life.

Sirius had a dedicated Stones channel, and listening to it really made me appreciate the depth, breadth, and consistency of their catalog.

I filled the holes in my collection, and now I listen to them much more than the Beatles.

I'll always consider myself a 'Beatle Guy,' but sort of in the same way that my sister, who moved to Tennessee right after College in Virginia, considers herself a 'Jersey Girl.'

Looking forward to setting aside some time to listen to the remix.
                x

Comment

Originally posted by goodhonk View Post

I thought sgt pepper was their first official stereo release.
                  All their albums came out in mono and stereo simultaneously. Even going back to those very early ones which were recorded twin-track and so therefore "stereo" was simply putting the vocals in one channel and the music in another.

But all through The White Album, they took much more care with the mono mixes. The Beatles themselves were in studio for the mono mixdown of Sgt Pepper's but left when the stereo was being done. Stereo was much more an American thing at the time.

By the time of Abbey Road though, there was no mono mix for that one.

I agree about the latest one sounding great. The seperation is really apparent and the vocals sit in the mix a bit differently. Sounds like more reverb on a couple vocal tracks too. Some of the background harmonies are more pronounced. The counting on day in the life has been brought forward too.
                  Yeah, Giles did a good job and I think would have made the old man proud. For those of you who like surround sound, he could have been a bit more adventurous with the mix just for the fun of it. (Loved what he did with the "Love" soundtrack) but it's still really cool to hear so much separation with the vocals and guitars. It's like being in the studio with them.

Comment

Originally posted by slodge View Post

Not to stray from topic, but I didn't gain a full appreciation for the Stones until later in life.

Sirius had a dedicated Stones channel, and listening to it really made me appreciate the depth, breadth, and consistency of their catalog.

I filled the holes in my collection, and now I listen to them much more than the Beatles.

I'll always consider myself a 'Beatle Guy,' but sort of in the same way that my sister, who moved to Tennessee right after College in Virginia, considers herself a 'Jersey Girl.'

I was too young to ever have it be an either/or thing. Love both the Beatles and Stones.

Comment

Originally posted by slodge View Post

I really like the Beatles, but the Stones have a blues based foundation that the Beatles don't. They're more visceral. And, they were also cooler, for what that's worth.

There has never been a better run of albums than Beggar's Banquet to Exile on Main Street, IMO.

Comment

I was too young to ever have it be an either/or thing. Love both the Beatles and Stones.
                        Yeah, I'm exactly your age, and it was Led Zeppelin vs (insert other band) for us.

I remember debating with a buddy that Led Zeppelin was better than Kiss. That seems hilarious now.

Comment

I really like the Beatles, but the Stones have a blues based foundation that the Beatles don't. They're more visceral. And, they were also cooler, for what that's worth.

There has never been a better run of albums than Beggar's Banquet to Exile on Main Street, IMO.

Except that Exile is way overrated.

Comment

• slodge
                          slodge commented
                          Editing a comment
                          As is 'Sgt. Pepper.'

Yet I agree with both of these statements.

• guido61
                          guido61 commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Yeah, "Sgt. Pepper" was never my favorite Beatles album. I always figured it was a "you had to be there" thing to love it so much. I certainly understand the cultural significance of it in 1967.

But, like I said, this new mix opens up a new appreciation of it for me.

Love them both, too.

But I was about 10 years old when I first started getting into popular music, and the Beatles were much more easily digestible.

There are a couple of artists whose catalog I would bring to the proverbial deserted island ahead of the Beatles, but the Beatles are more a part of musical DNA than any of them.
                        x

Comment

Yeah, I'm exactly your age, and it was Led Zeppelin vs (insert other band) for us.

I remember debating with a buddy that Led Zeppelin was better than Kiss. That seems hilarious now.

I remember it being Zeppelin vs Aerosmith. I remember arguing with some guy about whether Page or Perry was a better guitar player.

Obviously, I argued for Zeppelin/Page and won....

I didn't really start to get "into" the Beatles until the late 70s. And while I was up on all the current Stones stuff, I didn't really go back to their 60s catalog until they all got put out in CD.

Bringing it back to this thread, I remember when Capitol released Sgt Pepper's on CD for the first time in 1987 with a big "It was twenty years ago today" campaign. It seem THEN like that album was so old. Twenty years earlier seems unthinkable.

Now it's FIFTY years old? Crazy.

Comment

Working...
                          X